Synergy JK Tie Rod backspace requirements

Finn Sizzle

Hello all, I have this Tie Rod and I am getting new wheels this week, however I am seeing conflicting information and want to get specifics from people who already have this installed.

According to Synergy website, a maximum of 4.75" backspace and 4.50" is reccomneded

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-JK-Chromoly-Tie-Rod-p-16403.html#.U7Aq2dq9KSM

When I go to other sites, Northridge for example, it reads as 4.75" minimum

http://northridge4x4.com/shop/synergy-suspension-jeep-jk-chromoly-tie-rod-8002

The wheel I was aiming at is the Level 8 strike 5 which comes in a 4.5" backspace and a 5" backspace.

I just want to make sure I get the correct wheel I need to fit the tie rod. Can someone set me straight here so I do not buy the wrong wheel? Thanks for your help!

1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 MT
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary
TK5337

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Don't have the tie rod, but I would go with the 4.5 bs rims myself. Might save you some other headaches down the road.

Finn Sizzle

Right, 4.5" was the original target until I started to see conflicting info.

Anyone with this tie rod can share your setup?!

TK5337

Finn Sizzle

Thanks. That is what I had originally gone with (4.5" BS) and based off of Synergy website. I am still a bit unsure of all of the backspace and off-set items (what they actually mean) and when the wheel dealer said that the 4.5" BS would push the wheel out further because of the offset, made me question what I had chosen. I like to learn things as I do them, but this would be an expensive mistake if I bought the wrong setup.

I appreciate the feedback all!

TK5337

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. That is what I had originally gone with (4.5" BS) and based off of Synergy website. I am still a bit unsure of all of the backspace and off-set items (what they actually mean) and when the wheel dealer said that the 4.5" BS would push the wheel out further because of the offset, made me question what I had chosen. I like to learn things as I do them, but this would be an expensive mistake if I bought the wrong setup.

TK5337

In a nutshell, the more back spacing you have, the more your tires will get sucked toward the frame. The less you have, the more it gets pushed out from the frame. When running a tie-rod that has bigger tie-rod ends, it's important to run a wheel size big enough and with less back spacing to clear them. Make sense?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

TK5337

Hopefully this link can help clear some things up for you.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/infoWheelOffsets.do

suicideking

I have the Synergy tie rod and have 3.75" BS because I have 15" wheels. For 17's, go with the 4.5". For most, less is better for more clearance.

I will be switching to 37 ' s soon and will use wheels with 4.5".

Last edited:

Finn Sizzle

Right, so a positive offset with a lower # back spacing is the sweet spot. I think that is where I am at with my original setup with the wheels. Thanks for clearing my doubts on my setup.

TK5337

Top Bottom