Aftermarket Seats??

noroad

Ok guys so i drive a ton aready have 40000 miles on my 2012, my drivers seat has already ripped on the side from some metal in the seat. Got a new cover for free at 35000 miles, but they didnt fix the seat. so it is working on a new rip as we speak, and the new seat look good but i dont feel as tho they are the best. I was thinking about getting some new ones for those reasons, but i do drive for long hour trips and want something that is going to hold up to a beating as i am a big guy and still need to hop into my jeep! what do you guys have and can you post some pics as well. was thinking about Baja RS Reclining Seat!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior...c.aspx?t_c=9&t_s=418&t_pt=3921&t_pn=MCS506004

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was gonna say take a look at the mastercrafts Eddie runs. He says they are extremely comfy

Sent from my iPhone

This past weekend during Jeep Beach I had the opportunity to sit in a couple of Jeep on display that had the Mastercraft Baja RS seats in them. To me they did not have the cushion like the factory seats do and they sit about 2 inches lower than factory. The Cabrera seats have a really small seat pan so if you are a big guy you would not be comfortable in it. I know becasue at 6'3" and 250 I do not fit.

I called my local dealer and was able to find a local guy who will put leather in my Jeep for about $1300 that is for both front seats and the rear 60/40. That might be an option to look into. I did this in my truck and it made a huge difference. Just something to think about.

R/
Will

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Curious on this as well since my factory leather or whatever my seats are, are starting to rip already.

I was thinking mastercraft, but the non reclining ones. I don't feel I need that feature since I was more than happy when I used to have a race seat in my m3 and long drives were not a problem at all with the recaro I had.

noroad

Curious on this as well since my factory leather or whatever my seats are, are starting to rip already.

I was thinking mastercraft, but the non reclining ones. I don't feel I need that feature since I was more than happy when I used to have a race seat in my m3 and long drives were not a problem at all with the recaro I had.

Thats just like mine they seem very cheap. but i dont no if the non reclining ones would work with the back seat in! but i would love to see some peoples seats in some 2 doors!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I read somewhere that they will slide up just about the same as the flip up feature, I mean it's not easy to get in anyway. For the last trip with the girls jumping out and over the sides I don't see the back seat being useless when topless, but I could see it being a pain if the tops on. I was just going to do one seat for me but hate to not match.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I run Mastercraft Baja RS seats and love them for the way the hold me in place when wheeling, the fact that they have adjustable lumbar support and is already setup for a 5-point harness. I'm a small guy and think they are super comfortable BUT, can totally see how they could be really uncomfortable if you are a big guy. The sides of the seats have a metal bar that can make getting in and out difficult and there isn't a whole lot of cushion. Having said that, if you're a really tall guy, you might like the fact that they sit about 2" lower than factory seats.

If you don't need to have your seats recline, Mastercraft does sell seats that would be much better suited for your needs and they feel like you're sitting in a lazyboy. The one thing you should know is that 2012-up JK's have a dildo looking sensor that I believe is the accelerometer for the air bag system that will need to be addressed with aftermarket seats.

noroad

As mentioned, I run Mastercraft Baja RS seats and love them for the way the hold me in place when wheeling, the fact that they have adjustable lumbar support and is already setup for a 5-point harness. I'm a small guy and think they are super comfortable BUT, can totally see how they could be really uncomfortable if you are a big guy. The sides of the seats have a metal bar that can make getting in and out difficult and there isn't a whole lot of cushion. Having said that, if you're a really tall guy, you might like the fact that they sit about 2" lower than factory seats.

If you don't need to have your seats recline, Mastercraft does sell seats that would be much better suited for your needs and they feel like you're sitting in a lazyboy. The one thing you should know is that 2012-up JK's have a dildo looking sensor that I believe is the accelerometer for the air bag system that will need to be addressed with aftermarket seats.

Thanks for the info, here are some questions for you!

1 you say they are comfortable but dont have a lot of cushion, what makes them comfortable to you?
2 what are the non reclining seat you speak of lol, and do you think it would be able to slide enough to get a person in the back?
3 what do you mean air bags need to be addressed, is this something that has a fix or has yet to be done?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1 you say they are comfortable but dont have a lot of cushion, what makes them comfortable to you?

Just because you have a lot of cushion doesn't necessarily make a seat more comfortable. The factory seats in my old 2009 X had way more cushion than my factory 2007 Rubicon but it just felt squishy and was really uncomfortable on long drives. A good seat will fit your body better and offer springs/support where you need it to give you comfort. Of course, in the end, it's all subjective just like your bed - some like it soft and some like it firm.

2 what are the non reclining seat you speak of lol...

