Lift Kit Question

moorecb3

Hey guys, Im planning on ordering the RK 2.5in Stock Mod in the next day or two, and in the summer buying the parts to make it a flex system, as money permits. Im also going to get some bump stops and a break line relocation bracket to go a long with this for now, is there anything else i missing that would be beneficial?

Also does anyone have any experience with this lift, or recommend it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you've already done your homework and have brake line extension brackets and bump stop extensions in your list of things to get with it. If you're going to be running bigger/wider tires and are hoping to keep your stock wheels, you will want to get a set of 1.5" wheel spacers as well. Being that you don't have a Rubicon, you might want to get a set of sway bar link quick disconnects for your front axle. I personally am not a big fan of the coils that come with the kit but then, ride quality is 100% subjective.

moorecb3

Awesome thanks for the advice right now I currently have 285/70/17 tires with aftermarket wheels and have not had any problems, Once these wear out I plan on going with 35x12.5 KM2 or something around that area, Do you have any recommendations on a kit that would come with better coils? for around the same price range, I do plan on upgrading the kit little bits at a time. Just gotta take it slow since Im still in college and on a budget.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome thanks for the advice right now I currently have 285/70/17 tires with aftermarket wheels and have not had any problems, Once these wear out I plan on going with 35x12.5 KM2 or something around that area, Do you have any recommendations on a kit that would come with better coils? for around the same price range, I do plan on upgrading the kit little bits at a time. Just gotta take it slow since Im still in college and on a budget.

$550 is hard to beat being that you get coils and a track bar but really, the only thing you can build off of is the track bar. Even up to 3.5" of lift, your factory control arms will still provide good flex and with the exception of a set of front adjustable lowers to set your caster and rear adjustable uppers to set your pinion angle once you get a new rear shaft, there really is no need to replace them. Needless to say, the only thing you will need to keep on this 2.5" kit are the track bar and links.

Having said that, I might recommend that you give the Rancho 3" Sport System a look as it'll come with coils, adjustable track bar, bump stop extensions, extended brake lines, longer rear sway bar links, rear track bar relocation bracket and all for about $600. I personally think the Rancho coils offer a better ride and with their $400 rebate going on right now, it's a hard deal to beat. In fact, you can use the savings to get you a new set of shocks with change left over.

moorecb3

$550 is hard to beat being that you get coils and a track bar but really, the only thing you can build off of is the track bar. Even up to 3.5" of lift, your factory control arms will still provide good flex and with the exception of a set of front adjustable lowers to set your caster and rear adjustable uppers to set your pinion angle once you get a new rear shaft, there really is no need to replace them. Needless to say, the only thing you will need to keep on this 2.5" kit are the track bar and links.

Having said that, I might recommend that you give the Rancho 3" Sport System a look as it'll come with coils, adjustable track bar, bump stop extensions, extended brake lines, longer rear sway bar links, rear track bar relocation bracket and all for about $600. I personally think the Rancho coils offer a better ride and with their $400 rebate going on right now, it's a hard deal to beat. In fact, you can use the savings to get you a new set of shocks with change left over.

I looked at that system but didn't realize that It came with all of the other stuff I was buying, Reguardless of the lift During summer time I plan on adding some control arms. I know that the rock Krawler is advertised at having good flex and not sagging after time when adding bumpers, would the rancho offer the same thing? I don't know much about rancho

Such a hard choice right now 4wd. is offering 20% off rock kralwer products which would make the stock mod $455., and with the rancho rebate I just looked into it and with the 3in sport lift with shocks ($842) I would get a $300 dollar visa card back. So If rancho quality is just as good that may be the best deal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at that system but didn't realize that It came with all of the other stuff I was buying, Reguardless of the lift During summer time I plan on adding some control arms. I know that the rock Krawler is advertised at having good flex and not sagging after time when adding bumpers, would the rancho offer the same thing? I don't know much about rancho

Yeah, that's how they "advertise" it and really, they can do that by offering a dual rate coil. The problem I have seen over the years is that once loaded up, the softer rate portion of the coils go solid and that leaves you riding on the heavy rate lower portion. Sure, you don't sag anymore but your ride quality suffers because of it. No need to take my word for it:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12243-Rides-like-a-tank-RK-3-5&highlight=rides+tank

As far as adding control arms go, is there a reason why you're wanting to do this like setting your caster or maybe, are you planning on installing a new rear drive shaft? Or, are you wanting to add them because you think you need them for better flex? You do know that the amount of flex you have is dictated by the length of your shocks, right?

Such a hard choice right now 4wd. is offering 20% off rock kralwer products which would make the stock mod $455., and with the rancho rebate I just looked into it and with the 3in sport lift with shocks ($842) I would get a $300 dollar visa card back. So If rancho quality is just as good that may be the best deal

With the RK setup, you will still need to get quite a bit more stuff to bring up to the same level as the Rancho kit and so yeah, the later is a much better deal. I run one of their kits on my XJ now and am very happy with it. All their stuff is made in the USA and the quality is all there.

moorecb3

Yeah, that's how they "advertise" it and really, they can do that by offering a dual rate coil. The problem I have seen over the years is that once loaded up, the softer rate portion of the coils go solid and that leaves you riding on the heavy rate lower portion. Sure, you don't sag anymore but your ride quality suffers because of it. No need to take my word for it:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12243-Rides-like-a-tank-RK-3-5&highlight=rides+tank

As far as adding control arms go, is there a reason why you're wanting to do this like setting your caster or maybe, are you planning on installing a new rear drive shaft? Or, are you wanting to add them because you think you need them for better flex? You do know that the amount of flex you have is dictated by the length of your shocks, right?

With the RK setup, you will still need to get quite a bit more stuff to bring up to the same level as the Rancho kit and so yeah, the later is a much better deal. I run one of their kits on my XJ now and am very happy with it. All their stuff is made in the USA and the quality is all there.

The Main Reason I was wanting to add control arms was I also do a lot of highway driving and some of the stuff I have read it handles better at higher speeds with the front lower control arms? I don't think there the most important thing

Im really liking that the rancho comes with a more complete kit, and will keep its smooth ride. How does the rancho preform off road?

One issue I had with the RK was I've heard people getting more like 3.5 inches of lift from the 2.5 kit, does anything like that happen with the rancho, or what should i expect to net.

Top Bottom