How do you feel about....

leximann

How do you feel about a sound system in a JK? I found a local shop that has a MTX 10amp and sub, installed for $299.99.. Stock, in my opinion (especially with road noise), is a bit underequipped but Im not sure how any system would hold up in the JK.. I mean between the sun from going topless and getting bumped around on trails how well would they hold up? Does anyone have any experience?

suicideking

I have a pretty elaborate system in mine, but only because I transferred it from my previous vehicle.

If you have a soft top, you lose a lot of sound. Hard top is better, but still not very good. Some have put in headliners on the hard top. That would probably help a lot.

leximann

Ive read on another website saying that you can fill the sound bar with Poly-Fil? Has anyone tried this? I would assume it would just give it more weight, so the sound vibrations of the bar would be dampened..

Devallee

I have just 2 12" Rockford Fosgate subs and a kenwood head unit and love it. I haven't had any problems with clear sound besides the front dome light rattling (which I've fixed). Other than that the sound is great IMO even topless I still get compliments on it all the time. Of course it's not all about what you have in there but how it's tuned but with subs in and all of the bass routed to the subs, the stock speakers sound much louder and clearer and they're still goin strong to this day in my 09

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ive read on another website saying that you can fill the sound bar with Poly-Fil? Has anyone tried this? I would assume it would just give it more weight, so the sound vibrations of the bar would be dampened..

I cut up a pillow and stuffed it in the sound bar the first week I bought my jeep and haven't had any issues since.

DMF

I use poly-fil and double side foam tape and it's been working pretty good for me.

Jerms

I've got 2 12s in mine, poly filled sound bar w sonys and a stock set up front with a stock navi unit. All I need. I take the sub box out on bigger wheeling trips. It sounds really good until the top is off. At that point it really doesn't matter :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

leximann

I think I might invest in the amp and sub combo, I just filled my sound bar and the difference is amazing! Definitely a motivator for some even better sound!

twitch101

this is what i used to have in my 2 door. sounded great but the folding brace on the soft top prevented it from being able to fold down so i had to pull it. just the subs are shown. they were 8 in kicker cvrs and sounded really good for such a small package. got a lot of compliments. i also run infinity references in all the stock speaker locations on a 700w kicker amp.

system.jpg

now im using bazookas and really TRYING to blow them and they just wont, so that says something about the quality on those.

904Jeep

I remove my subwoofers, amplifiers, and disconnect amplifier power wires from the battery when wheeling. Learned my lesson when getting stuck in water up to the door handles, took water in the cab and destroyed both 1200watt and 500 watt amplifiers. Shouldn't be an issue if you don't wheel in wet areas.

leximann

this is what i used to have in my 2 door. sounded great but the folding brace on the soft top prevented it from being able to fold down so i had to pull it. just the subs are shown. they were 8 in kicker cvrs and sounded really good for such a small package. got a lot of compliments. i also run infinity references in all the stock speaker locations on a 700w kicker amp.

View attachment 75371

now im using bazookas and really TRYING to blow them and they just wont, so that says something about the quality on those.

I love the location of the kickers! I wish it would work better with the soft top... Any other suggestions for location besides in the cargo area? Are the sound bar speakers 6 or 6.5 inches?? I think with 2 new speakers up top, the amp and sub Ill be set!

twitch101

sound bars i believe are 6.5. crutchfield.com will tell you what fits. ideally im looking for somthing that straps or clamps to the roll bar. im thinking this summer i will finally strap my zookas to the roll bar and itll look like i have missle pods on my jeep :rolleyes2:

Ceithre

View attachment 75371

I was Thinking of putting my subs on top of the wheel wells as well how did you secure the sub box?

twitch101

I was Thinking of putting my subs on top of the wheel wells as well how did you secure the sub box?

about 7 tek screws through the box. held good and tight on and offroad. had em covered in mud. sprayed em off. if i did it again id do bed liner. i still have the boxes (they were custom from a local shop.) they just need to be recarpeted or covered. really would like to sell them.

Devallee

For the guys packing the sound bar, how do you do it? Just pull the speakers, fill it up, and bolt em back in? I have no complaints with my system, but if it'll make it sound even better why not?!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
For the guys packing the sound bar, how do you do it? Just pull the speakers, fill it up, and bolt em back in? I have no complaints with my system, but if it'll make it sound even better why not?!

Remove both speakers, stuff the CENTER of the bar tightly (essentially making the left speaker and the right speaker airtight from one another) and stuff the area around the speaker VERY loosely. Reinstall speakers, done.

Devallee

Remove both speakers, stuff the CENTER of the bar tightly (essentially making the left speaker and the right speaker airtight from one another) and stuff the area around the speaker VERY loosely. Reinstall speakers, done.

Thank you. Do you (or anybody else reading this) know how much I need? From what I can see it comes in bags of various amounts

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

leximann

Thank you. Do you (or anybody else reading this) know how much I need? From what I can see it comes in bags of various amounts

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you go to Walmart, in the craft section they sell small and large bags. I bought the large bag, thinking I would need a lot..... I was wrong lol go with the small...

leximann

I found this online. What do you think about mounting the sub here and the amp under the driver or passenger seat?
000_0002.jpg
Not my photo & not taking credit for it

Top Bottom