The 3G or Pro are super comfortable but the Rubicon or even original are really nice too. If you ever get a chance to attend an off road show where Mastercraft is on display, they always have seats that you can sit in for a test.

...and do you think it would be able to slide enough to get a person in the back?

No, not in a 2-door JK. Stupidest thing Chrysler ever did was to get rid of the fold and tumble passenger seat they had in the TJ. :naw:

3 what do you mean air bags need to be addressed, is this something that has a fix or has yet to be done?

Your airbags are controlled by an accelerometer attached to your seat. 2007-10 JK's have a different setup that isn't attached to the seat frame. piginajeep here on the forum can tell you all about it being that he has a 2012 with MC seats.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

Eddie how tall are you? I am kind of worried about being to low if I would make the switch now that I think about it.

lol at the dildo sensor.:cheesy:

This literally made me laugh out loud

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie how tall are you? I am kind of worried about being to low if I would make the switch now that I think about it.

I am 5'-7" and it doesn't really bother me. Cindy is 5'-4" and for daily driving, it's not too big of a deal for her even with our Rock Hard windshield spreader bar. However, when off roading, it is a bit tougher for her. Of course, we both think our 2012 with factory seats and a windshield spreader bar is more visibility limiting.

lol at the dildo sensor.:cheesy:

This literally made me laugh out loud

Well, have you guys ever looked at the thing :crazyeyes: :D

noroad

Just because you have a lot of cushion doesn't necessarily make a seat more comfortable. The factory seats in my old 2009 X had way more cushion than my factory 2007 Rubicon but it just felt squishy and was really uncomfortable on long drives. A good seat will fit your body better and offer springs/support where you need it to give you comfort. Of course, in the end, it's all subjective just like your bed - some like it soft and some like it firm.

The 3G or Pro are super comfortable but the Rubicon or even original are really nice too. If you ever get a chance to attend an off road show where Mastercraft is on display, they always have seats that you can sit in for a test.

No, not in a 2-door JK. Stupidest thing Chrysler ever did was to get rid of the fold and tumble passenger seat they had in the TJ. :naw:

Your airbags are controlled by an accelerometer attached to your seat. 2007-10 JK's have a different setup that isn't attached to the seat frame. piginajeep here on the forum can tell you all about it being that he has a 2012 with MC seats.

Thanks i get that part about more cushion, was just feeling out your input a little more. Also given that you say the fixed seats are more cumfortable, what would you think about getting one of each, so the driver side would be the rubicon seat and the other side a MasterCraft Baja RS. i have never seen them in person so i dont know if it can be pulled off with them all black. this would still give the back seat a option if ever needed! As for the air bags i will have to see what piginajeep says lol!

GCM 2

......The 3G or Pro are super comfortable but the Rubicon or even original are really nice too. If you ever get a chance to attend an off road show where Mastercraft is on display, they always have seats that you can sit in for a test.

You know I wanted to run the 3G's in my jeep, but Mel was saying that with the stock interior still intact (center console) this level of full blown race seat will not fit in a JK, plus it would take fabrication to mount them to a custom seat frame/track :icon_crazy: The 3G (and to a lesser extent the pro) are actually pretty huge when compared to the Baja RS, but man are those things comfortable! Literally sitting in a memory foam mattress in your jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know I wanted to run the 3G's in my jeep, but Mel was saying that with the stock interior still intact (center console) this level of full blown race seat will not fit in a JK, plus it would take fabrication to mount them to a custom seat frame/track :icon_crazy: The 3G (and to a lesser extent the pro) are actually pretty huge when compared to the Baja RS, but man are those things comfortable! Literally sitting in a memory foam mattress in your jeep.

Damn, didn't even think about that :doh: They sure are super comfy though :crazyeyes:

jeeeep

Hooked
I went to a local auto upholstery shop and for a little less than the baja seats they will refoam and make my seat wider to make it fit better and hopefully be more comfortable

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Will.......I don't know if you saw the Black JKU with the Strike Force Zebra half doors on vendors row (Jeep Beach).....he had 4 Corbeau Baja XRS seats in it with full RockHard sport cage with front and rear harness bars installed as well as full 5 point harness setups for each seat.......I talk with the owner and the guy who did the install and they said the install was pretty straight forward......the seats felt very comfortable and could recline all the way if not for the harness bars......he said they offer wider seats for the fat body people (no offense:D) so that option is available.......unfortunately my phone battery was spent and I wasn't able to get any pictures (pissed)..... However I did get his card and the installers card and they are local to the Daytona area (Holly Hill).........They looked and felt awesome.........it's either these or MasterCrafts seats for me

~Woodrow~

Last edited:
Top Bottom