Rear Diff cover broken

RamP

Noticed a quarter size puddle today under the rear diff. The lip seems pretty bent. It's dark out so I'll get a better idea about how bad in the morning.
Any recommendations for a good new cover? Is one better than the other?
Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't broken. Pull the cover and grind off the bent part of the lip. This will get it to sit higher than the housing edge and will prevent it from happening again and FREE of charge.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, if you're just looking for a reason to get a new cover, they'll all get the job done - just go with whatever you like best. Me, I like Dynatrac :)

RamP

Of course, if you're just looking for a reason to get a new cover, they'll all get the job done - just go with whatever you like best. Me, I like Dynatrac :)

Lol. It's amazing how a little bent metal will get me exited for an upgrade.

I'll pull it tomorrow and look into straightening it out. Thanks for the reply.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 81428 Here's a quick pic of what it looks like b

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Had you ground down the cover ahead of time, you would have been able to prevent that. I would try pounding it flat and then grind the edge and then reinstall. If nothing else, it'll get you by until you get a new cover in.

Serg5000

That happened to me on the first 1/4 mile of the Rubicon. I beat it flat while on the diff. It held but I stressed the rest of the trip. Wish I knew about the fix before the break.

Top Bottom