2012 jk rubicon trans issue i think

Snsrubicon

ok so if anyone else has this or knows what is up any help would be great.

so when i am in 4 low and playing around when i put the jeep back into 4 high or 2 high the jeep will not move for about 30 seconds..it feels like it wants to but will not move. i have to move the shifter back and forth between 2hi and 4 high or shut the jeep off and restart it. then it works fine...motor , trans, gears all stock...nothing has been done to drivetrain at all..and i do not abuse the jeep...i do play hard but nothing out of the normal range. this has happened a few times now and getting concerned..all the dealers in santa clarita or the valley suck so i would like to go in with a little knowledge of what it might be...again any help would be great

scott

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know, we used to have this exact same problem and it drove me crazy being that it didn't happen all the time. Really, there were only a handful of times where it happened early on but don't recall having it for a while now. For the life of me, I can't remember for sure but, I'm pretty sure we haven't had the problem since getting our head replaced. I can't say for sure if that's what fixed the problem being that the head is totally unrelated to the transmission but, we may have gotten our computer flashed at the same time and perhaps, that's what fixed it. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

Benny

I don't think anybody has really figured this one out yet. I've had it happen 2-3 times now in my 13 and twice now the dealer comes up empty. Seeing that it seems to only be happening in the Rubicon autos, I'm thinking it's a communication problem with the t-case, engine and trans. I've found that with mine I just turn the Jeep off for a little bit and then it seems to reset it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, turning off the motor and starting it up again definitely worked for us and for the record, we do have a Rubicon with an auto.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Interesting. I had a similar issue while wheeling in Vegas last weekend. It wasn't 30 seconds but there was a delay. I'll have to see if it happens again next time out.

mrmet1983

Same here have a rubi auto and it's happened to me maybe 3 times over the last year but I do the same thing shut her down have a drink and then she's good to go

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Punisher417

It use to happen to me before as well. Kept taking it to the dealer and they would always come up empty. I also told them my engines tempts would go up drastically n I would loose all power. They then narrowed it down to the torque converter and replaced it. Since then I haven't had any of those issues.

Snsrubicon

tranny issues

It use to happen to me before as well. Kept taking it to the dealer and they would always come up empty. I also told them my engines tempts would go up drastically n I would loose all power. They then narrowed it down to the torque converter and replaced it. Since then I haven't had any of those issues.

well thanks for the input, hate to say I am glad I am not the only one but I glad I am not the only one..if I come up with anything in my quest I will let all of you know.

thanks again

scott

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I know this is much help, but I had an issue only ONE time where I put my jeep in 4-LO to pull up the yard next to the house (steep hill). Whe I got on flat ground it wouldn't come out of 4-LO, had to shift out of 2-HI and and back into 4-LO and go around the block, then it kicked out. Most likely a transfer case issue, especially since I have a 6-speed.

Top Bottom