Shocks

Christiang26

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know what is the biggest shock that can be use on a stock rubicon suspension? I will like to gain more down travel without sacrificing up travel.
Thanks for the help

You can run a longer shock but need to be mindful of their compressed lengths, and adding bump stop (loss in up travel)
The Rancho 9000's 29xl and 30xl are about 1-1.5 longer compressed and will add a couple inches down travel.
Some Rezy shocks have a shorter body. That's always a option too.

Christiang26

You can run a longer shock but need to be mindful of their compressed lengths, and adding bump stop (loss in up travel)
The Rancho 9000's 29xl and 30xl are about 1-1.5 longer compressed and will add a couple inches down travel.
Some Rezy shocks have a shorter body. That's always a option too.

That's the issue, that if I add bump stops I will loose up travel.
I was searching and found out that the rubicon shock collapsed length is 14.50", but I don't know if the shock completely compress when it sits at the bump stop or there is some more up travel left in the shock.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
That's the issue, that if I add bump stops I will loose up travel.
I was searching and found out that the rubicon shock collapsed length is 14.50", but I don't know if the shock completely compress when it sits at the bump stop or there is some more up travel left in the shock.

You would have to take out your springs and jounce pads and set her down at full bump to get that measurement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone.
Does anyone know what is the biggest shock that can be use on a stock rubicon suspension? I will like to gain more down travel without sacrificing up travel.
Thanks for the help

Why not ask for peace on earth while you're at it? :crazyeyes:

Seriously, it's pretty hard to run a longer shock without either lifting your Jeep or sacrificing up travel. Even if you could get just a bit more out of your shocks, what would we be looking at, and additional 1/2" if you're lucky? And truthfully, I seriously doubt it's even that much if any at all. Is it really worth the expense and trouble?

Almost all of it. I want to say at full bump = around 15" between shock mounts in the front.

Front rubi shock collapsed 14"
Rear rubi shock collapsed 14.75"

Christiang26

Why not ask for peace on earth while you're at it? :crazyeyes:

Seriously, it's pretty hard to run a longer shock without either lifting your Jeep or sacrificing up travel. Even if you could get just a bit more out of your shocks, what would we be looking at, and additional 1/2" if you're lucky? And truthfully, I seriously doubt it's even that much if any at all. Is it really worth the expense and trouble?

I thought that on the jk it was possible to run longer shocks to gain a little more down travel without sacrificing up travel. On my previous jeep that was a wk, it was possible to run 3" longer shocks on the rear without sacrificing up travel but they are completely different vehicles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that on the jk it was possible to run longer shocks to gain a little more down travel without sacrificing up travel. On my previous jeep that was a wk, it was possible to run 3" longer shocks on the rear without sacrificing up travel but they are completely different vehicles.

Sorry, that would be news to me. Is this something you just assumed or something that you heard from somewhere else?

Christiang26

Sorry, that would be news to me. Is this something you just assumed or something that you heard from somewhere else?

I did run 3" longer shocks on my wk (if I remember correctly the extended length was 3" longer but compressed length were 1" bigger) but there was like 1.5" of travel left on the factory shocks when it sat on the bump stop, so it was ok to run 1" bigger. But I am completely new to the jk platform so I am still learning

aaronstephen

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the help

You could always look into these. It looks like it has 2" more travel than the stock rubicon shocks and shouldn't unseat your coils depending on which coils you are running. (i.e., JKU has a little longer front coil springs than a JK)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_3004.htm

Top Bottom