What is TOO much...

sethccole

In my endless mind twists on the VERY important decision of getting 2.5" and 35s or 4" and 37s, I came across the question: what is too much? Sometimes I look at 2 doors with 37s and I love them, other times, it looks over done. The same argument could be made with 35s being just right, or too small. So I ask, what are your opinions on what too much is?
Lifeofcustoms-Kraken-COP4x4-ExtremeTerrain-e1395933946416.jpg

TheStick

To me it is based on use. Running 37's and never doing more than dirt roads seems like a waste to me. On the other hand, 37's and running tough trails every weekend might start to seem small.

A JK on 35's will do more than 90%+ of owners will ever throw at it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the pic you posted is an example of WAYYYYY TOOO MUCH! :cheesy:

but in all seriousness it comes down to how you use it. for someone like eddie his jeeps are perfect and not too much at all! he has one for every situation needed. for others eddies set up would be to much cause they only see the trails twice a year. it really just all depends. to many variables.

KingCopperhead

Only you can decide where that line is. IMHO for most folks a stock jeep is too much. It's way over built from the factory when most of them will only crawl up the parking blocks at the mall :p

On the other hand, some folks like me who will only wheel maybe 10 times a year, may over build too! I've got 37s and a pr44 on my upgrade list. Do I need them? Hell no! But I like the look of 37s, and I'm not going to risk a blown front end ruining the few times a year I get to wheel.

It's all about what YOU want. Mixed in with a little bit of what you NEED, with a small bit of what can you afford lol.

Armydog

For me, there is NEVER ENOUGH! Wish I could afford my dreams...

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In my endless mind twists on the VERY important decision of getting 2.5" and 35s or 4" and 37s, I came across the question: what is too much? Sometimes I look at 2 doors with 37s and I love them, other times, it looks over done. The same argument could be made with 35s being just right, or too small. So I ask, what are your opinions on what too much is?
View attachment 95481

So, you've got to know that this JK joined us on an easy EVO run in Moab a few years back. Because of its size, it literally had to be trailered everywhere. Once on the trail, the driver was scared to death about crawling up a slick rock dome because the front end was unloading and was at risk of going over. You ask what is too much and I tell you that anything I can't drive as a daily driver and worse, I'm afraid of wheeling is too much. Of course, that's just me.

thardy

Banned
I saw that Jeep, or one identical to it, at the local Caffeine and Octane car show in Atlanta back a month or so ago. As soon as I saw, my first thought was, "well that was a waste of money."

Sent from WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I know that 'depends on how you use it' seems like a generic answer, but it really is true. There isnt too much that a 2 door on 35s would not be able to wheel. With the right modifications, 37s could make some trails easier. I think a 2 door looks great with 35s, and will put less stress on parts. I also think 37s and cut flares look great on any JK. If you play hard in the rocks, or have the proper equipment to go fast in the desert, 37s may be the thing for you. Just keep in mind that if you play hard enough, you can break anything. I just had an axle shaft failure on a 2014 JKU on 33s with only 5K on the odo.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
This JK is possibly the posterchild for "TOO MUCH" and may also be a finalist in the "most money spent with least capability" contest. From a form standpoint it appears to be a beast (I do like the muscular look), but probably not very functional. I always thought "Rattletrap" was the end all JK. I'm not sure I could get it plated in Colorado, and certainly can't park it in anything but a commercial building, and bring your banker if you break it. I still believe in "KISS" - keep it stock stupid. Definitely just kidding, but I do have to drive it and refuse to trailer it.:twocents::yup:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I think rattletrap is cool...the cop4x4 jeep just looks so clumsy, IMO. Rattletrap just seems more functional and somewhat capable depending on where it's wheeled. Also, having a stack bellowing black smoke on a JK is pretty neat too.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So, you've got to know that this JK joined us on an easy EVO run in Moab a few years back. Because of its size, it literally had to be trailered everywhere. Once on the trail, the driver was scared to death about crawling up a slick rock dome because the front end was unloading and was at risk of going over. You ask what is too much and I tell you that anything I can't drive as a daily driver and worse, I'm afraid of wheeling is too much. Of course, that's just me.

Don't forget they ratchet strapped it down to stop it from leaning

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Don't forget they ratchet strapped it down to stop it from leaning

And it looked like an old Honda Big Red 3-wheeler with balloon tires and no suspension as it haphazardly bounced it's way down the face of the dome. I was up above the line take pictures of the traverse and I seriously thought something very bad was going to happen.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
And it looked like an old Honda Big Red 3-wheeler with balloon tires and no suspension as it haphazardly bounced it's way down the face of the dome. I was up above the line take pictures of the traverse and I seriously thought something very bad was going to happen.

3 wheelers had a purpose

Top Bottom