C Flexing or bad Hub Bearing?

Eugene the Jeep

The last time I rotated my tires I noticed that the front passenger appeared to straighten up when it came off the ground. I used a framing square while the tire was on the ground to mark where the tire was located. I held the square on the tire while someone jacked up the passenger side and the bottom of the tire moved inward about a half an inch. Is this normal or something else.
I have replaced the ball joints on both sides and I plan on ordering the EVO C gusset kit soon and see if that helps.

attachment.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you've seen movement in your tire as it came off the ground and you're ball joints are for sure new, your unit bearings are most likely starting to go bad.

2013CGJKU

To my knowledge, the only thing that would allow slop like that in your front wheels is ball joints. I guess if your hub bearings were bad that would allow some slop there, but I would imagine that if they were that bad they would have already came apart and you would have a lot bigger issues than this.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To my knowledge, the only thing that would allow slop like that in your front wheels is ball joints. I guess if your hub bearings were bad that would allow some slop there, but I would imagine that if they were that bad they would have already came apart and you would have a lot bigger issues than this.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Actually, you can drive around with bad unit bearing for a while. Trust me, the ones on Rubicat have been bad for quite some time now and it shows :blush:

Eugene the Jeep

If you've seen movement in your tire as it came off the ground and you're ball joints are for sure new, your unit bearings are most likely starting to go bad.

I installed the Alloy USA 11800 ball joints April of this year, I hope there still ok. Would a bad hub bearing cause the inside of the tire to cup and wear differently?

Do you recommend just replacing the bearing of the whole hub assembly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed the Alloy USA 11800 ball joints April of this year, I hope there still ok. Would a bad hub bearing cause the inside of the tire to cup and wear differently?

Do you recommend just replacing the bearing of the whole hub assembly.

The unit bearing is a whole assembly and if yours are bad, you just need to replace it. It's really a pretty easy job and yes, bad bearings can cause your tires to wear funny but, shocks that aren't dampening properly can do that too as can toe that is off and, and, and... In other words, a lot of stuff but, it's always a good idea to take one thing on at a time. :yup:

ltdanlj

That sounds pretty bad- Are you getting any brake pad knock-back? If not, get those ball joints re-checked....

Top Bottom