Leaking near Pitman arm

TheDuff

Noticed some thing had leaked on to my tie rod and diff cover. Pitman arm is covered as well. Steering box? 1397694664678.jpg 1397694684441.jpg maybe just some coolant from the over flow? Looks like it happened on the trail, since its all covered in dirt.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

I wouldn't be too worried, same thing happened to me and it hasn't affected me yet.

You got just some leakage from the same spot?
It doesn't smell like atf or any kind of ps fluid I've come into contact with. It doesn't seem to smell like anything actually. Are there any bearings in there that use castor bean oil or something?

You got just some leakage from the same spot?
It doesn't smell like atf or any kind of ps fluid I've come into contact with. It doesn't seem to smell like anything actually. Are there any bearings in there that use castor bean oil or something?

I'm not sure, it's happened twice to me that I've noticed. Both times off-roading and it didn't have a smell. Rather clear in color and oily. Last time i noticed, I was in Mojave for the kick off run and that was back in January I believe. No Ill side effects as of yet

904Jeep

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Steering box was replaced under warranty by the dealer. Mine would require the fluid topped off about every 2 weeks. In one instance my reservoir ran dry over night and I was left without power steering. Power steering felt stronger and smoother after the new box was put in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda looks like a seal leak to me. If you're Jeep is still under warranty, I might have your dealership give it a look.

txjeeplover

I think that is far too localized to be coolant from the overflow bottle. The second image clearly shows oil seeping from the sector shaft. If oil is leaking from that seal, you could have a bad/worn lower bearing allowing the sector shaft to wobble. Personally, I don't like letting things like that go for too long. Typically, they only get worse, not better.

If you have the Delphi box, I would send it off to be rebuilt. If it's one of the newer boxes, and under warranty then let your dealer swap it out.

TheDuff

This is a 2009. I do however have a 100k warranty that I bought and have yet exercise. I'll take it in soon and pray they don't weasel their way out and flag my jeep.

StephenJKRubicon

I had the same thing happen to mine this weekend, what happened was the power steering box got hot moving my 37s through rocks at 9lbs of air. The seal by the pitman arm got hot and allowed fluid to seep out.

Sent Via Galaxy S5 JKURubicon

TheDuff

I'll give an update on mine: still haven't fixed it... why? Because I found I have a Delphi box. with hydro assist being a logical step in my upgrade path, I've decided against having the dealer warranty the box and being stuck with the Chinese unit. So far, with normal street driving I've not experienced any further leaking at the Pitman arm. But, I do have quite a bit more steering slop and more of the annoying clunk than I had before. So I'm pretty sure this has been progressing to this for a long time. Hoping to have the funds for a box rebuild and hydro assist in a few months and just cross my fingers that I have no further leaking till then.

904Jeep

I had the same thing happen to mine this weekend, what happened was the power steering box got hot moving my 37s through rocks at 9lbs of air. The seal by the pitman arm got hot and allowed fluid to seep out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a hot seal expand and seal better?

Rccrwlr

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a hot seal expand and seal better?

one would assume that the seal would expand but wouldn't the entire unit expand as well? being different metal/thickness they would expand at different rates and could cause a leak if the seal is going. My 0.02

Top Bottom