NEVER talk to the police!

StrizzyChris

This IS NOT an anti-police thread or a thread meant to get people all fired up to talk negatively about law enforcement. O dont want a single ill word spoken here about the people who do the work none of us want or are aren't willing to do. I have family in law enforcement and many friends that I care deeply about.

I want to post this for all of you on here who don't know a lot about the law. I admit that I know very little about "the law" my self. I will never speak to the police if I am being questioned about anything for that reason.

rockcrawler26

I say use your best judgement. When I was 18, I went to a party and after only 1 beer I decided to leave because the crowd was a little to crazy. I ended up getting pulled over on my way home because my taillight was out, which I knew. The officer eventually asked if I'd been drinking and I told him yes I had 1 beer about 20 min ago. He informed me that since I was under age he wanted me to do a sobriety test. I did and passed and he then informed me that technically he could arrest me for duii since I was a minor but that instead he will let me off with a warning since I was honest and didn't give him a hard time. I thanked him and was on my way. I later asked my uncle, captain for a police department in southern California, if all that was true. He told me it was. I then asked my friends dad, lawyer, and he again said that what the officer said about arresting me was true.

So since then I believe if you have NOTHING to hide then make it quick and painless for both of you. If you might have something to hide them don't self incriminate and don't speak.

You'll get cops that love their jobs and want to leave a good impression and you'll get some that go power crazy. Same thing at a 4 Wheel drive store, sales guy telling you the u-joint is fine just needs grease, or the one saying"it's shot and you should really get this $60 one".

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheStick

The decision to declare DUI checkpoints legal is ridiculous IMHO, but they are here to stay. Good information for knowing your rights. :thumb:

At least on the positive side there have been some good rulings recently. The flashing lights notifying drivers of checkpoints or speed traps and cops can't search your phone. I have hope that there is a trend to protect liberty again.

jason08JK

Not to flame this but if you have nothing to hide why worry. I have been though many DUI checkpoints and have not had issues. It's kind of like random drug tests at work. If you having to hide why worry. Yes police abuse their powers but as noted above must are just like us, doing their jobs.

It's part of society and as long as people get behind the wheel buzzed, drunk or high, regardless of what they think their tolerance is. There needs to some way to stop this action and possibly save lives. If you ever had a friend or family member hurt or killed by a drunk driver, your perspective changes.

Sent from iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

I actually found this video because someone I know was calling the kid a punk and that he deserves whatever the cops find him guilty of and I was in shock. The "do what they say and it'll all be over quickly and if you have nothing to hide then there shouldn't be anything to hide" mentality is sickening to me. We are supposed to be a free people who should never be detained unless we are suspected (with significant reason) of committing a crime. NOT to see if they can pry information out of us to find a crime that we may have committed. :idontknow:

I have hope that there is a trend to protect liberty again.

THIS!!!

seanb123

I actually found this video because someone I know was calling the kid a punk and that he deserves whatever the cops find him guilty of and I was in shock. The "do what they say and it'll all be over quickly and if you have nothing to hide then there shouldn't be anything to hide" mentality is sickening to me. We are supposed to be a free people who should never be detained unless we are suspected (with significant reason) of committing a crime. NOT to see if they can pry information out of us to find a crime that we may have committed. :idontknow:

I agree with the do what they say and it'll be over statement. These checkpoints remind me of nazi checkpoints back in the day. You shouldn't feel like you have to report where you are going what you were doing just because cops want to know. We have rights for a reason and if you don't use them they will be taken from you

TheStick

"...if you have nothing to hide then there shouldn't be anything to hide" mentality is sickening to me.

Totally agree. Having something to hide or not to hide has nothing to do with it. The simplistic argument has to do with what you value more, freedom or safety? People in prison have all their basic needs taken care of, the only thing they lack is freedom. We have moved more and more towards putting us all in a virtual prison, because so many people want things taken care of for them, more than they want freedom.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -TJ

I get the same treatment when I go thru the border patrol checkpoint outside of Las Cruses, NM at night. There's one agent there that has given me the third degree on several occasions, including demanding to know what I'm hauling (in a sealed trailer), who is with me and why (team operation in big letters right in front of his nose). Same checkpoint during the day, I get waved right thru without any questions at all. Same as all the other checkpoints I go thru, they usually never bother me.. But that one agent takes it too far.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There were several things that this officer did wrong, and I won't try to make excuses for his behavior.

