should I switch to synthetic oil?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I'm approaching the 60,000 mile mark on my 07 JKU. I've been good about changing oil at regular intervals but been using regular ol' dino oil. Knock on wood, I haven't had any oil consumption issues so far nor any engine issues to speak of really. My uncle suggested that I switch to synthetic at my next oil change. He said its superior to dino in every aspect. What do you folks think? If it ain't broke don't fix it (meaning I continue with the dino oil) or switch to synthetic?

Leocon

It is superior in every way....including price...to me its a personal choice and not to be used as a reason not to service your jeep
just my :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know, this is a hard one for me being that I have been using synthetic oil in all my Jeeps for a long time now. Having said that, I had been having some oil consumption issues with my 2012 with it's 3.6L just recently and just for an experiment, tried running dino to see if it would make a difference and....... it did. Still burning a little bit of oil but well within the what Chrysler deems to be normal. Having said that, I still run synthetic in all my other Jeeps.

I know that wasn't much help but, I just thought I'd put it out there.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have been running synthetic for a while and have 50,000 miles on mine. I used that in my last vehicle and felt that it helped it run cooler. A technician told me that regular oil is thicker seals better and that synthetic is thinner and finds its way out.....Now I don't know if there is any truth to that. My rig still burns oil. I do not change mine, but go to a place that will top it off between oil changes. Which works out because I have always had to top it off since day one. I have a 2011.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You know, this is a hard one for me being that I have been using synthetic oil in all my Jeeps for a long time now. Having said that, I had been having some oil consumption issues with my 2012 with it's 3.6L just recently and just for an experiment, tried running dino to see if it would make a difference and....... it did. Still burning a little bit of oil but well within the what Chrysler deems to be normal. Having said that, I still run synthetic in all my other Jeeps.

So you've been using less oil since switching to conventional? Guess there's less escaping past the rings. You've said in the past that you noticed more consumption after running high RPMs for extended periods, correct? I've been checking my oil regularly in my '12 since I saw you post the consumption thread. Knock on wood, it's been on the full line at every 5,000 interval. I run Valvoline Synpower

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So you've been using less oil since switching to conventional? Guess there's less escaping past the rings. You've said in the past that you noticed more consumption after running high RPMs for extended periods, correct? I've been checking my oil regularly in my '12 since I saw you post the consumption thread. Knock on wood, it's been on the full line at every 5,000 interval. I run Valvoline Synpower

Yeah, you remember correctly. If I just drove around town, the consumption was negligible. If I do a long hard drive and go wheeling like I normally do (talking about 1,000 miles round trip or so at 3k RPM average), I would easily go through a quart of dino - 2 with synth.

MTG

Caught the Bug

Interesting. Knowing the people who have been burning oil, I've thought of two things that were consistent (I think): 1) synthetic oil and 2) CAI.

Nothing scientific of course, just my observation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. Knowing the people who have been burning oil, I've thought of two things that were consistent (I think): 1) synthetic oil and 2) CAI.

This is an accurate observation and one I have noticed as well.

mgmavant

I used to run synthetic in my 08 buy always seemed to burn way more oil than what I thought it should. I tried a bunch of different brands and different weights (5-w20 was the worst) but they were all pretty much the same. I was running low one day and wanted to top off the oil, but the only thing available was semi-synthetic so I ended up using that. It seemed to last a bit longer, so the next oil change I switched to semi-synthetic (10-w30) and that worked pretty well. A few oil changes later I went with a 10-w40 and that seemed to work the best (least amount of oil consumption and engine pinging). I've been running the 10-w40 for about 10k miles with good results - still burns some oil and still pings on hot days, but nothing like it did before.

I have run synthetic in my Nissan Pathfinder since mile one (currently at 152k) with no engine issues, and I ran synthetic on my old Audi A4 for 180k with no problems. As a counter point, I ran my 1982 Toyota Corolla until I drove it to the junk yard with 285k miles on the odometer with the engine still running, but it burned a quart of oil every 200 miles for the last 10k of its life ( although I'm pretty sure my brother ran the engine for some time with little to no oil in it - Hey Bro, is it bad when the oil light flashes at you? Been doing that for a couple of days :eek: ).

