Changed ball joints now have a bunch of lights on

Chattinfarms

Changed the balljoints on my 08 jku and now I have 4 lights in on my dash. The lights are airbag,abs,esp light, and espbas. I think I may have cracked a speed sensor but that doesn't explain the air bag light I don't think. Can't see the clockspring being bad cause it was fine before. My horn works but sometimes cruise won't turn on and it shuts off randomly. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

Sent from the business end of my jeep

jeeeep

Hooked
check your speed sensor make sure it's not cracked and grounding..then disconnect the ground from the battery for 15 minutes to reset.

9/10 times that works

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you strap your steering wheel before you removed your drag link and tie-rod? If not, you more than likely allowed your steering wheel to spin and your clock spring is now bad. The airbag light will only come on like this if the plug to the accelerometer is loose (highly unlikely for you) OR, if the clock spring is bad.

jeeeep

Hooked
Did you strap your steering wheel before you removed your drag link and tie-rod? If not, you more than likely allowed your steering wheel to spin and your clock spring is now bad. The airbag light will only come on like this if the plug to the accelerometer is loose (highly unlikely for you) OR, if the clock spring is bad.

taking both off at the same time would allow the steering wheel to spin? did not know that...good to know!

HDGasser

How does this make the clock spring go bad??

Just wondering cause I had my front end ripped apart and didn't tie up anything... It all seems to be workin, for now?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How does this make the clock spring go bad??

Just wondering cause I had my front end ripped apart and didn't tie up anything... It all seems to be workin, for now?

The clock spring is essentially a thin plastic tape that measures the position of your steering wheel and how many times it has rotated. If you allow your steering wheel to spin to far in one direction or the other, the tape can be damaged or ripped off.

HDGasser

The clock spring is essentially a thin plastic tape that measures the position of your steering wheel and how many times it has rotated. If you allow your steering wheel to spin to far in one direction or the other, the tape can be damaged or ripped off.

Sumamabitch, I guess if I woulda ripped it it woulda already told me it was broke.

Guess I got lucky

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sumamabitch, I guess if I woulda ripped it it woulda already told me it was broke.

Guess I got lucky

Oh yeah, if you have no problems, you're most likely fine. It's why I used the words "more than likely" as in it "can" happen if you don't secure your steering wheel.

Chattinfarms

Well crap now that you say that I didn't strap my steering wheel. Guess I need to get a clockspring. Where is the best place to get one

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well crap now that you say that I didn't strap my steering wheel. Guess I need to get a clockspring. Where is the best place to get one

your dealership is your best bet but you can find them online too.

Tcdawg

Well crap now that you say that I didn't strap my steering wheel. Guess I need to get a clockspring. Where is the best place to get one Sent from the business end of my jeep

I just replaced mine and ordered online through one of the Mopar discount parts places. There are quite a few, you may have one you have you used before. $210 shipped. The dealer was higher but can't remember how much exactly.

With that said, the first one I received from this vendor did not have the yellow tab in place to hold the clockspring in the correct position until the install. I hoped for the best and installed it but it had turned enough to be bad. Luckily, the vendor I used took the return, sent me a new one and it was fine. If you go with an online order, make sure they will take a return on the part if there is a problem. Lots of vendors won't take a return on electrical parts and I would think the clockspring could be considered such a part. I was fortunate with this particular vendor.

Top Bottom