Teraflex hinged tire carrier

Man that sucks i was think about that combo!!

yea i know. i think jkjody was going to do the set up but the way that the aev carrier connects to the frame rail on the passanger side it will not allow you. you could always just run the evo dring on the driver side only

it may have been mentioned already but i didn't spot it, you can run the TF hinge plate with the factory tire mount off the tailgate, this would remove the worry of the adjustable carrier cracking yet still give the tailgate the added strength it would need with the heavier rim and tire combo, the back spacing of the new rim will still allow the bigger tire to clear. this is what i'll be doing on mine. hope this helps. :thumb:

it may have been mentioned already but i didn't spot it, you can run the TF hinge plate with the factory tire mount off the tailgate, this would remove the worry of the adjustable carrier cracking yet still give the tailgate the added strength it would need with the heavier rim and tire combo, the back spacing of the new rim will still allow the bigger tire to clear. this is what i'll be doing on mine. hope this helps. :thumb:

The only problem(s) I see with that set up is for 400 bucks, your tire is still low, and sticks out further because of the less back spacing on the rim. The factory carrier really isn't designed to carry a heavy spare and hold up if you hit a ledge or the ground on a big climb. The factory carrier really isn't heavy duty.

Attachments

• 1401843348402.jpg
    1401843348402.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 172
The only problem(s) I see with that set up is for 400 bucks, your tire is still low, and sticks out further because of the less back spacing on the rim. The factory carrier really isn't designed to carry a heavy spare and hold up if you hit a ledge or the ground on a big climb. The factory carrier really isn't heavy duty.

this is all true but if you take out all the weak points then you start doing the expensive and hard to fix damage further in, same as the plastic vs' metal flares dilema.
i'd rather break a bolt on part than do panel damage. but thats just my :twocents: ;)

this is all true but if you take out all the weak points then you start doing the expensive and hard to fix damage further in, same as the plastic vs' metal flares dilema.
i'd rather break a bolt on part than do panel damage. but thats just my :twocents: ;)

I think if you hit with a teraflex hinge, your still going to bend your gate. And possibly break your back window.

ARB makes a nice one handed bumper tire carrier. It basically has a plate that mounts to the tailgate and is connected to the tire carrier arm with a turnbuckle so when you open the tailgate the tire carrier pushes out. It's a solid design and a easy install. Really nice bumper. It even has a catch to keep it open if your on an incline. Just got done installing one on a buddies TJ and it is very nice!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

ARB makes a nice one handed bumper tire carrier. It basically has a plate that mounts to the tailgate and is connected to the tire carrier arm with a turnbuckle so when you open the tailgate the tire carrier pushes out. It's a solid design and a easy install. Really nice bumper. It even has a catch to keep it open if your on an incline. Just got done installing one on a buddies TJ and it is very nice!

WAYALIFE APP 

i looked at the ARB one as i have the ARB rear bar on my JK but the carrier costs more than the bar does, like the look of it but couldn't justify spending the money on it.

Sorry but this is entirely not true. Te stock hinges are not the problem with the tailgate failing. It is the spot welds on the inside that crack and break from the weight and jiggling of the tire. The hinge won't do anything to prevent that.

Sorry but this is entirely not true. Te stock hinges are not the problem with the tailgate failing. It is the spot welds on the inside that crack and break from the weight and jiggling of the tire. The hinge won't do anything to prevent that.

the TF hinge takes the tailgate out of the equation as the carrier is bolted to it and would be supported by the hinge and the latch, the tailgate basically would become the nuts for the bolts to thread into and the locking mechanism, all weight is carried by the TF hinge

if i'm wrong fair enough but that looks like how it was designed

Last edited:
the TF hinge takes the tailgate out of the equation as the carrier is bolted to it and would be supported by the hinge and the latch, the tailgate basically would become the nuts for the bolts to thread into and the locking mechanism, all weight is carried by the TF hinge

This is how it was designed and it's how it works. I used to have it and with just the hinge it quieted the spare down a ton from just being bolted to the hinge and thus having all the weight off the tailgate.

So in the end, after paying $400 bucks, your still stuck with the factory carrier and it can still damage the tail gate.

My stock tailgate opens and closes fine. I ran the daystar bump stops for the last 30,000 miles with 35's and just recently took off the spare because the spot welds started to break. The teraflex hinge wouldn't do anything to prevent the spot welds from breaking. The issue isn't in the hinge it's in the gate.

My stock tailgate opens and closes fine. I ran the daystar bump stops for the last 30,000 miles with 35's and just recently took off the spare because the spot welds started to break. The teraflex hinge wouldn't do anything to prevent the spot welds from breaking. The issue isn't in the hinge it's in the gate.

You obviously haven't drank enough kool aid. Either that, or you installed your factory tailgate wrong. :idontknow:

Summary of Factory Vs. TerraFlex carrier:

Factory: Looks factory, cheap (included in your MSRP), many have carried larger (35-ish)tires but you risk warping, bending cracking, supported entirely by tailgate and factory body mounts.

TF carrier: Looks factory, EXPENSIVE AS ALL HELL, risk losing wheel/tire on trail/road, supported partially by tailgate and factory body mounts.

It's your money, but smoke and mirrors folks.

No, my mind isn't made up... I'm asking for suggestions, but I wasn't descriptive enough. I enjoy the clean look of just a tire on the back, without the "cradle" type carrier. It will be carrying a 37" tire.

You can run the AEV carrier without a bumper, it also has a nice amount of utility, with gas, shovel/hilift mount, etc. Costs the same as the Teraflex unit, but is much better built.

And if I remember correctly you run some of the heaviest 35s one can buy... Several 37s weigh more.

A buddy is running the same combo as you and the spots started to fail at about 25k miles (with the 35s, 35k was on the Jeep) I helped him weld a plate that had holes across it that lined up with spot locations. I then welded in the holes like a plug weld. He painted the gate and has been running this way for a year. IT seems to have really helped reinforce the gate. Best part... Total cost was less than $20!

I'll try to get some pics.

Of all the ones suggested, the only one I've seen is the Or fab carrier on my buddies JK. solid unit. I was too scared to do the install and was apprehensive about how permanent drilling body work is.

Top Bottom