JK suspension

Johanv

My 2010 JK Rubicon is hanging 2,5 inches down to the front right (Drivers side in South Africa).

Jeep South Africa has had the vehicle and cannot tell me why. They also cannot rectify it. They replaced the sway bar actuator and left ball joint. Both front and back axles were misaligned. Jeep themselves consulted me on how to fix the problem as they didnt know how! I am quite disgusted with their service over here.

The shocks are not leaking and seem fine. I am not sure if it is just the coil?

Can you tell me what I need to look for to check if it is just the coil or give me advice on what else it could be. The vehicle does also have a 3,5 inch lift kit, Zone Nitro shocks and coils. Apparently Zone has a lifetime guarantee on their coils, so I am doubting this is the problem.

Kavanji

all jeeps in SA have a bit of a gangster lean to the right. the fuel tank and the driver are on that side. but 2.5 inches is rough! swap the coils from left to right and check it then. if it is still the same you have a chassis problem, if itleans to the left you coils are shot

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea it almost sounds like your coils are shot. Do you have at least 3" bump stops? If not you made your coils go "solid" which is causing it to lean

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it sounds like you have coils that have been over compressed. This can easily happen if you are not running bump stop extensions that are about as tall as your lift is.

CanadianJK

Not to hijack, but this is the first I've heard of 'going solid'.

I'll be searching, but if anyone has a quality link I'd take that too :)

jeeeep

Hooked
Not to hijack, but this is the first I've heard of 'going solid'.

I'll be searching, but if anyone has a quality link I'd take that too :)

going solid refers to the coil being compressed too much and will no longer recoil (push up) to its intended height and no longer provides useful support.

It's the opposite effect of a spring being pulled in opposite directions, once you pull it beyond a certain point it will no longer recoil back to it's useful shape.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, going "soild" is the technical term to describe when your coil fully compresses to the point where it's completely metal to metal - as in, the coil is now a cylinder of steel. "over compressing" a coil is a term used to describe the coil being compressed to the point where it will no longer return to it's original intended height.

noroad

Actually, going "soild" is the technical term to describe when your coil fully compresses to the point where it's completely metal to metal - as in, the coil is now a cylinder of steel. "over compressing" a coil is a term used to describe the coil being compressed to the point where it will no longer return to it's original intended height.

just learned something new today. check!:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL! Glad I could be of help.

Just to be clear, you DO NOT need to have your coil go solid in order for it to become over compressed. This is the reason why it's important to run bump stop extensions that are approximately the same height as the amount of lift you just installed.

CanadianJK

Having done some reading online I'm reading that quality springs won't be damaged by going solid, but cheaper ones will.

Is that wrong in your experience? Was planning on trying to sneak some up travel out of not using bump stops.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Having done some reading online I'm reading that quality springs won't be damaged by going solid, but cheaper ones will.

Is that wrong in your experience? Was planning on trying to sneak some up travel out of not using bump stops.

You still going to use factory shocks?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Nope. Haven't settled on a final recipe. But planning something in the ballpark of a 2-2.5 with MC fenders. Shocks are still TBD

I assume factory shocks would bottom out?

I was guessing you were going to run longer shocks without bump stops. Then your shocks would become your bump stops.

Top Bottom