HELP!! Engine Problems

swiss_jeep

Hi guys

I've a BIG problem with my JK. Every time I open the hood, I have a huge oil spill on the underside of the hood (the hood-insulation) and on the surrounding tubes of the engine. I also have to refill about 1L (33,81 fl oz) oil every 3 weeks.

Could it be the head gasket? What you guys think? Please Help!!

Best regards

Samuel

noroad

I would start by looking at the oil filter seal! make sure there is not a leak there, did you replace that on your last oil change/make sure there is not 2 on!

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 look at the oil filter seal or the oil filler cap - make sure they are both on properly

in my experience, if it's a head gasket you would be blowing a nice puffy bluish/white smoke from the tailpipe since the head gasket keep the oil and/or coolant out of the cylinders and you wouldn't be driving it after...

i'd have the hood open and someone to rev it up while I watched to see if I could find the source of the oil spew

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe his is a 3.8 (oil filter is not on top like the 3.6).

You are correct, it looks like he has a 2009 and that would mean he has a 3.8L. The filter will be on the bottom.

To the OP, assuming your fill cap and dip stick are properly seated, clean your engine compartment thoroughly and then try driving a little - just enough to see if you can identify the location of where the oil is coming from.

swiss_jeep

You are correct, it looks like he has a 2009 and that would mean he has a 3.8L. The filter will be on the bottom.

#1 Thank you all for the quick answers! I will ask my "garage of trust" if he changed the oil filter at the last vehicle-check.
#2 Yes it's a 2009 but not a 3.8L it's a 2.8L Diesel :D

I'm going to follow your advices (oil filter, the last change, etc.) and will get back as soon as I have further informations. And thank you again :thumb::thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
#1 Thank you all for the quick answers! I will ask my "garage of trust" if he changed the oil filter at the last vehicle-check.
#2 Yes it's a 2009 but not a 3.8L it's a 2.8L Diesel :D

I'm going to follow your advices (oil filter, the last change, etc.) and will get back as soon as I have further informations. And thank you again :thumb::thumb:

That's right, you have a CRD. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with them. Do try cleaning things up and go from there.

swiss_jeep

Alright..... I just checked my oil filter. 1. My oil filter is absolutely dry. 2. My garage told me they changed it 1200 miles ago.

My problem is, after my knowledge, a head gasket comes immediately. At least it was so by my XJ. There I checked the oil at a gas station (Everything was normal. Also the oil level), drove after about 10 miles and than abruptly the temperature rose extremely and white smoke went out of the hood. :mad: ==> I've to say it's a Diesel too

Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?? :idontknow:

Regards
Samuel

Top Bottom