Flat Fender Flares

freebug

I'm in the market for flat fender flares. What would you guys recommend? Bushwacker is on the top of my list any pros/cons? Which ones should I stay away from.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm in the market for flat fender flares. What would you guys recommend? Bushwacker is on the top of my list any pros/cons? Which ones should I stay away from.

First of all Welcome to Wayalife! stop by and give us a wave! http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

second i would recommend that you cut your stock fenders. it is free and you can really personalize it. here is a thread of the stock cut ones so you can get an idea of what other members here have done.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3547-Cut-Fender-Thread&highlight=Flat+fenders

gleno99

I second cutting the factory flares. Cut them first. If you don't like them then, buy new ones. Only a little time wasted.

Edit: ok third.

freebug

I'll research cutting them. The reason I'm in the market is because I knocked one off in the Black Rock BLM Desert.... Not enough clearance and on the way home, it got ground down by rubbing on the wheel....

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'll research cutting them. The reason I'm in the market is because I knocked one off in the Black Rock BLM Desert.... Not enough clearance and on the way home, it got ground down by rubbing on the wheel....

There's a write up on how to do them. You might be able to cut the bad part off. Or find a take off.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
The bushwackers have a good fit and are relatively easy to install. I ended up ditching mine because I saw how easy they are to rip off on the trail after I witnessed a friend of my lose his to a medium sized tree branch (that we all thought would be "no probelem"). I'm going PSC on my build now. Most here go flat fenders and I may have considered that if I still had mine

Wankel

I have the bushwacker ones and they are kind of disappointing. Im going to replace them with the Poison Spyder steel ones. I was also chatting with Mickey Thompson at the Jeep & Truck Fest in June and mentioned they will be releasing their own, but didn't say when.

sean.m.adams33

I would agree with the others on chopping the factory ones. Most inexpensive option. I got people wanting to know what brand mine were all the time.

DA RUNT

Cut factory fenders are the preferred method, but if I was to buy aftermarket flats I would consider the mce ones. :twocents:

Yeep

I have bushwacker flats... They fit well and look good, but if (when) I do it again I will go with some metal flares... I kinda like the ace ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, trimming your factory fenders is what I would recommend. They flex, fold, bend and tear off when hit and can be reattached with ease. Hard tube fenders can take a beating but, you hit them hard enough and the energy WILL transfer to your body and cause damage to the thin sheet metal. Trust me, I have seen it happen too many times. Of course, the best part about trimmed factory fenders is that they are FREE!! :yup:

bkac

Caught the Bug
First of all Welcome to Wayalife! stop by and give us a wave! http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

second i would recommend that you cut your stock fenders. it is free and you can really personalize it. here is a thread of the stock cut ones so you can get an idea of what other members here have done.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3547-Cut-Fender-Thread&highlight=Flat+fenders

There are some in the link above.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Road_king

I have Xenon because I got a killer deal on them. I got the narrow ones and get plenty of mud on my side, hood, mirrors, etc. I like the looks and they are sure easy to wash off the mud on the bottom side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rangell

Trimmed factory fenders are the best imo, plus it's free.

X2! I love the look of mine, and realize I should have done it a long time ago.
eqe6anu7.jpg

Fowlrig

I went with Poison Spyder flares. I had them Rhino Lined before I installed them. I absolutely love them. They fall under Tube Flares, but they are flat enough for me.
The install was a 6 on the PITA scale, but I, like most here, love anything involving tools and my JK. Flares.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom