Bedliner

Devallee

I'm looking for something with line-x like texture, but something that's DIY. I don't feel like spending the money to have anything line-x'd. I'm liking raptor liner best so far because of the UV protection and it's the closest one I've seen with texture close to line-x but was wondering what other people have experience with?

Devallee

This stuff looks great but I was hoping to find something DIY that I could do myself. That being said, I checked out where their dealers are to get some quotes :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, Herculiner will be your best bet. If you have access to an air compressor, you can get a profession looking finish. Here's a write-up I wrote back when I did it to my old CJ...

http://www.4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html

Although, after having done it, I wouldn't recommend it. Your carpeting will significant noise dampening and has heat shielding built into it and on long drives through the hot Mojave Desert in summer, you will miss it.

biggy

I've used raptor liner and was very pleased with it. As mention you will notice an increase in heat but a good set of floor mats help to mitigate it. I still feel some heat but not enough to bother me. I don't live in the desert though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've used raptor liner and was very pleased with it. As mention you will notice an increase in heat but a good set of floor mats help to mitigate it. I still feel some heat but not enough to bother me. I don't live in the desert though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The key words is "live in the desert". It really is no big deal even in SoCal on a normal 70°F day but, I've literally seen boots melt on the floor pan of a Jeep without carpeting while wheeling in the desert in summer.

Devallee

As mentioned, Herculiner will be your best bet. If you have access to an air compressor, you can get a profession looking finish. Here's a write-up I wrote back when I did it to my old CJ... http://www.4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html Although, after having done it, I wouldn't recommend it. Your carpeting will significant noise dampening and has heat shielding built into it and on long drives through the hot Mojave Desert in summer, you will miss it.

I was planning on using a some floor liners like weather tech or something. The heat isn't a problem I don't travel much outside of California. Maybe Arizona or Nevada once or twice a year for Havasu or Vegas but not enough to keep me from doing it. I was also planning on using it on my armor as well (sliders, bumpers, etc). Will it hold up on those as well? Also I thought Herculiner was roll on..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was planning on using a some floor liners like weather tech or something. The heat isn't a problem I don't travel much outside of California. Maybe Arizona or Nevada once or twice a year for Havasu or Vegas but not enough to keep me from doing it. I was also planning on using it on my armor as well (sliders, bumpers, etc). Will it hold up on those as well? Also I thought Herculiner was roll on..

To be clear, I used to think I would want this but only after personal experience have I since decided it's not something I would recommend. It only takes one trip out to the Mojave Desert to appreciate carpeting but, that's just me.

Having said all that, Hurculiner "can" be rolled on but it looks like crap if you do. IF you have access to a compressor, there is nothing from stopping you from spraying it on as you can see in my write-up. The results look great so long as you apply the optional UV protectant as well. Proper prep is critical for a long lasting finish.

Devallee

To be clear, I used to think I would want this but only after personal experience have I since decided it's not something I would recommend. It only takes one trip out to the Mojave Desert to appreciate carpeting but, that's just me. Having said all that, Hurculiner "can" be rolled on but it looks like crap if you do. IF you have access to a compressor, there is nothing from stopping you from spraying it on as you can see in my write-up. The results look great so long as you apply the optional UV protectant as well. Proper prep is critical for a long lasting finish.

Well maybe I'll put off the tub and just start with the armor haha anybody else have experience with other bed liners? Just wanna keep my options open if anybody knows of some other stuff

Devallee

And Eddie I know you're in SoCal, do you know of any good sand blasters? The powder coat on my sliders sucks and I wanna bed line them to match the bumpers when they come in

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well maybe I'll put off the tub and just start with the armor haha anybody else have experience with other bed liners? Just wanna keep my options open if anybody knows of some other stuff

The only other bedliner I have tried using is the Dupilcolor stuff that comes in a rattle can. I would NOT recommend this as it goes on too thin and doesn't seem to last. It's fine to use on things like a grill or even armor but it will not have the kind of texture that you can get with a real bedliner. Having said that, I personally am not that big of a fan of bedlined bumpers and armor as it tends to be a dirt magnet. Of course, I know others who love it and clearly, it's a personal preference.

And Eddie I know you're in SoCal, do you know of any good sand blasters? The powder coat on my sliders sucks and I wanna bed line them to match the bumpers when they come in

Sorry, I don't of any. I've always just rattle canned right over powder coating.

jeeeep

Hooked
several friends have lined their interiors and even with UV top coat, the mud stains don't seem to come out and it looks bad. not sure if it's the type of mud here but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.

I decided to try another option to replace the carpeting, just installed it and we'll see how it does over time - the stock carpet still looks good after 4 years but it's a pia to clean

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I decided to try another option to replace the carpeting, just installed it and we'll see how it does over time - the stock carpet still looks good after 4 years but it's a pia to clean

what carpet did you go with?

Armydog

I'm trying the bedrug, it's raining hard today so it'll get a good wet test, and i plan to find some mud to see how it cleans up tomorrow..

I have been thinking about the bedtred.... please let us know how the bedrug works out, especially after a good soaking. SUBSCRIBED.

Top Bottom