Squeeking in the rear upon fast accelleration

mackey

I have a 2012 automatic JKU. Just recently I noticed after being at a stop or almost stopped and I accelerate somewhat fast, I hear a loud squeaking sound coming from the rear of the jeep. Everything appears to be tightened and in place. After driving, the sound disappears. Once I stop and accelerate again, the rear area squeaks again. Its driving me crazy. Any thoughts? I have stock Dana 44 axles, breaks and u joints. I have a 1310 in front and 1350 in rear. Thanks in advance.

JandSJK

:thinking:Is there any smoke coming for the fender wells that shows up around the same time as the squeeking.:cheesy:I mean i heard that the 12's had more power.

Edit: sorry couldn't resist. Its in my smartass nature

mackey

Ha haaa. I wish. I just lubbed the driveshaft and am checking for loose bolts. Hoping it just needs a good lube. Trying to get to all the zerk fittings with the drive shaft still attached is a pain.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a metallic squeak or rubber like and is it just one quick squeak or a rhythmic one that last for a period I time?

mackey

It's a metallic squeak that starts once I began accelerating from a stop. Only lasts about 3-5 seconds and then disappears. After I stop and start again, same sound for another. 3-5 sec and goes away. I believe it's from the rear area under the jeep. That's what it sounds like.

ichthus

I had an issue that sounded similar on our 08 JKU. I tried using throttle while in park and was able to get the same sound...figured it was an exhaust shield. Couldn't isolate the problem, traded in the Jeep. Saved myself having to buy new tires too

Top Bottom