(What follows is not directed at Chris, it's just my .02.)

That said, all of these "how to act like a complete douche so you can brag on the web that you know more about constitutional law than Chemerinsky" videos make me sick.

Punks like this are not champions of your constitutional rights...they are just punks. Roll your fucking window down, treat the officer with a little respect and, chances are, you will get respect back.

If you are truly worried about the degradation of your constitutional rights, get involved by becoming part of the system. Vote with intelligence in the political process, both locally and federally. That includes being involved in your local legislative process to help craft law. Earn a badge, walk a beat. Earn a J.D., represent someone in front of a judge. But don't act like a douche just for the sake of it and then pretend you are protecting my rights or giving anyone good information. A douche is a douche, no matter how many times they have read the Constitution.

Last edited:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
It's a shame cops can't use Saps anymore. That punk kid could use one across the face.

That punk kid did nothing wrong. When a cop asks where you are going, I simply reply with "traveling about our free country".
It's sad the people think he should be strong armed for traveling freely, committing no crime.

Bacon

There were several things that this officer did wrong, and I won't try to make excuses for his behavior.

That said, all of these "how to act like a complete douche so you can brag on the web that you know more about constitutional law than Chemerinsky" videos make me sick.

Punks like this are not champions of your constitutional rights...they are just punks. Roll your fucking window down, treat the officer with a little respect and, chances are, you will get respect back.

If you are truly worried about the degradation of your constitutional rights, get involved by becoming part of the system. Vote with intelligence in the political process, both locally and federally. That includes being involved in your local legislative process to help craft law. Earn a badge, walk a beat. Earn a J.D., represent someone in front of a judge. But don't act like a douche just for the sake of it and then pretend you are protecting my rights or giving anyone good information. A douche is a douche, no matter how many times they have read the Constitution.

Well said.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Sharkey for president.

2014 JKUR

StrizzyChris

That punk kid did nothing wrong. When a cop asks where you are going, I simply reply with "traveling about our free country".
It's sad the people think he should be strong armed for traveling freely, committing no crime.

I agree! I understand that if you just answer every question that the interrogating officer asks you, then you'll be on your way quickly.... but its bull shit that I have to instantly answer every question my new daddy in blue has about everywhere I've been, I've done, and about to go and do when I am a free and innocent civilian!

Yes, he was prepared for the cop to act like he did, which is the saddest part of it all. A "punk kid", who has committed no crime, is exercising his constitutional right and becomes the bad guy because he elicited a expected and common response from someone with a superiority/authority complex?

MTG

Caught the Bug

The guy was a douche because he had a camera and didn't roll his window down? :idontknow:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The guy was a douche because he had a camera and didn't roll his window down? :idontknow:

I'm my opinion, yes. He is intentionally trying to elicit an adverse reaction. If any other human being walked up to his car to ask him a question, he would roll his window down. He is intentionally trying to create the appearance that he is doing something wrong or hiding something by acting in a way that is not consistent with established norms in our society.

Really though, my point is a much simpler one. He is doing nothing to effect the true change of that which he complains about.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm my opinion, yes. He is intentionally trying to elicit an adverse reaction. If any other human being walked up to his car to ask him a question, he would roll his window down. He is intentionally trying to create the appearance that he is doing something wrong or hiding something by acting in a way that is not consistent with established norms in our society.

Really though, my point is a much simpler one. He is doing nothing to effect the true change of that which he complains about.

Oh please. If you can't have fun with bacon who can you have fun with?

I have a birthday coming up, maybe I'll feel differently after that.

;)

The video is highly edited and very biased in favor of the kid. Who knows how many times that kid drove through that check point trying to get a reaction on video.

Not to mention if you truly don't want to answer up at a check point. Pull your inattentive head out. There is a alternate route or 'exit' to every check point. Just go around. Not to mention the half mile of signs and lights before hand...and media coverage and cops swarming around,... etc etc.

Didn't mean to swat the hornets nest here. Just stating my opinion.
#bringbackthesap

Top Bottom