Brake Noise - teraflex big brake kit

JKFlyer

Hey...maybe this is simple, but in last few week my brakes have been making more and more noise. Running teraflex big brake kit w slotted rotors. the whole kit with their pads and master cylinder. OEM in rear. 2010 JKU on 37s lifted 2.5 inch.

after first installed, i had to have it re-bled so peddle would feel stiffer.

a few months later (present time) i have been noticing a brake squeal when my foot in nowhere near pedal. more when going slow. now its almost constant unless i really pump rakes and then it seems to stop but eventually comes back. definitely coming from passenger side of car but not sure if front or back. my guess is front. pretty certain. when i turn left, its constant for sure. straight, 50% of time it is there. Turn right, it goes away and there is no noise.

strange...

also, no dust cover on passenger side...just on driver side (not sure...maybe removed when they regeared or sleeved/gussetted).

any suggestions?

pvanweelden

i'll just throw this out there... does it seem to happen more after using reverse?
sounds like what my e brake was doing after I tightened up the e brake last year and one side was tighter than the other side :doh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check your brake pad glide clips. Sounds like you may have one that is shifting and is now makes contact with your rotor. You should be able to physically see this clip sitting on or very near to the rotor. To fix it, you can use a long flat head screwdriver and just pry it over. If you look at the clip carefully, you will see there is a tab on the end of it that is normally bent at a 90° angle but is now straightish. You can just bend it again to hold the clip in place.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I got a question, if you take your brakes that far apart. Besides just a brake line change, do you have to do a abs brake bleed with a scan tool? I was always curious about this..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I got a question, if you take your brakes that far apart. Besides just a brake line change, do you have to do a abs brake bleed with a scan tool? I was always curious about this..

Yes. This is especially true with 2012's and up. If you're replacing your brake calipers, the only way to get them really bled right is with a scan tool and to have it ABS bled.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Yes. This is especially true with 2012's and up. If you're replacing your brake calipers, the only way to get them really bled right is with a scan tool and to have it ABS bled.

Good to know, I wasn't sure what years of jeeps and since he went all the way to the master cylinder if a abs bleed was required.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know, I wasn't sure what years of jeeps and since he went all the way to the master cylinder if a abs bleed was required.

Yeah, even on 07-11's, if you go all the way to the MC, you'll want to do an ABS bleed.

JKFlyer

Check your brake pad glide clips. Sounds like you may have one that is shifting and is now makes contact with your rotor. You should be able to physically see this clip sitting on or very near to the rotor. To fix it, you can use a long flat head screwdriver and just pry it over. If you look at the clip carefully, you will see there is a tab on the end of it that is normally bent at a 90° angle but is now straightish. You can just bend it again to hold the clip in place.

this sounds very likely. will check out as soon as I leave work!

So if you just do break lines so you need abs bleed on a 10 ?

i just had brake lines bled on my 2010...never anything on ABS. would i notice something wrong if i didn't? I had my realy good jeep shop do the install so i would have though they would know... :crazyeyes:

I just replaced all 4 of my calipers on my 07.
As long as you don't let the res drain completely your ok. I wasn't even aware of the possibility but I left the cover on. Replaced the front two one week. Rear two the next. Normally bled the system w/ no issues.

JKFlyer

Eddie...u were right on the money. Pad in back side had loose clip...was digging in to rotor. All fixed now! Thx a million.

Coz - check this out in yours. Dead give away was line it was cutting in to rotor

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1407813669785.jpg
    1407813669785.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 1407813696427.jpg
    1407813696427.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 150

iRonin

Just curious, but was the noise you were hearing like an actual squeak or more of a low drawn out moan?

I keep getting told that JK's just notoriously have noisy brakes, but I seriously feel compelled to yell "Free Willy!" every time I'm edging down an obstacle because my breaks are letting out a noise I can only compare to that of a dying whale.

Here's a video I found of a guy with the same noise I hear:

pastorwug

Yeah, even on 07-11's, if you go all the way to the MC, you'll want to do an ABS bleed.

Is an ABS bleed something that requires special Dealer-type equipment or can us home guys do it with some special care in a special way?
BTW - I have no idea what that special way would be but I have bled brakes many times.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is an ABS bleed something that requires special Dealer-type equipment or can us home guys do it with some special care in a special way?
BTW - I have no idea what that special way would be but I have bled brakes many times.

Yes, you would need to have your dealership or a brake shop with a scan tool to do it.

JKFlyer

Just curious, but was the noise you were hearing like an actual squeak or more of a low drawn out moan?

I keep getting told that JK's just notoriously have noisy brakes, but I seriously feel compelled to yell "Free Willy!" every time I'm edging down an obstacle because my breaks are letting out a noise I can only compare to that of a dying whale.

Here's a video I found of a guy with the same noise I hear:

Started as a squeak but then turned in to a constant moan..but remember...these are aftermarket teraflex brakes so can't compare to oem

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Started as a squeak but then turned in to a constant moan..but remember...these are aftermarket teraflex brakes so can't compare to oem

It can happen with any brakes BUT, more times than not squeaky breaks are caused by a build up of brake dust, brake pad backing plates that are coming loose, semi-metallic pads, stones caught between the rotors and dust shields, etc.

JKFlyer

It can happen with any brakes BUT, more times than not squeaky breaks are caused by a build up of brake dust, brake pad backing plates that are coming loose, semi-metallic pads, stones caught between the rotors and dust shields, etc.

makes sense and good to know! :2thumbsup:

Top Bottom