Teraflex LCA's question.

wolfsjk

So I did some light wheeling and noticed I broke a zerk already. Any ideas?

Also are my arm ends supposed to move around inside the bracket on the axel? I mean flex around tilting left and right?

image-3732838448.jpg

Markymark420

I not familiar with the teraflex control arms, but are the zerks supposed to be facing the ground?

As far as the movement you have noticed, if I am understanding you correctly, the torsional movement of the control arm is normal. The rod end bearing, where it connects to the bracket should also rotate with the control arm. This allows axle articulation without ripping the mounting points from the frame and axle.

Let me know if I answered your questions sufficiently.

wolfsjk

Thanks! All I wanted to know. The zerk wouldn't fit up top because of the bracket. But I am going to get needle zerks and hopefully will be more low profile than original ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I did some light wheeling and noticed I broke a zerk already. Any ideas?

Also are my arm ends supposed to move around inside the bracket on the axel? I mean flex around tilting left and right?

View attachment 5463

the zerk should have been pointing upward and greasing it would require you to unbolt the arm from the axle mount and lowering it. if in fact it was pointing downward, it was installed incorrectly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It would not fit with the zerk upwards. Top of the Brackets were in the way FYI.

the zerks NEED to be installed pointed up. i have installed multiple TF LCA's and have never had a problem and you shouldn't have either unless maybe you had too much positive caster set.

wolfsjk

Most likely the culprit. I cannot win :/ trying to do this jeep build on my own and cannot get a break. Trying to do this the right way. Well now I am $@&!?#, I switch the set screws before my install to the top and loctite them in. Now my zerks are on the bottom and set screws set for life. I'm screwed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely the culprit. I cannot win :/ trying to do this jeep build on my own and cannot get a break. Trying to do this the right way. Well now I am $@&!?#, I switch the set screws before my install to the top and loctite them in. Now my zerks are on the bottom and set screws set for life. I'm screwed.

nah, you're okay, just pull the zerks and cap them with set screws (DO NOT loc-tite them). when you need to grease them, all you need to do is remove the set screw, install a zerk and then grease. :yup:

wolfsjk

Most likely be using this site a freakish ton. Me being a newbie n all. Seriously this is ALL new to me. I've watch a bazillion YouTube vids and google until my fingers are toast to find out how to do this stuff. I like it though. Can't wait to get out on a trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will the set screws go all the way in or stop? :/

the set screws that came with your control arms were really just used as plugs and not to set anything. just tighten your new ones till they're flush with the joint body. check them periodically to make sure they haven't worked themselves free but, they really shouldn't go anywhere.

wolfsjk

wayoflife said:
the set screws that came with your control arms were really just used as plugs and not to set anything. just tighten your new ones till they're flush with the joint body. check them periodically to make sure they haven't worked themselves free but, they really shouldn't go anywhere.

Thanks man very much appreciative :)

Top Bottom