Traction, ABS, and downhill assist lights turning on

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok so on Sunday after I got home from the beach I ran into an issue where my traction control was randomly kicking on and couldn't go over 15 mph, so I re centered my steering wheel and it fixed my issue for a second. After that second my traction control, ABS, and downhill assist lights came on. I disconnected my battery and let it sit. When I turned it on I was good to go....... I thought.

Fast forward to today, I was pulling out of my driveway and my traction control kicked on again. Pulled back in the driveway, turned the jeep off and back on. After I turned it back on the three above lights came back on. After driving for a min they turned off.

My question is why could be causing this to happen? I narrowed it down to 3 things after some research but can't find a definite answer. It either the speed sensor, unit bearing, or clock spring. All advise and help is greatly welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone

biggy

You need to get the obd codes pulled. Doing the key dance will not pull up abs codes so you need a quality scanner or bring it to a dealer or some auto parts stores will do it for free. It's probably one of the things you mention but a code will tell you which wheel it's coming from.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You need to get the obd codes pulled. Doing the key dance will not pull up abs codes so you need a quality scanner or bring it to a dealer or some auto parts stores will do it for free. It's probably one of the things you mention but a code will tell you which wheel it's coming from.

Ok cool thanks! My superchips doesn't show any codes so I will prob have to swing it by the dealer and have them look at it

Sent from my iPhone

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Here is the dash.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399516606.912401.jpg

Shortly after this pic they went out but a few mins later my traction control kicked in at 40mph! It was scary to say the least. The above lights came back on and the downhill assist was flashing as well

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Typically, when all 3 of those lights come on, it's because your steering wheel has been running not centered for too long. Being that you made sure your steering wheel is in fact centered, the next common reason for them coming on like this is that you have a bad speed sensor or there is enough movement in your unit bearing to give a bad reading. Being that speed sensors are cheap, I would start there.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Typically, when all 3 of those lights come on, it's because your steering wheel has been running not centered for too long. Being that you made sure your steering wheel is in fact centered, the next common reason for them coming on like this is that you have a bad speed sensor or there is enough movement in your unit bearing to give a bad reading. Being that speed sensors are cheap, I would start there.

Ok cool thanks Eddie! Are they easy to replace? If so I may order some tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looks like they are only $24 on Quadratec. I hope it's easy to install. Going to order these first thing and see if they can't ship them to me today since I live on the other side of town from them.

Sent from my iPhone

mt shawn37

Just had the same problem took it to the dealer to get the speed sensors scanned. Ended up being my left front sensor. Which happened to be the side that the brakes engaged on while driving down the road. Sensor was new out of the box had a broken wire. Good luck. I had been troubleshooting this problem for 3 days. Changed the sensor everything in good now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok cool thanks Eddie! Are they easy to replace? If so I may order some tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, real easy to replace. It plugs in at the frame and is secured to the knuckle with a 8mm allen if memory serves me right. The o-ring on the new sensor will make you work to get it into the knuckle but it's really not that hard.

biggy

It may be a bad unit bearing that's effecting the gap on the speed sensor. Both times I had sensor problems it was due to the unit bearing being trashed. A quick check is to jack one front tire at a time just off the ground. Grasp the tire at two points and try to wiggle it. If you feel movement then your unit bearing likely needs replacement. You should have virtually no movement. If its the bearing it will come with a brand new sensor in the box.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It may be a bad unit bearing that's effecting the gap on the speed sensor. Both times I had sensor problems it was due to the unit bearing being trashed. A quick check is to jack one front tire at a time just off the ground. Grasp the tire at two points and try to wiggle it. If you feel movement then your unit bearing likely needs replacement. You should have virtually no movement. If its the bearing it will come with a brand new sensor in the box.

Actually, a quicker check would be to give the top of your tire a good hip bump. No need to use a jack or anything. If the tire moves, your unit bearing needs replacing. If not, there isn't enough wear in the bearings to warrant replacement.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah, real easy to replace. It plugs in at the frame and is secured to the knuckle with a 8mm allen if memory serves me right. The o-ring on the new sensor will make you work to get it into the knuckle but it's really not that hard.

ok cool thanks eddie! im assuming i need to take the wheel off as well as the brakes and unit bearing to make life easier?

yea i have a spare unit bearing in a box at home. i thought i had a bad one 10,000 miles ago but i had no play in either of them. i will check them out as well tho just to make sure. thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

metaldemon

Mine was the right rear speed sensor. My dealer can't keep them in stock. They say it is really common, and they replace them all the time. Although I don't have hill descent. I am hating electronic more all the time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Mine was the right rear speed sensor. My dealer can't keep them in stock. They say it is really common, and they replace them all the time. Although I don't have hill descent. I am hating electronic more all the time.

Interesting. Was that causing your front end to lock up like what mine is doing?

Sent from my iPhone

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well I replaced both front speed sensors this weekend then went for a long drive today. After the two or so hours of driving I had no issues. I'm not crossing my t's or dotting my i's yet but I'm hopeful it's fixed

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I replaced both front speed sensors this weekend then went for a long drive today. After the two or so hours of driving I had no issues. I'm not crossing my t's or dotting my i's yet but I'm hopeful it's fixed

Sent from my iPhone

Glad to hear it :thumb:

Top Bottom