Purpose of a 4 speed Transfer Case

JKU EXTREME

Okay, so I'm not too terribly offroad savvy. So I just have to ask, what's the purpose of a 4speed transfer case, I'm sure it would be cool to have and use, but I don't know the TRUE function. So if someone could enlighten me, that would be great.

Thanks
-John W.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It just gives you more options. Essentially, you can run your front end separately from the rear and you get two different low ranges - a low and then a lower low.

Indefatigable

Well sort of. One can operate in just the front axle depending on the t-case. It is not 4-speed specific. The Atlas 2 speed does it too. It is a shifter positioning. Twin sticking and dealing with interlock on cases such as the Dana 300, Dana 20, NP205 (usually a gear drive case has this possibility), can achieve drive axle selection.

The choice of 3 different low ranges is nice for when you drive on a variety of terrains. I have 2.7, 3.8 and 10. The 10, or "Stupid slow" I find is really nice for times when you want to go as slow as possible. Awesome for using the gas as your accel and decelerator that I find superior to wheel brakes in slick conditions. The 2.7 is nice for that light wheeling and the 3.8 is nice for crawling.

I think I have used the front dig once or twice in the 5 years I have had it. Depends on your wheeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well sort of. One can operate in just the front axle depending on the t-case. It is not 4-speed specific. The Atlas 2 speed does it too. It is a shifter positioning. Twin sticking and dealing with interlock on cases such as the Dana 300, Dana 20, NP205 (usually a gear drive case has this possibility), can achieve drive axle selection.

:sigh: Yes, this is true and no, it isn't 4-speed specific. My Atlas 2-speed will do this as well. I didn't recall the OP asking about an Atlas 2-speed nor am I aware of a Dana 300, 20 or NP205 being an option for a JK. This is after all, a JK question in a JK tech thread and if you had one, you would know that you can't just go around sticking any ol' transfer case you want on it especially if it is a newer one. Either way, I guess I should apologize for not being more thorough by adding in information that really isn't relevant to the question at hand. :rolleyes2:

Top Bottom