DTD setup on a stock 44 axle? Anybody?

Sc741

Anybody have the DTD set up on a stock 44 axle? I am looking for a pic of the track bar bracket and DTD axle bracket set up. I have an Artec Industries track bar bracket and I don't think it is going to work without some modifications. I have not yet upgraded axles. :(

View attachment 83829 View attachment 83830

Attachments

• IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 282

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it'll work and even if you could, I wouldn't. You'd be better off saving up and doing it right the first time. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Sc741

are you referring to the axle or the brackets? I can always get new evo axle brackets and weld them in.

StrizzyChris

The whole point of DTD is the ability to fly through the desert....people bend stock D44 with traditional coil and shock setups all the time. No point in having the DTD unless you have an upgraded front axle

Sc741

I get that. Currently my axle tube is sleeved and gusseted. Plus I do not have deserts to blast through here in SC. Not till I get back out west anyways.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's like wiping your ass before you take a shit..........you just don't do that........do it the right way the first time.......and less mess as well:D

~Woodrow~

Well when it's really hot and you don't put a manpon on sometimes you have to wipe first.

Sc741

My shocks are shot, they won't hold nitrogen anymore for some reason and I am not happy with my coils at all. That's why I am doing the coil overs before axles. Doesn't mean I have to do 70 through the desert anytime soon. Parts are already here so it's a moot point. I already emailed Drew to see if he has info for me. I forgot to ask him about the track bar bracket when I ordered the DTD.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So why get a DTD?

This. I don't understand the point of going DTD if you aren't going to drive fast over bumps. Probably a lot better to just go bolt on coilovers.

Edit: accidentally said are instead or AREN'T.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My shocks are shot, they won't hold nitrogen anymore for some reason and I am not happy with my coils at all. That's why I am doing the coil overs before axles. Doesn't mean I have to do 70 through the desert anytime soon. Parts are already here so it's a moot point. I already emailed Drew to see if he has info for me. I forgot to ask him about the track bar bracket when I ordered the DTD.

I hope you know that no offense was meant in my question. Just asked cause I would never spend that kind of money on something I could never really use.

Sc741

I travel out west. Everybody relax please about the DTD on D44. I get all of this. Just asking for a bit a of help. I know it's been done. I am not the only one who has done this. Just looking for a pic. I will wait for Drew.

Sc741

I know Eddie. I understand I am doing this backwards. Just fed up with what I have and the constant filling of shocks with nitrogen etc. In the end I will have the proper set up. Just taking a different route to the goal.

I hope you know that no offense was meant in my question. Just asked cause I would never spend that kind of money on something I could never really use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I travel out west. Everybody relax please about the DTD on D44. I get all of this. Just asking for a bit a of help. I know it's been done. I am not the only one who has done this. Just looking for a pic. I will wait for Drew.

Honestly, I don't know of anyone with a DTD and an Artec truss installed. Being that the coil over mount wraps around the axle, I'm not sure how you would get it to work. I'd be interested in hearing what Drew has to say.

I know Eddie. I understand I am doing this backwards. Just fed up with what I have and the constant filling of shocks with nitrogen etc. In the end I will have the proper set up. Just taking a different route to the goal.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but if constantly filling your shocks with nitrogen was the catalyst to get you wanting a DTD, you may not be too happy with your purchase. Coil overs require regular maintenance and I typically have mine completely rebuild once every year if not sooner depending on how many miles I've put on them. They can still leak nitrogen, they can leak oil and the heims on them do go bad. Just want to make sure you are aware of all this.

Sc741

The good part of what I am trying to do is that side of the bracket is raised above center of the axle. I just don't know how much and if it might clear what I have. That's why I was asking for a photo to try and give me an idea. If I need a different track bar bracket, I rather have it ahead of time instead of when I am trying to weld everything in.

With regards to maintenance, I am ok with that. But, with having to fill my shocks up every three to four days gets old quickly. My plan was to always get coil overs. Just finally making it happen now. Thank you for the warning though. Mine leak nitro and seep a bit of oil from time to time. My shocks are Kings.

Honestly, I don't know of anyone with a DTD and an Artec truss installed. Being that the coil over mount wraps around the axle, I'm not sure how you would get it to work. I'd be interested in hearing what Drew has to say.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but if constantly filling your shocks with nitrogen was the catalyst to get you wanting a DTD, you may not be too happy with your purchase. Coil overs require regular maintenance and I typically have mine completely rebuild once every year if not sooner depending on how many miles I've put on them. They can still leak nitrogen, they can leak oil and the heims on them do go bad. Just want to make sure you are aware of all this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The good part of what I am trying to do is that side of the bracket is raised above center of the axle. I just don't know how much and if it might clear what I have. That's why I was asking for a photo to try and give me an idea. If I need a different track bar bracket, I rather have it ahead of time instead of when I am trying to weld everything in.

Got it and it's smart that you're looking into this ahead of time. I hope you can find a solution that will work for you.

With regards to maintenance, I am ok with that. But, with having to fill my shocks up every three to four days gets old quickly. My plan was to always get coil overs. Just finally making it happen now. Thank you for the warning though. Mine leak nitro and seep a bit of oil from time to time. My shocks are Kings.

Sounds like your shocks just have a blown seal. Being that the DTD coil overs are made by King, this is something you may still experience. It's happens and so long as you're aware of it and okay with it, I think you'll enjoy what you got.

Sc741

That's what I thought too. I got with King and they sent me parts and I replaced the seals and still leak nitro. The oil seeping stopped after the rebuild. They are old and starting to pit etc and to me not worth throwing any more money into them with my suspension plans.

Got it and it's smart that you're looking into this ahead of time. I hope you can find a solution that will work for you.

Sounds like your shocks just have a blown seal. Being that the DTD coil overs are made by King, this is something you may still experience. It's happens and so long as you're aware of it and okay with it, I think you'll enjoy what you got.

Top Bottom