HERCULINER any one tryed it??

DJKU09

Hello all my Jeeper! Good evening! So im an OTR trucker and this past week when my wife came to pick me up and she had a surprise for me. One of her lovley maintenance people had some Herculiner they didnt want anymore. Its 4 new gallons still in the box and all! Im guessing they got it for there truck and jeep but got around to doing it and didnt want it anymore. So my wife said she'd take. Knowing I wanted to line up my jeep with something like that but as we all know something more important always comes up and projects have to get pushed back. So I got some questions for some of you that may or may not have tried it.

1.) How does the Herculiner hold up against heat? Especially there the transmission and transfer case are? I already got my carpet out and know how hot it gets there.

2.) Other then really prepping the tub what else can I use besides the green brillow pads to speed up the process? That grad sand paper you think would help or should I just stick to that?

3.) How long does it last?

4.) How does it do in the different weathers? Hot/cold.. ect

5.) Any suggestions on using it or anything else? Any tips help..

Like I said I had been planning on doing before and I have already tooken out the carpet and cleaned up the dirt and crap on the tub. Now im just scuffing it up now that I gor this stufd for free. Thanks guy and or gals.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LJ_olllllllo

Well I'd love to help but I to was wondering the same stuff but I was going to try the Raptor liner. Hope someone who has used this answers ya.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Hello all my Jeeper! Good evening! So im an OTR trucker and this past week when my wife came to pick me up and she had a surprise for me. One of her lovley maintenance people had some Herculiner they didnt want anymore. Its 4 new gallons still in the box and all! Im guessing they got it for there truck and jeep but got around to doing it and didnt want it anymore. So my wife said she'd take. Knowing I wanted to line up my jeep with something like that but as we all know something more important always comes up and projects have to get pushed back. So I got some questions for some of you that may or may not have tried it.

1.) How does the Herculiner hold up against heat? Especially there the transmission and transfer case are? I already got my carpet out and know how hot it gets there.

2.) Other then really prepping the tub what else can I use besides the green brillow pads to speed up the process? That grad sand paper you think would help or should I just stick to that?

3.) How long does it last?

4.) How does it do in the different weathers? Hot/cold.. ect

5.) Any suggestions on using it or anything else? Any tips help..

Like I said I had been planning on doing before and I have already tooken out the carpet and cleaned up the dirt and crap on the tub. Now im just scuffing it up now that I gor this stufd for free. Thanks guy and or gals.

I used the Hurculiner in my CJ7. Prep is very important. I initially just scuffed the paint up with sandpaper, cleaned it up and applied the liner. Within a few months it was coming up in some places. I ended up stripping in out (HUGE PITA!), prepping it right, and had no issues with it the second time around. It offered grip with the rubber crumb and was not too abrasive to the touch. It was abrasive enough that any cloth that would touch it left a little material behind. This included hauling luggage and bags/backpacks on a regular basis. It was next to impossible to keep decent looking. You can spray it out, but the 'new' look to it fades in the sun pretty quickly and once it faded, it always looked dirty no matter what I tried. Not sure if that matters to you, but it did to me. When I clean my Jeep I like for it to look clean, and I feel the liner looked crappy enough once dirty to detract from it. In the cold it did not harden or anything like that, pretty much stayed as it was. In the heat, however, it did become 'tacky' feeling. This was in the Southwest Texas heat and exposed directly to the sun, as I had the doors and top off the majority of the time. I had the opportunity to do this with my last 13' JK 2 door and passed on it. I opted to just take the carpet out and run aftermarket floor liners. I chose to do this because of the way it faded so quickly, the fact that it is hard to clean, and because of the fact that it would get tacky in the heat. For me personally, I would not opt to do it again in any of my Jeeps. I know its probably not what you wanted to hear, but that was my experience with it. Good luck!

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

In the second picture you can see some blue fuzzies on the liner. That is from a new tarp that was under some packs and gear. As you can see, it was abrasive enough to rub the tarp and leave material behind, which was impossible to clean as it would just stick when sprayed out.

Last edited:

DJKU09

No thats exactly what I wanted to hear! The honest truth. I had heard it does get " tacky " in the heat and although I live in Denver we might be moving back to El Paso and it get really hot there so the heat and all the sand would make it look crappy. I like it to look clean as well. But like I said it was free to me so not like its money lost on my end. Thank you for your input.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
No thats exactly what I wanted to hear! The honest truth. I had heard it does get " tacky " in the heat and although I live in Denver we might be moving back to El Paso and it get really hot there so the heat and all the sand would make it look crappy. I like it to look clean as well. But like I said it was free to me so not like its money lost on my end. Thank you for your input.

I actually worked on Ft Bliss and lived in Santa Teresa NM when I first applied the Hurculiner. It was the heat there that made it tacky. I had the Hurculine rthere for about 2 years, and around another 6 months here in SC. Lasted about 2-3 months in the El Paso sun before it was faded.

WJCO

Meme King
Thread Resurrection!

I've been meaning to clean out the Jeep for awhile and just wanted to show how Herculiner looks when it's really dirty and then when it's cleaned up. It isn't perfect, but good enough for me. After vacuuming, this was all done with just a large car wash brush and water, no soap, no other chemicals. I scrubbed it once with the water, used a towel to soak up the muddy water, then scrubbed it again a 2nd time and soaked up the water. That's it. This section took 5-10 minutes.

0210171038.jpg

0210171046a.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Back from the dead but probably the first time I've seen this thread :crazyeyes:

Personally, I really like the look and feel of Heculiner and almost went with it again on Jane. When prepped right and sprayed on, it looks fantastic, holds up extremely well and withstands heat and cold great. The only real bummer about it is that it'll go from a deep gloss black to a dull gray if you leave it out in the sun. Not that it's the end of the world but, it was a bit disappointing to see. Being that it does have rubber in it, spraying it down with something like 303 Protectant or even Armorall will help it to stay nice longer.

20170205152709-382ae26b-me.jpg

20170205152648-e96a28ce-me.jpg

20170210122755-2c14c262-me.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
LOL!! Back from the dead but probably the first time I've seen this thread :crazyeyes:

Personally, I really like the look and feel of Heculiner and almost went with it again on Jane. When prepped right and sprayed on, it looks fantastic, holds up extremely well and withstands heat and cold great. The only real bummer about it is that it'll go from a deep gloss black to a dull gray if you leave it out in the sun. Not that it's the end of the world but, it was a bit disappointing to see. Being that it does have rubber in it, spraying it down with something like 303 Protectant or even Armorall will help it to stay nice longer.

Wow, looks a lot better sprayed on on yours. :thumb: Mine above was brushed and rolled on. I've noticed some fading in a few spots, but for 130 bucks, I was willing to take the risk and can't complain. Been on ours for about 3 years now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few shots of what it looked like after being out in the sun for a couple of years.

DSC04824.jpg

DSC04832.jpg

As you can see, it faded quite a bit but again, if you apply some protectant, it looked better again.

sunnysideup

Monstaliner

I used a similar product... roll on from a can about 4.5 years ago. Holds up well. Most of the work is in prepping the tub. So far it is holding up fine... I have touched up a couple spots with spray in can bedliner when needed. I still use floor mats most of the time.
truck liner 006.jpg truck liner 007.jpg truck liner 001.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You would think by now they would have a UV additive. I remember years ago linex had a protectant you had to use.

Herculiner used to make and sell a UV protectant but for some reason, they don't anymore. I can only guess that it didn't work. This was a big part of why I decided to try Raptor Liner on Jane this time around but a part of me wishes that I had still gone with Herculiner.

Top Bottom