Gas Tank skid

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So i had a decent size dent in my skid a that i got a long time ago and never thought twice about it. well last trip i wasnt paying attention in one spot, thinking i was ok, and smashed my tank skid a little more. This just created a bigger dent.

My questions are should i look into a new skid or just hammer it out? im currently leaning toward the hammering it out just to save money.

Also if i do decide to get an aftermarket one is there a resonably priced one someone could suggest. if it isnt compatable with the pro tech crossmember skid for any reason please dont suggest it. i will be upgrading to the protech cross member and tranny skid at somepoint this summer.

last but not least is there a way to get the gas tank straight/flat again? can i used a plunger or the like to pop it back out?

thanks!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I prefer to call it "clearanced" and not "dented" and I've been running Moby like that for well over 7 years now. Really, it's fine as is and doesn't even need to be hammered out. :D

In other words, don't waste your money on an aftermarket replacement.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Personally, I prefer to call it "clearanced" and not "dented" and I've been running Moby like that for well over 7 years now. Really, it's fine as is and doesn't even need to be hammered out. :D

i love clearance!! :yup: haha as usual thanks Eddie! i will just clean the rust up and respray it

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If for some reason a person had to or was going to is EVO ever going to make one? Cause I'm sure theirs would be the best on the market and would go with all the other EVO stuff I already have or plan on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If for some reason a person had to or was going to is EVO ever going to make one? Cause I'm sure theirs would be the best on the market and would go with all the other EVO stuff I already have or plan on.

I'm sure if they were going to they would have already made it. But I could be wrong. I don't see the point in an aftermarket gas tank skid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
why paint it just leave it and the rust will get rubbed off by another rock lol :beer:

He's back east and without the paint, the rust will dissolve it into nothing before he got another chance to rub it off. :crazyeyes:

EVO won't make one because they agree that one simply isn't necessary. They still run a factory skid plate on Evolander and did so on EVO 1 too before it became a race rig.

mcgee149

He's back east and without the paint, the rust will dissolve it into nothing before he got another chance to rub it off. :crazyeyes:

EVO won't make one because they agree that one simply isn't necessary. They still run a factory skid plate on Evolander and did so on EVO 1 too before it became a race rig.

I didnt really think about that........ maybe you should paint it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Fair enough. Just thought I would ask. I have a mild case of OCD and since I just ordered their proteck skid plates I would rather have a matching gas tank skid over another brand. Not that I need it now or would ever need it for that matter. I'm still crappy stock/mall crawler status but will be changing shortly. Just waiting on Brown Santa to drop a bunch of parts and me actually having the time to install.

Another reason to love EVO and Offroad Evolution and Mel, they make and use products that are needed. Not just products to sell. Even though selling products is their business. They also use their products. Other companies do too but nothing like what Mel does.

I hope someday to be lucky enough to go on a JK experience and see better built rigs than mine in action.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea as Eddie mentioned I'm out east in PA so I need to paint it otherwise by the time I'm done with my build I will have evo1 cause I would have had to replace everything lol that's not a bad thing but just more money than I have.

As far as the skid it's self goes I was 95% sure I was going to leave it and possibly hammer it out before I asked, but I just wanted to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone

HILLZ

Yea as Eddie mentioned I'm out east in PA so I need to paint it otherwise by the time I'm done with my build I will have evo1 cause I would have had to replace everything lol that's not a bad thing but just more money than I have.

As far as the skid it's self goes I was 95% sure I was going to leave it and possibly hammer it out before I asked, but I just wanted to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone

don't paint it to well Coz, remember Chicks dig scars! :rock::rock:

dahreno

Banned
I don't know, I have caved my gas tank skid to the point where it is pushing on my tank. I can't believe others haven't done this, especially Eddie. I bolted a heavy duty skid right over the original one and it does a much better job then the original one which I think is what, 1/8" ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I have caved my gas tank skid to the point where it is pushing on my tank. I can't believe others haven't done this, especially Eddie.

