Bad rear end sound

ZuidJK

So I swapped out the gears in my jk for 5.13s this weekend and also installed a Detroit locker in the rear. I am now getting a "metal on metal" sort of sound coming from the rear end and I'm a bit scarred to drive it until I can get it back on the hoist this weekend.. Any ideas what it could be???

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
bad pinion bearing possibly. i had a grinding sound after doing my 5.13's and it turned out it was the bearing. it was honestly hard for me to hear tho since my mud grapplers are so loud lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I swapped out the gears in my jk for 5.13s this weekend and also installed a Detroit locker in the rear. I am now getting a "metal on metal" sort of sound coming from the rear end and I'm a bit scarred to drive it until I can get it back on the hoist this weekend.. Any ideas what it could be???

Metal on metal like a clunking?

StrizzyChris

Is it only around or coming out of turns or when going straight and spontaneous? You're in a tough spot because Detroit's are known clunkers but I don't want to dismiss it as normal since I'm not there listening and you destroy your R&P.

ZuidJK

bad pinion bearing possibly. i had a grinding sound after doing my 5.13's and it turned out it was the bearing. it was honestly hard for me to hear tho since my mud grapplers are so loud lol

Same I'm trying to listen at low speed cause the tires are a little loud at 70kmph +

StrizzyChris

Also what tires are you running? Extreme lugged tires like a super swamper can even cause the rotation to become uneven while going slow and straight causing it to engage.

ZuidJK

Is it only around or coming out of turns or when going straight and spontaneous? You're in a tough spot because Detroit's are known clunkers but I don't want to dismiss it as normal since I'm not there listening and you destroy your R&P.

I have also heard that before to but I feel like this isn't normal as when it clunks I feel it in the gas pedal a bit.. And when I'm going straight and spontaneously

StrizzyChris

Based on the inconsistencies in the timing and nature of the sound/jerking...I'd say to not drive it until you pull that cover and inspect the gears and look for shavings

ZuidJK

Based on the inconsistencies in the timing and nature of the sound/jerking...I'd say to not drive it until you pull that cover and inspect the gears and look for shavings

Yea thanks for the help to! I won't be driving it until it gets looked at.

36Fan

Detroit lockers bang and clunk, they are very crude at engaging and disengaging. I believe there are a few videos on youtube showing the noise? You can also feel it in the chassis sometimes, more annoying than harmful, you'll get used to the locker doing odd stuff.

ZuidJK

Ok so I had time this am and pulled the cover off and everything looked fine. I called northridge (where I got the gears and lockers) and they said everything is fine and that the noise is normal with the Detroit. I also youtubed the sounds that detroits make and others seem to have this aswell so I guess it's all good.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I had Detroits in an International Scout about 10 years ago. That thing clunked, chirped and bucked everywhere I went. Most people would look at me like I just broke some shit while I was driving down the road.

jeeeep

Hooked
neighbor across from me installed detroits on his dodge, I could hear him chirping around the corners and after riding with him I thought is was a bad install...turns out all was fine.

I forget what oil they swapped - did quiet it down a bit but it seemed to get better with mileage on them..

Just glad you didn't find out it was just you eating too many chili dogs with pickles and onions! :icon_crazy:

ZuidJK

neighbor across from me installed detroits on his dodge, I could hear him chirping around the corners and after riding with him I thought is was a bad install...turns out all was fine.

I forget what oil they swapped - did quiet it down a bit but it seemed to get better with mileage on them..

Just glad you didn't find out it was just you eating too many chili dogs with pickles and onions! :icon_crazy:

Haha nah almost 50% sure it's the locker!

Top Bottom