What shocks to run with EVO plush ride coils ?

KCTW

In the near future I plan on getting EVO's 4" plush ride coil springs. I am trying to figure out the best shocks to use with them. I thought I read somewhere that the King 2.0 shock are tuned to be used with these coils. I am on a limited budget, so the only King's I could afford are the 2.0 non resevoir. I see these are around $1000 for the set. The thing is I can get a set of Bilstein 5160's for about $750. Would it be worth the extra cash to go with the King's or would I be just as happy with the Bilstein's? I have no experience with either shocks, so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
evo offers king 2.0 and bilstein 5100 shocks that are tuned for their plush ride coils and honestly, the bilsteins are really all that you need. they will do the job just fine and are a lot more affordable.

Robar

The Enforcer
I'm planning on getting the EVO 3" springs and Blistein shocks. I can't afford the King shocks either.

KCTW

Thanks guys. This was the route I wanted to take, but I was afraid I was missing something by not running the King's with these coils. A couple more questions I have is,
1- is the only difference between the 5100 and 5160 is the remote resevoir ?
2- Eddie you said Evo offers a 5100 tuned to these coils. I can't find em on their website. Do I have to call and ask for them specifically, or will a 5100 from any vendor be the same ?

Thanks again,

KCTW

I'm planning on getting the EVO 3" springs and Blistein shocks. I can't afford the King shocks either.

What Bilsteins are you going with? 5100?
I'm really eyeing the 5160, but I don't know alot about em.

Robar

The Enforcer
What Bilsteins are you going with? 5100?
I'm really eyeing the 5160, but I don't know alot about em.
I was going to get the 5100. The difference between the King 2.0 and the 5160 is only a couple of hundred dollars. I would do the King shocks before the Blistein if I was going to spend that much.

FoxC

I just switched from AEV coils and AEV spec 5100's to Evo 4" coils/ Evo spec King 2.0's. I wasnt that impressed with the AEV spec 5100's. If anything, the AEV 5100's were under damped and lacked enough rebound for small-medium/fast consecutive hits with their coils. On washboard trails...they just plain sucked.

EVO has it spot on with their spec 2.0's paired with the Evo plush ride coils...money well spent. I cannot comment on Evo 5100's, but I would hope they did better than AEV. Maybe someone that has the Evo spec 5100's could add to this.

:beer:

StrizzyChris

No, they are linear.

he is correct. they are constant rate and pretty soft based on the specs. are you asking because you are running a ton of weight or pretty stock? If you do have oversized tires, heavy wheels, heavy bumpers, armor, etc then these coils will sag a bit. May want to consider a puck lift in conjunction.

KCTW

I just switched from AEV coils and AEV spec 5100's to Evo 4" coils/ Evo spec King 2.0's. I wasnt that impressed with the AEV spec 5100's. If anything, the AEV 5100's were under damped and lacked enough rebound for small-medium/fast consecutive hits with their coils. On washboard trails...they just plain sucked.

EVO has it spot on with their spec 2.0's paired with the Evo plush ride coils...money well spent. I cannot comment on Evo 5100's, but I would hope they did better than AEV. Maybe someone that has the Evo spec 5100's could add to this.

:beer:

I saw you just switched over to this setup, and I was hoping to get your opinion. Did you notice alot of sag do to the added weight of your bumpers, winch, and tire carrier? I am getting the 4" coils, but I am thinking I will end up with more like 3" of lift because of sag. I'm ok with that as long as it sits level.

MTG

Caught the Bug
KCTW said:
I'm ok with that as long as it sits level.

EVO Enforcer with LOD signature shorty, EVO Rock skins, Protek skid system, 1/4 pounder with stinger and Warn winch.

image-1477343857.jpg

FoxC

as you can see with MTG's rig, even armored up you should end up around 3.5" of lift. A small amount of sag is a good thing as long as its level. I ended up right at 4"s but dont have my sliders mounted yet and they are pretty heavy.

snopro

Banned
StrizzyChris said:
he is correct. they are constant rate and pretty soft based on the specs. are you asking because you are running a ton of weight or pretty stock? If you do have oversized tires, heavy wheels, heavy bumpers, armor, etc then these coils will sag a bit. May want to consider a puck lift in conjunction.

I'm looking for a longer spring but not specifically stiffer. I'm currently running a TeraFlex 3 inch with a 1 inch spacer in the rear and In the front a 3 inch coil with an adjustable preload setup, but when fully articulated the coil gets really loose to almost falling out so I'd like to go with a longer spring then my current 3 inch preloaded with 1 inch. I'm thinking a progressive spring is what I'm looking for

Top Bottom