What winch do I need?

CharlieK

I just swapped out my 35's for 37's and my Prorock 44 is on the way. I live in Florida and won't make it out West in the near future. Most of my of off roading will be more mud than anything else. I am looking at the Warn Zeon's not sure if I will 8000 will be enough or if I should go with the 10,000?? Rig is a 4 door Jk. Thoughts?

dhughes

Banned
Most of the jku people in my area run 10 and up. I live in Louisiana so lots of mud

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just swapped out my 35's for 37's and my Prorock 44 is on the way. I live in Florida and won't make it out West in the near future. Most of my of off roading will be more mud than anything else. I am looking at the Warn Zeon's not sure if I will 8000 will be enough or if I should go with the 10,000?? Rig is a 4 door Jk. Thoughts?

The 8K will be just enough. If you can afford it, I would recommend the 10k.

CharlieK

Thinking I will go with the 10k. One more question which I'm sure has been covered at some point, from a performance stand point what are the differences between cable and synthetic rope. I know there is a big price difference, I like the look of the rope, but not sure if I can justify the cost if it's just for looks? Again thanks for the help.

Christarp

Thinking I will go with the 10k. One more question which I'm sure has been covered at some point, from a performance stand point what are the differences between cable and synthetic rope. I know there is a big price difference, I like the look of the rope, but not sure if I can justify the cost if it's just for looks? Again thanks for the help.

It saves on weight a lot, I can tell you that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You save a hell of a lot more on than just weight. Synth rope also floats, wont splinter and get into your hands, won't rust and won't store energy. In other words, if it breaks, it won't hurt or kill anyone - just drop to the ground.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

cable has alot of recoil if it snaps, synthetic wont hurt as much.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
The price difference between a Zeon 8-s and Zeon 10-s is $100........ Just go with the 10-s and be done with the worry......my :twocents:

~Woodrow~

Serg5000

This questions comes up all the time. You will get pros and cons for both. Both store energy. Synthetic much less than steel. That said. If your winching you should have cleared the area of by standards anyway. Also. Proper maintenance will prevent damage to both line and cable. The synthetic has as many flaws as the steel does. I am a fan of steel cable. I work with it on a Dailey basis. If you address the hazards before they become dangers everyone can be safe.

Again. This question is going to generate many opinions from many different people. It comes down to what you prefer. Don't let folks talk you into buying one or the other. There is tons of info on both online. Take some time and research both. Figure out what best fits your needs. I hope I didn't come off sounding like a d!ck. I just think that one should consider everything before making a choice.

Good luck with your selection of what you need.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked

synth line is great but it also requires a bit more care as it's more prone to affects from the elements. If you're mostly in mud and use your winch, you'll want to clean the synth line after use with clear water. The mud/dirt tends to get into the inner part of the line and will cause it to wear faster than normal. It's also recommended to keep synth covered as UV affects is strength - I wish there were some long term tests on this so not sure how relevant it is.

I've used steal cables over the years and have seen them snap, a plus for synth on that safety issue. We always seemed to end up with a bunch of extra crap (blankets, carpet samples etc..) we'd use on the line in case it snapped. But while steal is prone to the elements, IMO not as much as the more expensive synth line.

Just something to consider for your wheeling environment.

Donny

I got a great deal on my Warn endurance 12000. REALLY wish I would have got a 9.5 or 10s. Been out with folks that have synth...so much easier to deal with and the safety factor when out with the family and friends should be thought about too.

Donny

Shaved Ice

It is harder to detect a weakened synthetic cable than a steel cable. For example, if the cable is weakened by petroleum products or long term UV exposure, it may not look like it has weakened. Anything that would weaken a steel cable would be easy to see by inspecting the cable.

Beyrgut

Also make sure the Zeon will work with your bumper, it's not offset like traditional winches. I am looking at the Zeon 10-s and the 9.5cti-s, just can't decide.

CharlieK

Lots to research, thanks for all the responses. Waiting on PS Brawler lite to come in, best I can tell the Zeon should work with it.

Jkjamesdawson

I'll never go back to cable. Synthetic is so much more user friendly. I use the shit out of my winch, the line is almost five years old and I've done very little maintainence. The only downside is cost, but really if you can afford a JK and a winch, you can afford synthetic.:twocents:

Top Bottom