Rock Krawler Long Arm 3 link

T&ERun

LOSER
Who's running it and how do you like it? Any issues at all? I'm mainly talking about the three link setup as there's many options as far as coils, coil overs, etc. Do you like the 3 link on the street? Thanks

noroad

I can not say anything about the 3 link set up other then from what i have seen happen! I have seen it break and when it breaks it is really hard to fix on the trail and it pretty much makes for a long day! Other then that hopefully some guys will jump in and talk about the ride for you!

Jeeper Jr.

I can not say anything about the 3 link set up other then from what i have seen happen! I have seen it break and when it breaks it is really hard to fix on the trail and it pretty much makes for a long day! Other then that hopefully some guys will jump in and talk about the ride for you!

Eddie has said something similar about 3 links. Once you lose a link, you're done. A 4 link can atleast keep you moving with a loss of a link.
If you look at the newest JKX vid from Eddie, the Jeep that broke down on the Rubicon was a 3 link rear (I am pretty sure it was) and it took a lot to get it out.
I cannot testify as to how good three links are when they are working.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The "idea" of a 3-link is a good one and I would be the first to say as much. In fact, I have even run one my old TJ way back in the day. As stated, the problem is that everything can and will break and because of it, there is something to be said about redundancy. On a 4-link setup, if you break a link (and I have and on more than one occasion), you can keep on going. If you break a 3-link, you are up a creek and without a paddle. How do I know? It's happened to me personally on my TJ and I just helped recover a JK that broke one on the JKX. Fact of the matter is, the amount of flex you have will still be dictated by your shock travel and, if you have a good 4-link setup, you will have just as much flex as a 3-link if not more so especially if you're running something like an EVO coil over kit.

Needless to say, I personally would not recommend it.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
^^^^ this. My buddy has broken a rear LCA twice. Once on JKX and once on a run to Superstition Mountain OHV. Both time he was able to DRIVE his Jeep off the trail (heck he drove it from NorCal to SoCal) with three rear control arms. :yup:

jk12blk

The "idea" of a 3-link is a good one and I would be the first to say as much. In fact, I have even run one my old TJ way back in the day. As stated, the problem is that everything can and will break and because of it, there is something to be said about redundancy. On a 4-link setup, if you break a link (and I have and on more than one occasion), you can keep on going. If you break a 3-link, you are up a creek and without a paddle. How do I know? It's happened to me personally on my TJ and I just helped recover a JK that broke one on the JKX. Fact of the matter is, the amount of flex you have will still be dictated by your shock travel and, if you have a good 4-link setup, you will have just as much flex as a 3-link if not more so especially if you're running something like an EVO coil over kit.

Needless to say, I personally would not recommend it.

Guys - so where does the break generally occur? Is it generally a poor truss over the rear pumpkin? I saw the jkx video. Frankly that truss seemed very thin and not robust enough to withstand that type of off-roading abuse over an extended period of time. I'm no expert but assume there must be better trusses (sp?) out there? Thx! I'm curious because my jeep is in the shop now getting a 3 link. I truss (get it - haha!) my fab guy will build a beefy system. Just curious where the breaks generally occur. Not too late to switch things up.

Gracias

Sent from mobile

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Guys - so where does the break generally occur? Is it generally a poor truss over the rear pumpkin? I saw the jkx video. Frankly that truss seemed very thin and not robust enough to withstand that type of off-roading abuse over an extended period of time. I'm no expert but assume there must be better trusses (sp?) out there? Thx! I'm curious because my jeep is in the shop now getting a 3 link. I truss (get it - haha!) my fab guy will build a beefy system. Just curious where the breaks generally occur. Not too late to switch things up.

Gracias

Sent from mobile

Breaks can occur at the truss but more times than not, they occur at the mount, joint or even arm itself. What you saw break on the video wasn't even worthy of being called a truss but even if it were a real truss, that isn't where I'd expect to see a break. Regardless, you seem determined to believe you'll be fine and really, you probably will be. Me, I have just seen enough control arm and mounts break that I've learned to appreciate redundancy. Of course, I don't know what I would even gain with a 3-link setup being that I already get more flex than one could offer with my EVO coil overs and 4-links.

CRAZYCASEY

Like Eddie said that was not a truss on the JKX video and I'm not sure who thought that would last one day on the trail. I run 3 link and I love it. I have seen breaks as well but they were control arm bolts and mounts that broke. We have welded up control arm mounts on the trail and it's no fun. If your going to go three link you need to take good care of your rig, checking it over after every run. I even have some spray I use to check my welds for cracks. I'm sure one day I will still have a problem but I do my best to prevent it.

Oh and the 3 link is no where near as friendly on the highway as a 4 link but I personally like it better on the trail

Last edited:

jk12blk

Like Eddie said that was not a truss on the JKX video and I'm not sure who thought that would last one day on the trail. I run 3 link and I love it. I have seen breaks as well but they were control arm bolts and mounts that broke. We have welded up control arm mounts on the trail and it's no fun. If your going to go three link you need to take good care of your rig, checking it over after every run. I even have some spray I use to check my welds for cracks. I'm sure one day I will still have a problem but I do my best to prevent it.

Oh and the 3 link is no where near as friendly on the highway as a 4 link but I personally like it better on the trail

Cool. I guess I'll see how it goes. I mainly use my jeep offroad and drive a Buick (lol) for daily. Will try 3 link and let er rip. Custom deal with 2" DOM links, JJ ends, cantilever rear and a anti rock rear sway bar - coil overs too. If it fails then back to drawing board. Looking forward to testing on the rubicon Eddie trip if I ever get my jeep back! Lol.

-sent from my mobile

Top Bottom