EVO aluminum rear fascia quesion

mackey

So Brown Santa brought me EVO's aluminum rear fascia. I cant wait to get it installed. I noticed there is a little bit of aluminum fragment bunched together on the "E" where the EVO design was cut into the fascia. It's nothing major but with the OCD I have, I want the EVO logo to look super sharp and clean. So, whats the best way to remove a chunk of metal without totally dinging up or taking a chuck out of the bumper (fascia) itself. I don't own many tools but I do have a grinder. I am worried that the grinder will take to much out of it. This may sound lame but it there a type of sandpaper meant for metal? Or possible a file of some sort? Lastly, powder coating or spray paint? What works best on aluminum? Thanks for your help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got a pic of what you're referring to? That might help to determine the best way to address it. Regarding finish, I personally would just rattle can it with some frame paint. Dries fast, looks good and easy to touch up in the future.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Oh yeah, sanding block to make it flat and a sand paper it tiny file should work

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
A dremel with the spear tip sanding bit would make short work of this, but if you don't want to use a power tool, I'd say Eddie's suggestion of itty bitty zoolander set of files for ants would do the trick.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A dremel with the spear tip sanding bit would make short work of this, but if you don't want to use a power tool, I'd say Eddie's suggestion of itty bitty zoolander set of files for ants would do the trick.

Agreed. A Dremel is probably what I would start off with. Just take your time. You might even be able to carefully clean out the inside of the letter with a cutting wheel.

mackey

To Harbor Freight I go for some small files. Also one last question. To install EVO's rear D rings, what's the best tool to use to cut the frame gap so I can insert the nut in the frame. There is not a lot of room when trying to cut the opening from the rear, which is required when using the EVO fascia. Thanks for your help.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Agreed. A Dremel is probably what I would start off with. Just take your time. You might even be able to carefully clean out the inside of the letter with a cutting wheel.

A cutoff wheel would definitely work, just go slow on the dremel...those cutoff wheels will chew through soft aluminum pretty quickly if you're not careful.

BTW, this is a pic of the speartip I was talking about above...

294405_front500.jpg

Having said that, Im not 100% how large that "E" is in reality, so a cutoff wheel and/or dremel diamond bits might be the proper tools for this....

diamond-bits.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'm gonna guess this is just extra blow off material from the laser cutting. The "e" might be in good shape underneath this slag this type stuff.

mackey

Thanks for all the help. Got some files at Lowes and they worked great. I rattle canned it and will install tomorrow. Gonna look great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400987873.920531.jpg

Serg5000

I must say I was very surprised to see EVO offer a product that is strictly for looks. I guess all companies end up doing this. Just my thoughts.

JAGS

Hooked
I must say I was very surprised to see EVO offer a product that is strictly for looks. I guess all companies end up doing this. Just my thoughts.

Aren't many of the mods we do for aesthetics? That's the great thing about having so many options is in part getting the look you want. With companies like LoD, EVO Mfg, Rock Hard, etc, etc, you can get quality parts to change the appearance, functionality and capabilities of your rig. :yup:

The fascia is by far one of the least expensive (lightest if aluminum) options to having a minimalist "rear bumper" when running the evo carrier (or genright/ORFAB). There was a lot of demand for something like this from EVO, and I'm glad they answered with something that stays true to everything else they put out. Quality and looks bad ass!

fascia.jpg

Serg5000

I hope I didn't come across as bad mounting EVO. They are a good company without a doubt. They just haven't till now made parts with zero function. This is simply for looks

It was just an observation.

JAGS

Hooked
I hope I didn't come across as bad mounting EVO. They are a good company without a doubt. They just haven't till now made parts with zero function. This is simply for looks

It was just an observation.

I'm just an EVO "fanboy"/whore (some call us) defending my purchase. LOL. And just so you know the fascia isn't the first, they do sell shirts, stickers and hats. ;) Though all EVO products come with a money back guarantee promise to improve MPG by 0.37543. :yup:

Top Bottom