Some knowledge needed

Evilidea

OK so a brief history, my 1st wheeler was a 97 ZJ with a V8, 2nd was an 89 YJ Inline 6, Current is 2012 JKUR with the 3.6l. While out testing the mountain roads this weekend in the JK I hit some very deep snow and the rpms just kept dropping no matter how much I was on the skinny peddle. I was in 4lo locked front and rear and rpms just went to nil and I was stuck good. In my old ZJ if this same scenario was happening and I stomped skinny peddle rpms would be fine and wheels would still spin, (likely still bury it in snow but never lose all my power like the JK did). The YJ being a stick would not of died out like this either. Am I just not used to how this all works or is there something wrong? I mean to me it seemed like engine just wasn't getting gas, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. After breaking through the upper crust and being stuck in 3'+ of snow I was able to get tires spinning and eventually got back out but I just don't understand why I lost all my momentum and no matter how much gas was given I just kept losing power and slowing down until I broke through and buried it. Also once in awhile if I'm climbing steep inclines and floor it it seems to have a hesitation. Not sure how to explain it other than compared to my previos Jeeps this one seems to have no power band (if you will). Any advice or confirmation that this is just how it works would be great.

Personally I think something may be goofy with how the tranny handles shifting but no evidence of this on pavement or even packed dirt roads only steep climbs and snow/mud do I get bogged down I guess.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to verify, did you manually shift your transmission into a lower gear? As in, you used the slap shift to put it in first?

Evilidea

Just to verify, did you manually shift your transmission into a lower gear? As in, you used the slap shift to put it in first?

No sir I was just in Drive, didn't think about that! Doh!

Never needed to downshift the ZJ Auto but was constantly shifting the stick. Guess I am just a bad driver because that didn't even cross my mind. Is it normal for the engine to give out like this when under these circumstances? Damn now I want to go back up and get into that same spot in 1st or 2nd and see what happens.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: It's all good and if you get a chance, I would give it another try. I think you'll find dropping it down a couple of gears manually will make a big difference. :D

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Traction control? Not sure if it shuts off automatically when in 4 lo, but I know I have experienced the same thing in 4 hi when going around corners. The tires start to slip, traction control kicks on and it feels like I loose all engine power until I regain traction or shut it off. Just some randon thoughts. :idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Traction control? Not sure if it shuts off automatically when in 4 lo, but I know I have experienced the same thing in 4 hi when going around corners. The tires start to slip, traction control kicks on and it feels like I loose all engine power until I regain traction or shut it off. Just some randon thoughts. :idontknow:

It doesn't do that in 4 low. Traction control is off.

Evilidea

Traction control was off. It appears I just need to use the slap shift more. Was never an issue with the V8 ZJ but it seems I need to drive this beast a little differently. On a side note had a rescue crew of 3 Big ASS Wyoming trucks and they couldnt even get within 2 miles of me so after exhausting all my friend options I had to call the local mechanic (Jeep enthusiast) and he came up in a 2dr Rubi and was just able to get close enough to get his winch to me and 1 tug and I was out. He charges 250 a pull :eek: but gave me a tug for 150. think I need to to go out tuggin people more often, would pay for my EVO 4" Long Arm in a few months lol. Turns out after I called the money man a friend was loading up his track hoe to come get me. Should have waited a little longer for him but cell service was spotty at best so I took what I could get while I had a bar. Oh well now I know to slap it into lower gear when trying to be the first to break the trails open for spring. (or maybe stop goin out solo ;) ) Glad to hear it doesn't sound like a Jeep issue so much as a PBSWAS (Problem Between Steering Wheel and Seat).

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Traction control was off. It appears I just need to use the slap shift more. Was never an issue with the V8 ZJ but it seems I need to drive this beast a little differently. On a side note had a rescue crew of 3 Big ASS Wyoming trucks and they couldnt even get within 2 miles of me so after exhausting all my friend options I had to call the local mechanic (Jeep enthusiast) and he came up in a 2dr Rubi and was just able to get close enough to get his winch to me and 1 tug and I was out. He charges 250 a pull :eek: but gave me a tug for 150. think I need to to go out tuggin people more often, would pay for my EVO 4" Long Arm in a few months lol. Turns out after I called the money man a friend was loading up his track hoe to come get me. Should have waited a little longer for him but cell service was spotty at best so I took what I could get while I had a bar. Oh well now I know to slap it into lower gear when trying to be the first to break the trails open for spring. (or maybe stop goin out solo ;) ) Glad to hear it doesn't sound like a Jeep issue so much as a PBSWAS (Problem Between Steering Wheel and Seat).

Wow! 250 a pull? Thats alot! He gets to go wheeling, give someone a pull and gets paid? I think hes on to something there!

Evilidea

Wow! 250 a pull? Thats alot! He gets to go wheeling, give someone a pull and gets paid? I think hes on to something there!

That's what I'm saying. I have gone out at least a dozen times to rescue people this winter, some at like 3am after they would leave bar (idiots). Many of these pulls were friends of a friend etc, I should have charged lol (couldn't do that it just doesn't fit my WayaLife). Gotta say after watching everyone getting stuck and not even getting within 2 miles of where I got I am a bit more impressed with this JK than I already was.

L'Acajun

Our jeep club has a post if your stuck section. Never heard of anyone being charged for a pull here. Guess it's just out east coast wayalife. Lol

Evilidea

Yea most the wheelers around here will do what it takes to help another but this guy runs a shop and wreaker business even though he came in his Jeep cause wreaker wasn't gonna make it to me so I can see that he charges cause it is his business but 250 a pull and acting like I got a great deal at 150 just seems greedy to me, but I had kids needing picked up and all that so I di what I had to do, should have waited for my other friends who had a track hoe but didn't know they were rallying as phone signal was not so great. Oh well, It's all just another adventure right.

Top Bottom