Would you still need is new drive shaft if?

Spartan

You did 37in KM2 with a 2in lift with lift and flat fenders. Would you still need a new driveshaft?

Would a setup like this be any good in Moab or on the Rubicon?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You did 37in KM2 with a 2in lift with lift and flat fenders. Would you still need a new driveshaft?

Would a setup like this be any good in Moab or on the Rubicon?

Depends on the year of your jeep, if you have an auto or manual and if you are running longer shocks.

Brankz

If you have the money for the 37s and re gear why not buy a DS you can find a good condition used one for fairly cheap.
But it's just me saying this :don't know:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of you have the money for the 37s and re gear why not buy a DS you can find a good condition used one for fairly cheap.
But it's just me saying this :don't know:

I'd have to agree. If you're gonna run 37's and regear, it'd make no sense to me to not plan on running new shafts.

Beyrgut

Since you didn't mention, i have to ask is it a Rubiocn with the D44 up front. If not the DS is the least of your worries.

Spartan

I'd have to agree. If you're gonna run 37's and regear, it'd make no sense to me to not plan on running new shafts.

Sorry for being confused, but what makes this different then do a 2.5in BB with shock extensions and 35's?
You can do a 2.5in BB with shock extensions and 35's and flat fenders without a new drive shaft or having to regear.

Is it just the weight of the tire, or is it weight and size?
I would think by going with a 2in instead of a 2.5 it would work the same only with more ground clearance.

Brankz

Sorry for being confused, but what makes this different then do a 2.5in BB with shock extensions and 35's?
You can do a 2.5in BB with shock extensions and 35's and flat fenders without a new drive shaft or having to regear.

I would think by going with a 2in instead of a 2.5 it would work the same only with more ground clearance.

I'm not a expert but 35s and 37s it's a big difference and I don't think running 37s with a bb and extensions is a good idea plus you still need a Ds, if not your DS will have a short painful life.
But again it's just me and I'm not a expert. I'm running 33 and I'm waiting to upgrade the gears and a new DS before getting 35s

JAGS

Hooked
It must be true if Brankz is willing to say it. :crazyeyes: In all fairness brankz is pretty much spot on and WOL has said the same.

Difference with budget boost and extensions vs new coils is that the coils change the geometry as they will no doubt not be exactly 2". Also, if you go with new shocks and 37s, your flex will be out of whack causing a more extreme angle at flex than what the stock DS can handle repeatedly. May not be instant, but seriously a new DS is only $600. Just do it right and dont leave yourself extra vulnerable on the trail.

And, why would you want 2" lift and 37s anyways? Not really seeing the logic there, but maybe you answered that Q already. :idontknow:

Angry Aussie

It must be true if Brankz is willing to say it. :crazyeyes: In all fairness brankz is pretty much spot on and WOL has said the same.

Just do it right and dont leave yourself extra vulnerable on the trail.

And, why would you want 2" lift and 37s anyways? Not really seeing the logic there, but maybe you answered that Q already. :idontknow:

Exactly what he said! If you want 37s then do it right and get a real lift no bb and a new drive shaft and gears. If you can't get a lift right away save your money until you can. Be patient and do it right and only buy stuff once.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Tire size makes no difference. On your 2014, if you run shocks that offer too much droop, you will damage your front drive shaft. Shock extensions will help compensate for the extra lift but are still short enough to prevent too much droop. If you were to run new shocks that were about the same length as a shock with an extension, you would be okay but, I don't know of too many shocks that come in this length. Most come in a stock length or long enough to be a problem.

If you are running 4.10 gears, running 37's won't be too bad. I have done it but can tell you that your performance would be much better with a regear. Also, you should know that running 37's will put a LOT of strain on your front axle shafts and make turning a lot harder. If you're going to go this big, you really should be prepared to spend more money or else your ride and off roading capabilities will just be okay. But hey, that's just me.

Spartan

Thanks for all the input :)
Two more possibly stupid question.

Is the drive shaft on the 2012+ JKU shorter then the one on the Older JKU,
And if so is it because of the new engine?

Last edited:
Top Bottom