Moving up to 37s

Jkmaxxx2011

Hey guys need some help. I have a 2011 JKUR. As of now it's got a RK 2.5 X factor lift. I'm running 295/70/17s now.

My friend wants to sell me his 37s but what will I need to run them other then gears?

I've heard new tie rod, axle strengthening, driveshafts?

What do I really need??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys need some help. I have a 2011 JKUR. As of now it's got a RK 2.5 X factor lift. I'm running 295/70/17s now.

My friend wants to sell me his 37s but what will I need to run them other then gears?

I've heard new tie rod, axle strengthening, driveshafts?

What do I really need??

Depends on how you plan on using your Jeep. Even with trimmed fenders, you'll still want a bit more lift if you plan on flexing your Jeep. If you install longer shocks and have an automatic, you will want to get a new front drive shaft. With more lift, you will want to get adjustable lower front control arms to set your caster and a drag link flip/track bar relocation kit so that you steering geometry is corrected. Longer brake lines and sway bar links will be on order as well. A new tie rod is not necessary but chromoly shafts with full circle clips is something i would consider getting.

Jkmaxxx2011

Depends on how you plan on using your Jeep. Even with trimmed fenders, you'll still want a bit more lift if you plan on flexing your Jeep. If you install longer shocks and have an automatic, you will want to get a new front drive shaft. With more lift, you will want to get adjustable lower front control arms to set your caster and a drag link flip/track bar relocation kit so that you steering geometry is corrected. Longer brake lines and sway bar links will be on order as well. A new tie rod is not necessary but chromoly shafts with full circle clips is something i would consider getting.

Thanks! I have longer fox shocks and longer brake lines front and rear. And also have new control arms all the way around.

Sounds like I need a front driveshaft and drag link flip and a tie rod.

It is my daily driver so I can't go too hard but I love wheeling it on the weekend. The sierras are right around the corner for us in Fresno.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I have longer fox shocks and longer brake lines front and rear. And also have new control arms all the way around.

Sounds like I need a front driveshaft and drag link flip and a tie rod.

Unless you tie rod is bent, you will NOT need a new one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's even better to hear. Mine isn't bent yet... Thanks for the advice. This is why I love this forum

Well, even if it does get bent, you'd be surprised at how easy it can be to straighten out on a cheap Harbor Freight shop press. Ask me how I know :crazyeyes:

Eddie you think you'll be coming near Fresno soon?

Sure hope so! I really want to do some wheeling up in the Shaver Lake area :yup:

Jkmaxxx2011

Well, even if it does get bent, you'd be surprised at how easy it can be to straighten out on a cheap Harbor Freight shop press. Ask me how I know :crazyeyes:

Sure hope so! I really want to do some wheeling up in the Shaver Lake area :yup:

Id love to get the chance to wheel with you guys. A lot of awesome spots in shaver! Bass lake is another good one too

Something else to keep in mind is you could have some issues with trail steering. The stock system just isn't up to the task so in time you may want to look at adding hydro assist. I knew my steering wouldn't be as good but I wasn't ready for no steering at all! I have no issues on most of my local trails but when I get into deep ruts or rocks and need to turn out, I can't. I now have this in mind and choose lines accordingly, but there have been two times where it really made things far more tricky than it needed to be if I could've just turned.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
What kind of driveshafts would be recommended to run 37's
1310's or 1350's :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of driveshafts would be recommended to run 37's
1310's or 1350's :crazyeyes:

1350's for sure.

Agreed, 1350 is what I would run with 37's.

On project JKs website they have a great write up on Coast 1310s

Yup, that's my write-up and back in the day, a 1310 is what I would have recommended but after 7+ years, I would only recommend one for 35's or maybe for the front only with 37's. The only u-joint you'll find on a factory shaft is a 1330.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Awesome you'll like those tires. 37s I feel are perfect for a jk I can't see myself running a smaller tire again

I'm feeling that way myself and I don't even have mine yet but I have been looking at pics of lots of 2 doors with at most 3.5in lifts and 37's and have to say they look awesome on the jk's:rock:

H8MUD

How long do you think I could go before changing that front driveshaft

I had 34" tires and 2.5 RK Flex and my drive shaft boot ripped when I went on my first trip wheeling on a 2-door. I would change it when you do the suspension.

Top Bottom