Jku build dilemmas?

Relic

Currently preparing to order a 2014 jku sport, and have a stealership that can install some of the parts that I buy (lift kit, driveshaft, tires, gussets)

since I'm going to run 37's, the only knowledge I lack is what else the jeep needs to handle them at least decently. They are toyo m/t's and 13.5" wide, so I'll have 1.5" spacers on my 17x9 wheels that have 4.5 backspace. Could any of you Pros out here provide any insight on any other stuff I need to buy? I've heard something of steering stabizer relocation stuff (OME makes one with a stabilizer), trackbar stuff, and c-gussets. This will be my hunting/long trailing vehicle so I'm pretty sure c-gussets will be enough for the stuff I typically go over.

Current build list is:

-3.5 RK mid arm X factor lift with bilstein 5100's shocks
-Mickey Thompson Classic locks 17x9 with 4.5" backspace
-toyo mt 37x13.5r17 (no chance of changing my mind on 37's)
-body armor high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier (handles up to 40's)
-smittybilt SRC stinger front bumper with winch (will use winch to pull stuff up to tree stand)
-Tom woods 1310 front driveshaft
-xenon flat fenders
-Old Man Emu steering stabilizer with relocation bracket
-regear to 4.88 (later on after the rest. 3.73 will be a Dog but I'll tolerate it for 3-4 months)
-synergy c-gussets (or the evo gussets)
-trimmed pinch seems
-WAYALIFE sticker

Anything that is required that I'm missing? If this is the wrong location for this I apologize, new to wayalife and can't wait to start this way of life.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Well good to see you are doing some research. I could give some ideas that might save you some money and head aches.

Briguy114

For 37s I would go with a 1350 drive shaft and I would skip the xenon fenders and just trim your stock ones. I haven't heard good things about the xenons

Relic

For 37s I would go with a 1350 drive shaft and I would skip the xenon fenders and just trim your stock ones. I haven't heard good things about the xenons

I definitely consider that, have thought about it, but curious how I'll be able to drive it home with the new tires on with stock fenders. I'm not sure if the dealer will cut them, if not I'll go for bushwackers.

Briguy114

I definitely consider that, have thought about it, but curious how I'll be able to drive it home with the new tires on with stock fenders. I'm not sure if the dealer will cut them, if not I'll go for bushwackers.

With a 3.5 inch lift you should be able to clear them for normal driving without trimming them. Its when you hit the trail and start flexing it out that you will start to rub. Unless you are going straight to the trails then you should be fine for the drive home

olram30

I'm all ears, thank you.

Skip the mid arm set up, you'll have problems with the rear springs. Evo enforcer.
Zenon fenders sag, trim your factory ones. It's free.
Factory ss is fine.
Tom woods shafts aren't the greates, je reel is better.and save up for a pr44 front axle.

Relic

With a 3.5 inch lift you should be able to clear them for normal driving without trimming them. Its when you hit the trail and start flexing it out that you will start to rub. Unless you are going straight to the trails then you should be fine for the drive home

Wow, all the research I've done and still never learned that. Even the turning radius is fine? Thanks, just saved me $500+

MTG

Caught the Bug
Current build list is:

-3.5 RK mid arm X factor lift with bilstein 5100's shocks
-Mickey Thompson Classic locks 17x9 with 4.5" backspace
-toyo mt 37x13.5r17 (no chance of changing my mind on 37's)
-body armor high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier (handles up to 40's)
-smittybilt SRC stinger front bumper with winch (will use winch to pull stuff up to tree stand)
-Tom woods 1310 front driveshaft Go with Coast or JE Reel 1350 DS
-xenon flat fenders Skip
-Old Man Emu steering stabilizer with relocation bracket Skip. Nothing wrong with the stock one
-regear to 4.88 (later on after the rest. 3.73 will be a Dog but I'll tolerate it for 3-4 months)
-synergy c-gussets (or the evo gussets) EVO c-gussets
-WAYALIFE sticker

Anything that is required that I'm missing? If this is the wrong location for this I apologize, new to wayalife and can't wait to start this way of life.
Programmer for the tire size increase, and later for your regear.

You are worried about the tires hitting the fender while driving on the road? :thinking: I think you're bigger concern will be them hitting your pinch seams.

Relic

Skip the mid arm set up, you'll have problems with the rear springs. Evo enforcer.
Zenon fenders sag, trim your factory ones. It's free.
Factory ss is fine.
Tom woods shafts aren't the greates, je reel is better.and save up for a pr44 front axle.

I'll be going pr44 definitely after the jeep is paid off. I checked out the evo lift, do I not need rear control arms? Also what is this "drag link flip kit"?

Last edited:

Relic

You are worried about the tires hitting the fender while driving on the road? :thinking: I think you're bigger concern will be them hitting your pinch seams.

I apologize, I forgot to include that I'll be trimming those.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I apologize, I forgot to include that I'll be trimming those.

Good idea. Mine rubbed the whole way home. My responses were imbedded in your quote above in case you missed them.

Oh and I'd second olram30's recommendation of the EVO enforcer kit.

Good luck!

Relic

Good idea. Mine rubbed the whole way home. My responses were imbedded in your quote above in case you missed them.

Oh and I'd second olram30's recommendation of the EVO enforcer kit.

Good luck!

Didn't notice that, cool feature. Any chance you know what enforcer setup to use? 4" vs 3". What exactly are drag link flip kits?

Last edited:

olram30

I'll be going pr44 definitely after the jeep is paid off. I checked out the evo lift, do I not need rear control arms? Also what is this "drag link flip kit"?

Stock rear lca are fine. You could always upgrade to some currie arms. Flip is to help with bump steer and geometry issues with a higher lift. Just the front control arms are really need to set your caster.

olram30

You could run 37's with either the 3"or 4". You can trim your fenders and pinch seams now. You don't have to wait till after the lift

Relic

You could run 37's with either the 3"or 4". You can trim your fenders and pinch seams now. You don't have to wait till after the lift

Damn you know your stuff. Any chance you know if I need anything to do with steering? Or any track bar changes? Sorry for the 20-questions game. That's just how I learn best

olram30

Damn you know your stuff. Any chance you know if I need anything to do with steering? Or any track bar changes? Sorry for the 20-questions game. That's just how I learn best

The evo flip uses your factory Trac bar. The 600 dollars you saved on fenders can go towards chromoly axle shafts. Hang out here you learn what to do. I learned allot from my first jeep.

Relic

The evo flip uses your factory Trac bar. The 600 dollars you saved on fenders can go towards chromoly axle shafts. Hang out here you learn what to do. I learned allot from my first jeep.

Are the axle shafts a necessity? Because since I'll be spending the money to upgrade to pr44 later down the trail, I only want to reinforce my axle just enough.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Take a look when you get your Jeep but you might be able to skip the pinch seams too. Jeep changed them and cut them back out of the factory starting mid 13 model year. About a month after I bought my 13, rrrrggg..

Top Bottom