It seems that synthetic truly is a better oil for a lot of reasons, but my Jeep likes the cheaper stuff better. I wonder if it really matters so long as you always maintain your levels and do regular oil changes with new filters each time - I wonder how many engines these days fail because of the use of dino oil over synthetic?

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

What ever you decide, if you have a warranty, you better use what's approved by Chrysler or they can void it. They will ask for documentation on your oil changes.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

I have been considering a CAI, only because I think the sound is awesome IMO, but have decided against it because I noticed the throttle body in my old Z71 was always black with an oily residue. Also I too have heard of some oil consumption issues related with CAI.

mgmavant

What ever you decide, if you have a warranty, you better use what's approved by Chrysler or they can void it. They will ask for documentation on your oil changes.

Yup - I was a bit worried about that when I brought mine in for the five-year warranty check so I switched back to 5w-20 synthetic. I had just finished the oil change less than a week before taking it in and they claimed that I was short a quart of oil when I brought it in. They said they had to top it off in order to pass the inspection (bs) so they added a quart of dino 5w-30 (or it was 10w-30 forgot which one). I asked them about mixing the synthetic with dino and they said it didn't matter. Well, the Jeep burned through that pretty quick so after about a thousand miles switched back to 10w-40.

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

My service writer told me that the 3.8 needed thin oil because of the small holes it circulates through.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Thanks so much everyone for chiming in with your experiences. Moochie, I purchased used several years back so no warranty to void, lol. Like mgmavant posted, I too wonder how much it matters since I'm really good about keeping up with oil changes. I think I'm just gonna fall back on my "if it ain't broke..." policy and continue using dino. I just want to stretch the life out of this motor as much as I can. I've got like 3 payments left and want to be free & clear for some time. Someday, if I'm lucky enough I'll go the Moby route with a sweet LS.

Ceithre

I got an 08 no CAI I bought it with 65k miles on it and have 73k on it now so i put a total of 8k miles with 3 oil changes so far with full synthetic Schaeffer's supreme 9000 5-20w oil. I can report a non noticeable amount of oil burning. hopefully a CAI isn't the issue as i plan on adding a Volant CAI most likely the dry filter one.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I run full syn. I consume I bout 1 qt per 7k. (07) syn is designed to hold it's integrity longer than Dino.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah, you remember correctly. If I just drove around town, the consumption was negligible. If I do a long hard drive and go wheeling like I normally do (talking about 1,000 miles round trip or so at 3k RPM average), I would easily go through a quart of dino - 2 with synth.

Dude thats a lot of oil....like race car a lot....2 quarts in 1K miles? Something seems really wrong. Curious if this is happening when you really lean the Jeep on the side (two wheels) a lot. Might try and install an oil catch can to see if you are getting a lot of blow by.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dude thats a lot of oil....like race car a lot....2 quarts in 1K miles? Something seems really wrong. Curious if this is happening when you really lean the Jeep on the side (two wheels) a lot. Might try and install an oil catch can to see if you are getting a lot of blow by.

Yeah, it's a lot. I think I might have a milder version of what ttfhell had and that's damaged rings due to dust working its way in from my CAI. Of course, I only have one so that I can run a PSC reservoir. :rolleyes2:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah, it's a lot. I think I might have a milder version of what ttfhell had and that's damaged rings due to dust working its way in from my CAI. Of course, I only have one so that I can run a PSC reservoir. :rolleyes2:

I know you wheel really hard, and often lean the crap out of the jeep. I also find it interesting that when driving normally (on road) you say you have negligible consumption but when you wheel, you have severe consumption. I don't wheel anywhere near as hard as you do, but I ran Mobil1 on my 2012, and it didn't eat a single drop, even on my 2 cross country trips to Moab and Colorado, not to mention, made the motor run MUCH quieter.

The CAI thing is interesting though....I guess one would need to isolate the CAI to really see if that's the culprit (a CAI with dino and a synthetic with the OEM intake)....That would really suck if something as stupid as an air filter chewed your rings up. :(

Top Bottom