Rear "adjustable" bump stops?

Petzl88

I am looking for a bump stop system for my rear axle and I am having trouble finding a good fit. I have 285/70/17 Duratracs with a 2" coil spacer in the front (with 2 inch bumpstops) and a 1" coil spring spacer in the rear with NO bumpstops.

I was wheeling last weekend into some good sized whoopdedoos and the front did not rub disconnected but the rear was rubbing on my fenders pretty good. I want to fine tune the bumpstops, so I don't want a 3" rear bumpstop or something higher. I want to put a 1" bumpstop in the rear and see if it rubs. If it does, I want to be able to bolt on another inch to make it work.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for a bump stop system for my rear axle and I am having trouble finding a good fit. I have 285/70/17 Duratracs with a 2" coil spacer in the front (with 2 inch bumpstops) and a 1" coil spring spacer in the rear with NO bumpstops.

I was wheeling last weekend into some good sized whoopdedoos and the front did not rub disconnected but the rear was rubbing on my fenders pretty good. I want to fine tune the bumpstops, so I don't want a 3" rear bumpstop or something higher. I want to put a 1" bumpstop in the rear and see if it rubs. If it does, I want to be able to bolt on another inch to make it work.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

You typically want to run a bump stop extension that is the same height as you have lift. That is why your 2" front spacers are paired up with 2" bump stop extensions. If you are running 1" spares in the rear, you really should be running 1" bump stop extensions. You should note that if you run a bump stop extension that is taller than the amount of lift you have, rubbing at a flex will be the least of your problems - bottoming out and hard will be.

285's are about the same size as an advertised 35" tire and what you really need is to trim your fenders and or run a bit more lift. A 1" body lift will help here as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, adjustable bump stops is NOT the solution here unless you'd rather bottom out hard enough to knock out your teeth on every bump. AT MOST, the OP should run 1" bump stop extensions to compensate for the 1" coil spacers he's running but beyond that, trimming the fenders and/or adding a 1" body lift is the way to mitigate rubbing at a flex.

Agree, run the min bumpstop needed to prevent rub and protect the shocks.
1" is prob all he's going to need.
OP .. Why not trim the flares ?

Petzl88

Thanks!

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. I will add a one inch bumpstop to the rear. I may trim the flares or add a larger spacer.

rosspaschall

You typically want to run a bump stop extension that is the same height as you have lift. That is why your 2" front spacers are paired up with 2" bump stop extensions. If you are running 1" spares in the rear, you really should be running 1" bump stop extensions. You should note that if you run a bump stop extension that is taller than the amount of lift you have, rubbing at a flex will be the least of your problems - bottoming out and hard will be.

285's are about the same size as an advertised 35" tire and what you really need is to trim your fenders and or run a bit more lift. A 1" body lift will help here as well.

So, you shouldn't run a bump stop that keeps the tire out of your fenders if the bumpstop is taller than your amount of lift?

Christarp

So, you shouldn't run a bump stop that keeps the tire out of your fenders if the bumpstop is taller than your amount of lift?

I think what he's trying to say is if you're running more bump stop than lift then you're going to be bottoming out earlier than you should be. This would be especially true if you had dual rate coils where you would use up all the soft section of the coil and before you can compress the firm section of the coil fully you're already riding the bump stops. The better solution would be to clearance your fenders or add a body lift to retain the intended amount of up-travel.

At least I believe that's what Eddie is saying here, correct me if I'm wrong.

rosspaschall

I think what he's trying to say is if you're running more bump stop than lift then you're going to be bottoming out earlier than you should be. This would be especially true if you had dual rate coils where you would use up all the soft section of the coil and before you can compress the firm section of the coil fully you're already riding the bump stops. The better solution would be to clearance your fenders or add a body lift to retain the intended amount of up-travel.

At least I believe that's what Eddie is saying here, correct me if I'm wrong.

Aaaaahhh. I gotcha. Think you nailed that one.

Top Bottom