Off center steering wheel

JKU-Tom

I installed my 1/4 pounder last weekend and since then I've noticed my steering wheel is off center. Would cutting the crash bar off have anything to do with this or is it just a coincidence. I found Eddie's write up to recenter it so I'll be doing that tmrw.

Christarp

I installed my 1/4 pounder last weekend and since then I've noticed my steering wheel is off center. Would cutting the crash bar off have anything to do with this or is it just a coincidence. I found Eddie's write up to recenter it so I'll be doing that tmrw.

Not sure what would be causing it, I'd just recenter it though as it's 2 bolts and you should be good to go.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

crash bar has nothing to do with it. i noticed mine was off also, my front end took a nose dive after the bumper, winch and stinger. i did re center it. then i got 1" spacers to make up for it and had to recenter again.

StrizzyChris

as you can see in the write-up its a super easy fix that takes a few minutes. That being said, as mentioned above, the crash bar has no impact on steering. Did you install a lift as well or just the front bumper? Did you wheel recently?

Steering changes are usually tied to two things.
1-Tie rod damage causing a change of the "toe" distance and slightly shifting of the drag link (usually occurs after hitting the tie rod on something)
2-change in front end ride height. This is after adding a bunch of weight and lowering the front of the vehicle or adding a lift and raising the front of the vehicle.

JKU-Tom

I have had the 3 inch Enforcer for a while but just replaced the stock bumper with the 1/4 pounder this weekend. Noticed the steering wheel off after this but never thought the extra weight lowering the front end would have any impact. Thanks to everyone for their help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the 3 inch Enforcer for a while but just replaced the stock bumper with the 1/4 pounder this weekend. Noticed the steering wheel off after this but never thought the extra weight lowering the front end would have any impact. Thanks to everyone for their help.

You have to remember that your Jeep has a solid axle that is kept in place with a track bar. ANY TIME you raise or lower your Jeep whether it's from loading it up with passengers and gear to running completely empty of gas, your axle will shift just a bit. Of course, an axle shift will cause a steering position change as well. Now, if you've added a lot of weight up front causing a measurable dip in height, this WILL cause a noticeable change in your steering position being that your drag link is connected to your axle and will be influenced by it as well.

Top Bottom