Gluten Intolerance is a Mental Fiction

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a surprise :crazyeyes:

Good thing I never stopped eating pasta, bread and all the other fine products made with gluten :yup:

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Interesting read.........the original study planted a seed for the gluten free food industry to blow up into the multi-billion dollar industry it has become today.........amazing how one study can affect or infect ones thought and convince them that gluten is the source of the problem and make them spend money on gluten free products......smh

~Woodrow~

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
This crap really gets me fired up. My youngest sister has Celiac and was diagnosed at a young age. Her whole life has been a battle and in the past years things had finally started getting better for with the help of support groups, the internet and other factors creating increased awareness. Celiac can range from mild to extremely dangerous. My sister's case has always been on the more serious side. The smallest amount of gluten contamination even from cooking on a surface previously used for a gluten product will lead her to extreme vomiting and left unchecked would eventually lead to the worst possibilities.

Unfortunately the past couple of years have negated all of those gains with the increase in the gluten fad. Before "Gluten Intolerance", many folks especially in the restaurant industry were beginning to understand the importance of Celiac and Gluten. Now the waters have become so muddied with "intolerance" that the importance of Celiac has been lost upon many in the restaurant industry and food manufacturing industry. Many products sold on shelves today are misrepresented and marked as "gluten free" and "Celiac OK". Many of these products are manufactured or produced on contaminated lines or may not even be 100% gluten free in some cases.

Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off every time I see some "fad" chasing person creating a more difficult environment for sister.

JAGS

Hooked
Fads. That's why I've just stuck with the cabbage diet all these years. ;):cheesy: I will say, there are some folks with true allergic reactions to lots of things, including gluten. My sister was one when she was little. Thank goodness she outgrew most of them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I like people with celiac's since they are always willing to work with me but I hate the assholes who just want to eat gluten free because it's "healthy".

ProtocolJK

My Aunt and two cousins have a pretty severe case of Celiacs, so it pisses me off that all these people are jumping on the "gluten free" diet because it's the new fad.

pastorwug

My Aunt and two cousins have a pretty severe case of Celiacs, so it pisses me off that all these people are jumping on the "gluten free" diet because it's the new fad.

My feeling is this - if that means less MSG and more real "gluten free" foods for those that truly have the disease, then great.
I've been looking for MSG in foods now because of the outcry and it's surprising how many foods use it.
But, I am sure tired of having to provide "Gluten Free" options at every Church Potluck and dinner for those that "think" they are gluten intolerant.

I'm sorry for your aunt and two cousins but this whole thing has really gotten out of hand.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My feeling is this - if that means less MSG and more real "gluten free" foods for those that truly have the disease, then great.
I've been looking for MSG in foods now because of the outcry and it's surprising how many foods use it.
But, I am sure tired of having to provide "Gluten Free" options at every Church Potluck and dinner for those that "think" they are gluten intolerant.

I'm sorry for your aunt and two cousins but this whole thing has really gotten out of hand.

You don't HAVE to provide it. Nothing is making you. People with the disease know what to do if they are attending a function they are not sure about. I deal with it everyday through emails with people wanting help with foods they can eat.

Didgicon

I'm gluten free because I am a coeliac and seriously if I wasn't I would eat so much gluten. I hate that I have to be careful with foods and can't just eat whatever I want. The people that do it cause it's a fad are crazy cause seriously all the best foods contain gluten. Especially bread.

Top Bottom