PS hood louver or similar

Hobolobo

Has anybody on here with any type of hood louver seen a noticeable difference in engine temps? Feel free to throw in other brands and how you like them as well. Pics would be nice as I'm a visual person. Thanks guys!
Sorry if there is another thread on this. Search function doesn't work so well on my cellular telephone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Moochie here on the forum has the PS louvers and got it painted to match his silver Jeep. It looks great and I think he seems to think it helps with heat reduction. Maybe he'll chime in.

Moochie

I did have mine painted to match my Jeep. I wanted it to blend in. When you order the PS louver you have the option of black powder coat or bare aluminum. I picked bare and had it painted at a body shop.

It's an easy install, with good directions. I have a V8 under the hood and you can see and feel the heat escaping through the vents. I think it definitely helps by allowing the air to circulate. Especially when the fan comes on. It gives the hot air somewhere to exit after it is pulled through the radiator. It will help keep engine bay temps a little cooler which can extend the life of plastic parts like wiring harnesses.

It will allow a small amount of rain to get in depending on precipitation amounts / weather conditions. It's not a problem in SoCal but, something to think about. It will get dusty in there on a dirt road if following other vehicles.

I'm very happy with it and figure it can't hurt. Every little bit helps in the long run.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394551422.211478.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394551475.796785.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394551549.468411.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394551687.617453.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394551730.437434.jpg

Angry Aussie

I have the ps one and love it. Love the look and you can see the heat coming out through the vents. I'm really happy with mine and love the way it looks. It's nice knowing all that hot air under the hood has somewhere to go.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394552445.031833.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394552477.528744.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394552495.912216.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394552552.628982.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394552571.580231.jpg

I put a couple of led strips in mine and love the way it turned out. But that's just me. I would recommend one for sure.

TheDuff

Dang moochie, u just had to make the cut out perfect... makes mine look like poop:(

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

HDGasser

I'm really digging the color painted option but I opted for the PC black.

And moochie pretty much summed it up, I too have a v8 and can definetly see the heat escaping.

Hobolobo

Thanks guys. Kinda convenient that my rig is black anyways. And i'm really digging the led backlight Aussie.

Devallee

For the guys that have it, does it make a difference if you cut through that cross structure under the hood as well? I think I saw someone that did it but I'm wondering if it makes a difference in air flow, or compromises the structure or strength of the hood? Don't mean to hijack, but I'm planning on getting one of these soon and am curious

NAUXJ

Well it's not exactly the same thing, but I was having over heating problems with my xj, and instead of spending a bunch of money on hood louvers(cause I'm a poor college student) I found a way to raise the back of the hood itself using just some washers and bolts that cost no more than 3 or 4 dollars and it's a very effective fix so far, I'm sure there could be a way to do the same thing on the jk. If you want I can post a picture up on here a little later.

TheDuff

For the guys that have it, does it make a difference if you cut through that cross structure under the hood as well? I think I saw someone that did it but I'm wondering if it makes a difference in air flow, or compromises the structure or strength of the hood? Don't mean to hijack, but I'm planning on getting one of these soon and am curious

It's not recommended to cut through the sub structure. I've seen pictures of people who have and really don't think there is much to be gained by doing so. I think the potential problems out weigh the gains on that one.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

at the risk of sounding bad, i am honest when i say i installed myself, but did not do hood cutouts. with snow and ice and salt in Northeast here (and this winter was BADDDD), i was afraid of all that crap getting in engine bay. these engines are desinged with closed hood so while benefit to cutting is good, i made a careful calculation. Rick at PS said it was no big deal. bottom line is unless you wheel HHHAAARRDD, i wouldn't overthink it

Armydog

I have the PS on the pumpkin but it's been cold as hell here so don't know about the heat. I'll update this summer. But I love the look. Yup, I'm a poser...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394581721.386813.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

tapcola

Love my PS hood louver looks awesome and I live in las Vegas you can see a big difference in the temp also have the Carolina Metal Master kit for the UFOs and footman loop.

kornchip

Looks pretty awesome with the light strips. I like what you did with the grille on another thread here too.

pastorwug

I did a PS hood lover install write up here, May or may not help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom