Whats this thingy?

Devallee

It's that black piece connecting the radiator hose to the engine. What's that called? And is there a gasket between that and the engine or no? I'm getting a leak from around there as you can see, and was wondering if I need to just replace a gasket or that whole piece. Either way, I'm not sure what it's called so I don't know what to look up online. It's causing some slight overheating so I'd like to get it done asap. Thanks.

Edit: the second pic probably wasn't necessary I don't know why I put it up haha sorry about that

Attachments

• image-114362825.jpg
    image-114362825.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 311
  • image-180057839.jpg
    image-180057839.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

sean112280

That appears to be the thermostat housing and yes there is a gasket that goes there and its also good to use a lil bit of RTV

finger3

And as long as you are replacing that gasket, replase the thurmastat as well just for good measure.

07streetbobrider

I just changed mine on my Bronco. My neighbor who used to be a mechanic said not to use RTV so I didn't. It leaked and I had to do it all over again.:mad:

Tumbleweed

If you replace the thermostat, look carefully at the old one before you take it out. Make sure the new one goes in the same way. If you put it in upside down it won't open to allow the coolant to flow when it should.

finger3

If you replace the thermostat, look carefully at the old one before you take it out. Make sure the new one goes in the same way. If you put it in upside down it won't open to allow the coolant to flow when it should.

Good point!!! I forgot I have known people who have made that mistake:cheesy:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It's that black piece connecting the radiator hose to the engine. What's that called? And is there a gasket between that and the engine or no? I'm getting a leak from around there as you can see, and was wondering if I need to just replace a gasket or that whole piece. Either way, I'm not sure what it's called so I don't know what to look up online. It's causing some slight overheating so I'd like to get it done asap. Thanks.

Edit: the second pic probably wasn't necessary I don't know why I put it up haha sorry about that

Don't be surprised if after you replace the thermostat and housing seal, it still leaks. Plastic housings are known for warping which is typically what causes them to leak. I recommend pricing the whole housing with thermostat. Parts store may list it, might not have to get from the dealer.

Rayz

hmmm looks kinda like most other thermostat housings,,, check it out- you may be able to find an actual metal one ....but then again I am not a fan of plastic on engines....

Devallee

Thanks a lot guys! Headed to O'reillys right now. Finally something I can replace without breaking the bank haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would an aftermarket one be fine (any particular brands?) or should I try to find an OEM one?

Sorry for not chiming in sooner but, why is there a standard hose clamp on your hose? Did you do some kind of modification that required the replacement of the factory clamp? Before you go spending any money, I would assume to start there. Of course, that's just me.

Devallee

Sorry for not chiming in sooner but, why is there a standard hose clamp on your hose? Did you do some kind of modification that required the replacement of the factory clamp? Before you go spending any money, I would assume to start there. Of course, that's just me.

Yes I blew the hose about 4 or 5 months ago and just thought I'd replace the hose clamp as well, but if the standard one is better Ill start there, I still have it. I didn't know it would make a difference, and it doesn't seem to be coming from there it's leaking from around that gasket. But I'll put the original one back on and see if it makes a difference

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I blew the hose about 4 or 5 months ago and just thought I'd replace the hose clamp as well, but if the standard one is better Ill start there, I still have it. I didn't know it would make a difference, and it doesn't seem to be coming from there it's leaking from around that gasket. But I'll put the original one back on and see if it makes a difference

Well hang on, before you do that, what I'm recommending is that you take a step back and clean the area in question so that IF it still leaks, you'll know for sure where it's coming from. What I see in the pic looks a bit dried and crusty but, maybe I'm off on this. If it does turn out that it's your t-stat housing that's leaking, it might have been caused from you over tightening the clamp. Being that the housing is plastic, it can crack and this is why I typically like to stick with the factory clamps.

Devallee

Well hang on, before you do that, what I'm recommending is that you take a step back and clean the area in question so that IF it still leaks, you'll know for sure where it's coming from. What I see in the pic looks a bit dried and crusty but, maybe I'm off on this. If it does turn out that it's your t-stat housing that's leaking, it might have been caused from you over tightening the clamp. Being that the housing is plastic, it can crack and this is why I typically like to stick with the factory clamps.

I did clean it before to check and it's still coming from the gasket area. But I see what you're saying about the clamp, that does seem to be the best explanation since now that I think of it, it hasn't leaked until I put the new hose/clamp on there. The thermostat and housing is only about 30 bucks total so I'll just replace it all for piece of mind, but I'll put the original clamp back on. Thank you for keeping me from possibly making the same mistake twice with the new housing. I didn't even think about the clamp causing the problem

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did clean it before to check and it's still coming from the gasket area. But I see what you're saying about the clamp, that does seem to be the best explanation since now that I think of it, it hasn't leaked until I put the new hose/clamp on there. The thermostat and housing is only about 30 bucks total so I'll just replace it all for piece of mind, but I'll put the original clamp back on. Thank you for keeping me from possibly making the same mistake twice with the new housing. I didn't even think about the clamp causing the problem

Okay, just wanted to make sure. Sounds like you've got it covered.

I just read through the thread and don't want to step on any toes but, the new housing should come with a new gasket that has an RTV bead embedded into it. I personally would follow the instructions and just use the gasket WITHOUT adding additional RTV to it. But, that's just me.

Top Bottom