front end moves up and down when turning the wheel

jeeeep

Hooked
after upgrades to the front end post-accident I've had nothing but gremlins beginning with the PSC Hydro assist, I've resolved the air leaks (thanks WOL's) but now when I'm still and turn the wheel side to side, I can see the front end go up and down, does this in both directions. I also hear a clunk in both directions.

I took it the installer, he looked at it but said he didn't see anything loose...hmmm I call BS, I hate it when a half-ass job is done and since they rushed to get it done after sitting on it for a month I've found several issues I've had to fix. he did ask when I could drop it off but it's a long drive and more rental car expenses...

This weekend I plan to loosen everything and check everything - I suspect the track bar is loose, also suspect the synergy drag link may be loose since my steering wheel is not as centered as it was.

Last, how do you adjust the PSC ram? the same way as a steering stabilizer? when I turn left full lock, I can see the wheel stop but the steering continues about another full turn??? may be a bad steering box or it wasn't properly centered.

Thanks for the help...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
after upgrades to the front end post-accident I've had nothing but gremlins beginning with the PSC Hydro assist, I've resolved the air leaks (thanks WOL's) but now when I'm still and turn the wheel side to side, I can see the front end go up and down, does this in both directions. I also hear a clunk in both directions.

I took it the installer, he looked at it but said he didn't see anything loose...hmmm I call BS, I hate it when a half-ass job is done and since they rushed to get it done after sitting on it for a month I've found several issues I've had to fix. he did ask when I could drop it off but it's a long drive and more rental car expenses...

This weekend I plan to loosen everything and check everything - I suspect the track bar is loose, also suspect the synergy drag link may be loose since my steering wheel is not as centered as it was.

Last, how do you adjust the PSC ram? the same way as a steering stabilizer? when I turn left full lock, I can see the wheel stop but the steering continues about another full turn??? may be a bad steering box or it wasn't properly centered.

Thanks for the help...

Okay, it sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First, your ram itself can be adjusted to a degree - on either end of it, you will see a lock nut near the heims and once loosened, you can adjust the length a bit. However, based on what I think I'm hearing, it sounds like your tie-rod clamp may not be positioned correctly. I would loosen it, turn your steering all the way to the left and then tighten your fully extended ram at that point. Turn your steering all the way back to the right and make sure that it can without the ram bottoming out. Adjust as needed.

Second, the up and down movement sounds plausible to me being that your ram may not be setup right. Your Jeep uses a track bar to hold the axle in place and whenever you're loaded up or totally empty, the physical position of your axle will shift a bit left or to the right. Now, at a stand still, if you crank your steering to the left or right and especially so with a ram that isn't adjusted right, the force from it cause your track bar to move to the point where it'll raise or lower your Jeep. If you've ever installed a front track bar, you'll know that it won't line up with the mounting hole unless you turn your steering wheel a bit to help out. Amplify that with a ram and now you've got movement.

As far as your clunking goes, yeah, sounds like you have something loose and it's shifting around. Most likely a track bar or control arm bolt.

Top Bottom