Hot oil!

Moochie

I have had it appear once. Transmission fluid is getting overly heated. You are supposed to come to a stop, put the gear selector in neutral with the engine on, and let it cool off. It would be a good idea to check your fluid after to make sure it hasn't been damaged by excessive heat. You can tell by the color If it has been burnt and also by its smell. It might be time to have your transmission serviced.

TheDuff

Make sure your not trying to climb things in 4 high, when you should be in 4 lo. Also you can add an aftermarket cooler.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jiblet

The 3.8 automatics really need an auxiliary cooler. B&M 70268 is popular.

If you got the hot oil warning the ATF was over heated. Personally, I would do a partial fluid swap.

Either a pan drop drain and fill (filter and 4-5 qts ATF+4) or use a mighty vac type pump to pull 4 qts out of the filler tube (might need to pump and refill more than once depending on the volume you can withdraw. If so, allow for mixing between pump outs.)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you need to be using lower gears. If you were on the highway and climbing a long grade, you need to turn off your OD and use 2nd or 1st. This will help prevent your transmission from hunting for a gear and will prevent over heating. If you were on the trail, you need to use Low range. As mentioned, check your transmission fluid and if it's burnt, you'll want to have it serviced.

JKFlyer

I put and cooler on my auto 3.8 and it helped bring temp down from avg 180-220 down a good 40 degrees. Regearing another 20-30 degrees

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Srainesrubi

I had been running thru deep loose sand requiring 4hi for about 2-3hrs prior to the warning with a few beer breaks in between I just killed it and let it sit for awhile so I think I'm ok il check everything to make sure and consider the trans cooler. Thanks guys!

Devallee

Had the same problem in my 09 more than a couple times. I had the fluid swapped and put in a tranny cooler and it hasn't overheated since. Get the cooler. It's a cheap insurance and one less thing you have to worry about

Mick5280

The first year I had my 09 jk I didn't really understand how to drive it I had the lite come on more then once then was told what everyone else has said if your on a trail you should be in 4 low I started doing this and have never had the lite come on again and I have put it through the ropes. Probably will look into a cooler in the near future

Mick5280

Top Bottom