Like I said, it's been "clearance" as in, it's seriously caved in and it's been like that for years. In spite of it, the factory skid plate has done an excellent job of protecting my gas tank and it continues to do so even to this very day. Best part is, this awesome skid plate came with my Jeep at no extra charge. :yup:

I bolted a heavy duty skid right over the original one and it does a much better job then the original one which I think is what, 1/8" ?

I guess I missed the part where your factory skid plate failed and caused your gas take to rupture, crack, leak or otherwise. :idontknow:

dahreno

Banned
Don't get me wrong, it didn't break and the tank didn't rupture. As a matter of fact I'm surprised as to how well it did. It's just that my tank is being pushed in to the point where I may be losing a little volume. When I said the new one is doing a better job, I meant that it can take more of a hit and not cave in as much.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, it didn't break and the tank didn't rupture. As a matter of fact I'm surprised as to how well it did. It's just that my tank is being pushed in to the point where I may be losing a little volume. When I said the new one is doing a better job, I meant that it can take more of a hit and not cave in as much.

The funny thing is, now that mine is clearanced as much as it is, I don't even hit it as much. As far as volume goes, you gotta know that up front, the tank is actually stepped up a bit and so nothing will be lost there. Down the middle, sure, it'll get pushed up a bit but in spite of what you choose to believe, you can't just make volume disappear like that. Being that the sending unit is in the very back and most protected, the odds of it getting dented in is greatly reduced and even if it were to get dented, the most that would happen is your sending unit may send a reading that is not as accurate as it was before. Having said all that, if there has been a change in the volume of my tank or even a change in it's reading, I haven't seen it or, at least, it hasn't been enough to really matter.

BTW, here's a shot I just took of Moby's factory gastank skid plate - this after 7+ years of abuse...

IMG_7756[1].jpg

As you can see, it's taken a lickin but it keeps on tickin :yup:

dahreno

Banned
I must say that mine is not quite as bad as yours! Close though after six + years of abuse. I was afraid that at some point the plastic tank may rupture somewhere. I figured a little extra protection can't hurt. We are old farts and wheel alone a lot so, don't want an issue .

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I must say that mine is not quite as bad as yours! Close though after six + years of abuse. I was afraid that at some point the plastic tank may rupture somewhere. I figured a little extra protection can't hurt. We are old farts and wheel alone a lot so, don't want an issue .

I take it you've never taken your gas tank out of the skid? I have during my long arm install a few years back and then again during my LS swap just recently and can tell you that it looked just fine. The little extra protection you've chosen to buy just hurts the overall sprung weight of your Jeep and your wallet but otherwise no, it won't hurt much else. Cindy and I aren't as young as you think and of the 120,000 miles on our white JK, I'd say more than half of those have been put on wheeling alone and out in the middle of nowhere. If I didn't trust my gas tank skid plate to hold up, I would have replaced or added protection to it a long time ago just like I have with my oil pan and transmission on my 2012 JK. Fact of the matter is, since 2006, I have yet to see or even hear of a single instance where a factory gas tank skid plate has failed.

dahreno

Banned
No, I have never had the tank out. I met you at Fuddruckers and I don't think you are as close to sixty as I am. If so, you look great! Oh sorry, you look great anyway! LOL. I do not get the kind of exposure to wheeling with groups like you do and I am sure you have wheeled many more times as I so, when I saw my skid caved in, I did not have a wealth of knowledge in that area to know for sure I would not have a problem. So I spent some coin on some extra protection. Money is only money, I work and can get more. As far as extra weight is concerned, I don't care. If I were to go through all the tools I carry when I wheel and eliminate the ones I really don't need, I could probably take that weight away! I guess i'm a little anal that way, Never know what's going to happen and don't like to be a burden. BTW, I will be getting my old wagon out of the shop tomorrow after a year of rehab to a one ton drivetrain. I am pretty excited about it and almost forgot about driving it. I have been approached by a writer for a 4x4 mag. about doing an article on it but, if you don't mind, I would like to post a couple pics. of the finished product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom