Best way to clean engine compartment

Mikead40

Kind of a newb question...but what is the best way to clean the engine compartment of my JK? Can I just take it to the car wash and power wash it? I've heard the engine should be running if you do it that way (???). Is there anything that I would need to stay away from (with the water) in there? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Kind of a newb question...but what is the best way to clean the engine compartment of my JK? Can I just take it to the car wash and power wash it? I've heard the engine should be running if you do it that way (???). Is there anything that I would need to stay away from (with the water) in there? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've done it with the motor off and running and it doesn't matter. Keep away from the intake and spray some simple green diluted in water on it first if it's really nasty.

jeeeep

Hooked
simple green, use the normal water pressure around the electrical...high pressure can force water into the fuse box

watch your alternator - don't let simple green inside or use high water pressure on it

I usually spray everything with simple green, let it sit a few minutes then spray it down.

Dean454

simple green, use the normal water pressure around the electrical...high pressure can force water into the fuse box

watch your alternator - don't let simple green inside or use high water pressure on it

I usually spray everything with simple green, let it sit a few minutes then spray it down.

Simple green is the best

Jaydoc1

Try this with Simple Green and you'll never do it any other way again:

1) Rinse the entire compartment and components off with low pressure spray. (Avoid the air intake, obviously.)

2) Hose everything down with Simple Green (I don't dilute it.)

3) Drive the Jeep for about 10 minutes to heat everything up.

The engine compartment will now look showroom new.

KJ_CJtoJK

1) Rinse the entire compartment and components off with low pressure spray. (Avoid the air intake, obviously.)

Many years ago I worked a couple of summers in the detail shop of a Cadillac, Pontiac, Jeep dealership (AMC jeep days), and what you described is similar to how they would clean engines in the used vehicles. They would spray down the engine with a liquid degreaser and then drive the cars down to self serve high pressure car wash and rinse the motor off after it had warmed up on the drive. The shop had a pressure washer but they said this method was easier and more effective. Of course we would avoid the high pressure spray around the distributer and would carry WD-40 to dry the ignition if it did get wet.

Mikead40

Interesting - I'll give it a try. Thanks!:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A little late to this thread but, I would also agree with the others here and say that simple green works well. I try to do it when the engine is cool or slightly warm but NOT hot. I spray it on full strength, let it sit for just a bit and then carefully rinse with a low pressure stream of water. Works great.

bkac

Caught the Bug
This stuff is absolutely amazing. If you try it i promise you will agree! Just be careful at full strength. It's like purple power on massive steroids but really cuts the geese and dirt without hot water. If your using a mobile go tot the fullsite link to see the products.

http://bluewolfcleaner.com

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

BrowHeezy

I spray WD-40 over the entire engine compartment of my boat. It keeps it clean, keeps the salt off and prevents rust. When the engine runs afterwards the WD-40 will burn off the manifolds, but thats normal. It was recommended by the dealership mechanic, and I've never had any issues. I was told that I could do the same to my Jeep, but haven't tried it yet. Has anyone heard of it or tired it?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I use simple green as well. after I am done and has dried I spray black magic all over then wipe it down looks great with all this. The black magic is for rubber , plastic and tires

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
hmm I really need to do this, guess I was too scarred for too long of ruining something. Thanks for the tips guys.

maxcustody

I clean mine as well.....I place a plastic bag over the air intake with a rubber band, just to make sure no water gets in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom