Teraflex hinged tire carrier

Patrfamilias

Has anyone had any experience with the teraflex hinged tire carrier? I'm thinking about getting it, but having trouble coming to terms with the price tag without knowing how good it works first. I'll be putting 37's on it.

E-man

There are many, many threads discussing this. You'll find a number of people that have had issues with them.

I have one and haven't had any issues with it. However, you may find that an Evo or other similar carrier may work better for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Patrfamilias

Wow.

I'll be damned... I did do a search before I posted this... Read the first 4 or 5 posts, guess I should have kept reading. Thanks for the link.

Flyer

I waited till they redesigned it a bit- probably to fix the cracking issue that some had. I bought one around 6-8 weeks ago and I run 35s. Install was easy though I did sand/prime/paint under the stock hinges (unpainted under there). I had the AEV tire carrier before this. The TF holds the tire a bit lower so I can see out of the back better. It also holds the tire closer to the tailgate so I can park in my garage even with the bike rack on and still have room to walk in front of it. Overall, I like it a lot.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
junk, if the tire hits a ledge even the "new design" will crack. and the rotopax design will shatter your rear window also if it hits also. buy American if you want quality

Patrfamilias

Teraflex

I'd really like to keep the length down as much as possible, and keep the tire as close to the tailgate as possible. I'd like to run no rear bumper. Are there any other options? If not, maybe I can run the un-American:dont_tell: teraflex and fab up some sort of skid that would deflect a ledge away from the bottom of the tire?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Evo, gen right are other options. American made and don't have to fab up stuff to keep it from breaking. Almost sounds like your mind is made up and trying to justify the future purchase.

JAGS

Hooked
OrFab without cans or rotopax will keep it close, genright and, if your going/wanting to run 37s an some point there is EVO carrier. EVO carrier requires rear corners. These are the few that don't have any safety issues.

- Jason

noroad

I'd really like to keep the length down as much as possible, and keep the tire as close to the tailgate as possible. I'd like to run no rear bumper. Are there any other options? If not, maybe I can run the un-American:dont_tell: teraflex and fab up some sort of skid that would deflect a ledge away from the bottom of the tire?

so not only do you not want to buy american but you pretty much said your ok with driving with bomb on the back of your jeep haha thanks ill stay infront of you, hope you dont kill a soccer mom that has 3 kids!!

Patrfamilias

Evo, gen right are other options. American made and don't have to fab up stuff to keep it from breaking. Almost sounds like your mind is made up and trying to justify the future purchase.

No, my mind isn't made up... I'm asking for suggestions, but I wasn't descriptive enough. I enjoy the clean look of just a tire on the back, without the "cradle" type carrier. It will be carrying a 37" tire.

Patrfamilias

Orfab

OrFab without cans or rotopax will keep it close, genright and, if your going/wanting to run 37s an some point there is EVO carrier. EVO carrier requires rear corners. These are the few that don't have any safety issues.

- Jason

OrFab doesn't look bad! Thanks!

StrizzyChris

If you're wanting to maintain one handed operation, like OEM, when opening your tailgate then you'll have to buy a bumper with a carrier. LoD, Poison Spider, ACE Eng. and a few others make nice options for this type of carrier.

I love my GenRight, and can also say that the EVO and Or-Fab carriers are solid/great carriers, but they do require a few steps to opening them and then the rear tailgate. Something to consider

lostinkorea

I love the look of the jcroffroad shield carrier. Its on the way as I type. Especially with the optional hilift mount.

Sent from my SHV-E310L using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

You can run the AEV carrier with no rear bumper.

...and there's a good idea :thumb:

I was considering when I was shopping around, but didnt even think to mention. I would go this route! It fits all of your described needs and no "craddle" design with it linked to the tailgate for single hand/mechanism of action.

Top Bottom