What could be the problem?

JK'AJUN

So I have a friend that has a '07 JKU 2WD, and her build sheet says it has 4.10 gears. The thing is, her Jeep STRUGGLES to turn her 32" tires and has a mpg of 12. It's like she's pulling a huge boat uphill constantly.

I have a '11 JKU 4WD, with 3.73's, running 33" tires, and my Jeep has no struggle at all, with a mpg of around 16.

Is it worth her regearing her Jeep, or is there possibly another issue that's causing this? Cause to me, her Jeep should be running better than mine with those gears. And if she should regear, what should she go with to run 32-33" tires... 4.56, or 4.88?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I have a friend that has a '07 JKU 2WD, and her build sheet says it has 4.10 gears. The thing is, her Jeep STRUGGLES to turn her 32" tires and has a mpg of 12. It's like she's pulling a huge boat uphill constantly.

I have a '11 JKU 4WD, with 3.73's, running 33" tires, and my Jeep has no struggle at all, with an mpg of around 16.

Is it worth her regearing her Jeep, or is there possibly another issue that's causing this? Cause to me, her Jeep should be running better than mine with those gears. And if she should regear, what should she go with to run 32-33" gears... 4.56, or 4.88?

its doesnt sound like a gearing issue, it sounds like it could be something else. also 4.56 or 4.88 is too low of a gear ratio for just 33" tires. she should be fine with the 4.10's. hopefully someone else can give some insite as to what the issue could be.

JKWrang

Sounds less like an axle gear issue and more of a fuel injector issue - shes not getting enough power to the engine be it running too rich ir bruning inefficiently Check your usual ignition system suspects

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tigrcky

Ok first off crawl under the rear axle and look at the ratio ident tag on the difference cover, if it is 4.10s then look at getting the fuel, ignition system and compression checked on the engine... My best guess is it's a misprint on the listing and has 3.07s or an engine problem... Post what ya find out!

Sent from my whatchayamacallit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did her Jeep come from the factory with 32" tires? If not, did she make sure to properly calibrate her speedometer after getting the new tires installed? If not, that is her problem right there. Her shift points will be off and so will her overall performance.

JK'AJUN

Did her Jeep come from the factory with 32" tires? If not, did she make sure to properly calibrate her speedometer after getting the new tires installed? If not, that is her problem right there. Her shift points will be off and so will her overall performance.

We uploaded my superchips to her jeep and it seemed to help a lot... And with that being said, I feel like a dumbass. But I know without a programmer in my Jeep, it's still not as sluggish as hers is.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Did her Jeep just start struggling or has it driven like that since day 1? How many miles are on it? Check engine light on? Catalytic converters could be clogged.

StrizzyChris

As long as the speedo has been re-cal to tire specs, then move on to the next step...

Sounds less like an axle gear issue and more of a fuel injector issue - shes not getting enough power to the engine be it running too rich ir bruning inefficiently Check your usual ignition system suspects

I would say something along the lines of this! Is this a new Jeep to her? When is the last time it had a tune-up? If its still on stock goodies, I'd recommend replacing plugs, plug wires, cleaning/replacing injectors, run seafoam in a half tank until empty to clean those lines as much as possible.

JKWrang

As long as the speedo has been re-cal to tire specs, then move on to the next step...

I would say something along the lines of this! Is this a new Jeep to her? When is the last time it had a tune-up? If its still on stock goodies, I'd recommend replacing plugs, plug wires, cleaning/replacing injectors, run seafoam in a half tank until empty to clean those lines as much as possible.

Seafoam also works GREAT in a vacuum line... just be aware it makes a big smokey mess and will freak you out if youre unaware

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom