JKS vs Synergy track bar & sector shaft brackets

dgriz

I'll be putting on 35" Nittos soon so I'm in the process of getting everything ready underneath. One of the things that was recommended to me is a track bar and sector shaft bracket.

Synergy's bracket is less expensive than JKS, but I'm not sure it's compatible with my JKS adjustable track bar. I could use some feedback.

Synergy
ppm-8069.lg.jpg

JKS
ogs166kitmd.jpg

Which route should I go? If my track bar will fit on both, which one would you run with?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who would recommended this upgrade just for 35's? :naw:

Honestly, save your money. I have run and still run 37's on my 2012 JK without either and without any problems.

dgriz

Who would recommended this upgrade just for 35's? :naw:

Honestly, save your money. I have run and still run 37's on my 2012 JK without either and without any problems.

Eddie - "The King of Saving Me Money"

I should just start checking with you before I go crazy with new parts and projects. :broke:

Stupid question, I know, but if a person had hydro assist and the sector shaft broke, could they still steer ( even minimally ) with just the hydro ram?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know Eddie has done it on the trail before.

Yup. Done it and it does suck.

Are you serious?! That's nuts!! Who carries a spare sector shaft? Talk about being prepared!

Ummm, me :crazyeyes:

Stupid question, I know, but if a person had hydro assist and the sector shaft broke, could they still steer ( even minimally ) with just the hydro ram?

Yes. It's next to nothing like 2% steering but, it is better than nothing.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Are you serious?! That's nuts!! Who carries a spare sector shaft? Talk about being prepared!

Yup. Done it and it does suck.

Ummm, me :crazyeyes:

I've been thinking about adding one to the mix of spare parts I carry. And after hearing what it takes to change one after a break, I hope I never ever, ever, ever have to do it. :yup:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking about adding one to the mix of spare parts I carry. And after hearing what it takes to change one after I break, I hope I never ever, ever, ever have to do it. :yup:

If you have the room, carrying a whole steering box would be a lot easier to replace especially if you don't have a ram.

Having said that, in the 7+ years I have been wheeling Moby and putting almost 130,000 miles on him, without a brace and with most of those miles running super heavy 40" Toyo's and a ProRock 60 and I have only broken 1 sector shaft. I should note that I knew exactly when it started to break and it was when I hit that stupid tree really hard on Red Bird. The hit was so great that the steering wheel got thrown out of my hands as it spun. The break was from twist - NOT a side load as a brace would help mitigate. Braces were needed on old CJ's as the frames were flimsy and I used to have one on my old CJ7 but, they really aren't needed on a JK.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If you have the room, carrying a whole steering box would be a lot easier to replace especially if you don't have a ram.

I was just thinking about this morning after our discussion and came to the same conclusion. I think getting the entire box now will work and then I'll have a spare shaft from it when I move to hydro (and a non-ported box). Unless I am missing something. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was just thinking about this morning after our discussion and came to the same conclusion. I think getting the entire box now will work and then I'll have a spare shaft from it when I move to hydro (and a non-ported box). Unless I am missing something. :thinking:

The only thing you might be missing is the fact that if you go with something like a PSC, they typically use a Delphi box as it is stronger than the ones that come on JK's today. If you port your existing box, I don't know if sector shaft will be the same. It should be but, I haven't swapped one out before so I don't know for sure.

Top Bottom