What all do I need in a lift kit?

JKBlackie

I'm still a newb when it comes to a lot of mods on my Jeep, That's why I'm here! To learn from you genius's!

I was just browsing at some different suspension lift kits, and I see some that just have longer coils and upgraded shocks and I see others with long or short arms, and I see some suspension lift kits that are $250 up to some long arm kits that are more like $1500. I was wondering if you guys could help me understand the differences and the things I would need in a kit.

I am very open to correction and teaching because I know very little about this stuff.
Thanks for helping me out!

hlax2525

It all depends on the type of wheeling you are going to be doing. If it is light wheeling and more just to get lift to fit bigger tires I would run a budget boost kit. If you are going to be doing some heavier wheeling, one of the most popular kits I have heard about at the moment is the evo enforcer. From there people then move to long arms usually and then coilovers, but that's besides the point. Most normal lift kits will come with coils, front lower control arms, longer sway bar end links, longer break lines and other items. Heavier duty lift kit will come with more control arms and track bars and other fun stuff.
Now if you plan to do some heavy duty wheeling and high speed in the desert, I would say long arms and bolt on coilovers are a good place to start. Now all of these mods will need to have axle and gear upgrades as well. Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions

jeeeep

Hooked
some money, ummm more money and then some more money after that...then you have to decide where you want to go and have fun!! oh you'll need more money for that :beer: :crazyeyes:

aemery

some money, ummm more money and then some more money after that...then you have to decide where you want to go and have fun!! oh you'll need more money for that :beer: :crazyeyes:

I seem to stuck at the first "more money". Newbie here too but I am working on it.

jeeeep

Hooked
research it out and really think about the types of trails you want to ride and other things you want out of it. if you're planning 35's you'll begin to want 37's lol but plan for future mods as much as possible and put the best you can on from the start so you don't have to swap parts and spend again too soon... a little extra time spent research and planning your build as well as the budget for quality now will save you $$$ in the long run.

I've see too many guys start out with a $200 budget and then get nickeled and dimed to an unplanned $1500 in a hurry. My best friend did the exact thing trying to save and then spent a lot just trying to get unplanned additional upgrades completed to make everything work. He scrap it all within a year and spend his tax return getting the suspension he really wanted to begin with.

There are some good budget boosts but look at the shocks included, most of those shocks are the cheapest type and you'll be better off investing in a better still affordable shock. if they include camber bolts, look for something else

have fun!

JKBlackie

Thanks so much for all of the info! I'm just trying to learn what's what in the world of lift kits. Your expertise is wonderful! Keep it coming!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a loaded question and I cannot type everything out on my phone. There is a thread on here that explains all of this stuff and stuff for newbies.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...stions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-JK-Wrangler

What he posted ^^^ The link above will answer a lot of questions that you will probably have.

Regarding your specific question concerning lifts, this is a sub-link from it that will assist you:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21017&viewfull=1#post21017

Top Bottom