Need help with vac pump relocation

KernHydro

do I need to cut the factory evap bracket off when installing a evo 1/4 pounder ?

Last edited:

KernHydro

Thank you... I went to put the evo 1/4 bumper on and to my surprise I have to cut the lower bar off. Not happy about it probable getting a different bumper it seems silly to me to chop up a brand new jeep for bumper that leaves the sway bay disconnect in harms way. This is disappointing...

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

Thanks also I went to put the bumper on and to my surprise I have to cut the lower bar off. Is there a wight up on this too?

no writeup that I know of, but you can just notch it if you dont want to cut it off completely. Otherwise I just hacked mine off.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sorry. You were talking about that bottom bar. :doh: Yep, just cut it off. I felt the same way at first. But what you bolt in is much stronger than what you cut off. The sway bar motor gets rotated out of the way. Doubt you'll ever hit it.

KernHydro

What is it there for? The only thing I can think of is the wind cover that attached to it. Not sure... but it's ridged and what add alittle protection to the swaybar disconnect. When I was shopping bumpers I noticed alot of company's leave it there.

KernHydro

MTG said:
Sorry. You were talking about that bottom bar, not the vacuum pump :doh: Yep, just cut it off. I felt the same way at first. But what you bolt in is much stronger than what you cut off. The sway bar motor gets rotated out of the way. Doubt you'll ever hit it.

No I was asking about the vac bracket because the instructions said some bumper need it removed...then I went to mock up the bumper and noticed it wasn't going to go without cutting it off. I would agree the bumper is going to add the same or more ridgedity. Its the protection of that handy elec discon . but If the motor rotates out of the way then I'll cut that fker off.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

What is it there for? The only thing I can think of is the wind cover that attached to it. Not sure... but it's ridged and what add alittle protection to the swaybar disconnect. When I was shopping bumpers I noticed alot of company's leave it there.

Those two functions is why its there. Mounting point and armor

Edti: Oh and it adds a little more strength to the frame by acting as a crossmember

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
KernHydro said:
No I was asking about the vac bracket because the instructions said some bumper need it removed...then I went to mock up the bumper and noticed it wasn't going to go without cutting it off. I would agree the bumper is going to add the same or more ridgedity. Its the protection of that handy elec discon . but If the motor rotates out of the way then I'll cut that fker off.

Think it's the last step in the instructions. Haven't done mine yet and still haven't hit it. :)

Honestly this bumper is as good as it gets. You won't regret it.

KernHydro

It's the best looking Stinger style for sure. I just painted it, it looks great. I just don't like to mess with brackets or frame.

Last edited:

Serg5000

Thank you... I went to put the evo 1/4 bumper on and to my surprise I have to cut the lower bar off. Not happy about it probable getting a different bumper it seems silly to me to chop up a brand new jeep for bumper that leaves the sway bay disconnect in harms way. This is disappointing...
This is more common than you think. i just helped my son install his Poison Spider front bumper and we cut that same bar off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! it's funny because no other jeep has ever had it and most in the industry thought it was silly to have included it. give it a good look and you will see that your sway bar motor sits BEHIND it and even below it and this bar offers NO real protection for it. give it one minor hit and it will taco - trust me, i have seen it.

Those two functions is why its there. Mounting point and armor

Edti: Oh and it adds a little more strength to the frame by acting as a crossmember

not exactly. this is NO cross member and there was no armor on a factory jk attached to it, only a plastic air dam. in fact, on the 07-09 JK's, the tabs holding it in place were super flimsy and just barely welded in place. it wasn't until 10 that the connections were beefed up with more welds.

much like a full width bumper made of plastic and one that offers no real protection, the only purpose of this bar was to satisfy mandated requirements. it offers no more strength and little to no protection to the sway bar disconnect motor.

KernHydro

I was frustrated last night wanted to get it done and didn't want to compromise anything . The motor does set about a 1/2" below that bar and with it off it will sit 2 1/2" or so below the bumper. My thought is it would help with straight on hits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was frustrated last night wanted to get it done and didn't want to compromise anything . The motor does set about a 1/2" below that bar and with it off it will sit 2 1/2" or so below the bumper. My thought is it would help with straight on hits.

don't get me wrong but, if you're really hitting that bar straight on, you need to pick better lines or get a spotter watching you. rather than keep the bar, which won't do squat to help you, you should clock it (rotate it up) and get it out of the way. doing this will give you a lot more clearance up front and you shouldn't be hitting anything at all. i have run a lot of aftermarket bumpers, most with a skid that kept the bar and now, i run evo bumpers on both my JK's and with clocked sway bar disco motors - no problems what so ever and much better clearnace.

KernHydro

Not sure what your saying What is be rotated? I'll look at the mount and see if can make out what you mean..

Last edited:

KernHydro

Thank you! I see what your talking about thats cool. It will pick motor up nicely.. Should I cut the welds off the frame for that bar or the cut on the bracket enough to clear the bumper?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you! I see what your talking about thats cool. It will pick motor up nicely.. Should I cut the welds off the frame for that bar or the cut on the bracket enough to clear the bumper?

i would just cut off what you need. the bumper will hide the rest nicely. this really is the best way to go as it give you maximum clearance.

KernHydro

Is there anything needed to keep the motor up besides rotating the mount? Have you had it pop back down after use?

Top Bottom