NEW speaker HELP

AlexwBlkJK

Ok guys and gals....
I am looking to UPGRADE my stock speakers and can't make up my mind what to go with... sound/roll bar and dash both take 6 1/2" speakers... DID you know that on Amazon alone there are 2,086 DIFFERENT 6 1/2" speakers.... OMG... How do I choose??

I have always liked Polk, Kicker and Rockford Fosgate....I just want BETTER than stock speakers, not looking for a booming system, just loud enough to hear GOOD when running naked....

I have watched the video on speaker removal and replacement for my JKU, the work I can do with no problem...
Do they need to be a certain depth for mounting? or just whatever?

THANKS

Clem319

Subscribed! I also want better speakers. The kicker 6.5's are a direct plug in but seems a lot of people ditch them so they must not be that great.

utiadam

LOSER
Give us a price range you are looking to spend. You can check out my build thread "my billet rubi build" as it has pictures of my stereo installation.

AlexwBlkJK

I dont want to spend a mint... keep each pair under lets say $60... like I said, I don't need or want a thumping system, just a good upgrade in speakers...

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have the kicker direct replacements. Since buying my Jeep, I swore I wouldn't cut any wires to install aftermarket accessories. When I saw the kicker replacements, I figured they be a good choice since they're direct replacements. Priced good too. They sound a lot better than the OE speakers especially since I didn't have the infinity system. I'm like you also, in that I have outgrown the "wake the neighbors" sound systems. Just wanted something better than stock. Here are some comparison photos I took during the install... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410886372.980925.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410886381.039899.jpg

adamsnewone

Yes the kickers are a great option and only about 140-150 a set shipped. And if you want a little more ompphh after that, get an alpine ktp-445u power pack and wire that in. It's an extra 45 watts per channel. Did mine and now my volume on about 10 is what it was before at about 15-16 and the amp is only halfway up.

bking_1

I hear putting the packing peanuts in the sound bar behind and around the speakers helps push more sound down. I am wanting to upgrade as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I hear putting the packing peanuts in the sound bar behind and around the speakers helps push more sound down. I am wanting to upgrade as well.

Don't use packing peanuts, use poly fill. you can also get some strips of sound proofing inside and around the speaker hole to help keep the sound bar vibrations to a minimum.

I've used some roofing stuff but it stunk pretty bad and was a pain to remove

jeeeep

Hooked
Ok guys and gals....
I am looking to UPGRADE my stock speakers and can't make up my mind what to go with... sound/roll bar and dash both take 6 1/2" speakers... DID you know that on Amazon alone there are 2,086 DIFFERENT 6 1/2" speakers.... OMG... How do I choose??

I have always liked Polk, Kicker and Rockford Fosgate....I just want BETTER than stock speakers, not looking for a booming system, just loud enough to hear GOOD when running naked....

I have watched the video on speaker removal and replacement for my JKU, the work I can do with no problem...
Do they need to be a certain depth for mounting? or just whatever?

THANKS

what oem system do you have now?

I started out wanting to just replace speakers but having the infinity system and the oem amp, replacing just speakers with what I wanted became more difficult than I was prepared for. I ended up replacing everything and wish I had just gone with the mopar kicker speaker replacements.

The Focal's I have sound fantastic but I've also heard the Mopar Kicker replacements (made by Kicker for the JKU system) and for how I listen to music now they would have been fine. If you're just wanting to upgrade speakers and keep the rest of your OEM sound system I'd go with the Mopar Kicker upgrades. Anything else you may have to upgrade the oem amp or add an amp

Sithwindu

Has anyone hear of any good aftermarket sound bars? I have the alpine system (2013) but can't hear jack with top and doors on, would a speaker replacement help? Or would I have to change the head unit (volume limiter?)

LoPo

Caught the Bug

Don't use packing peanuts, use poly fill. you can also get some strips of sound proofing inside and around the speaker hole to help keep the sound bar vibrations to a minimum.

I've used some roofing stuff but it stunk pretty bad and was a pain to remove

I've used Dynamat with great success.

utiadam

LOSER
I've used Dynamat with great success.

I used about 120sqft of dynamat in my jeep and another 70sqft or so of dynaliner.

Then the stereo installation started.

I began by removing all the doors.
View attachment 94974
Removed the door panels
View attachment 94975
Then the window regulator assembly
View attachment 94976
Started applying Dynamat extreme to the inside.
View attachment 94977
View attachment 94978
View attachment 94979
Then applied Dynamat extreme under the carpeting
View attachment 94980
View attachment 94981
View attachment 94982
Then Dynaliner on top of the Dynamat extreme
View attachment 94983
Leftovers went on under the hood
View attachment 94984

Now time to install some speakers
JL Audio ZR series tweeters next to the OEM tweeters
View attachment 94985
Mounted ZR tweeters in the rear sound bar as well
View attachment 94988
JL Audio C5 mids and crossovers going in front and rear
View attachment 94986
View attachment 94987

Did the big 3 wiring upgrade under the hood
View attachment 94989
View attachment 94990
View attachment 94991
(The wiring didn't stay all messy like that for long)
JL Audio Cleansweep and Summing module going in
View attachment 94992

jeeeep

Hooked
Has anyone hear of any good aftermarket sound bars? I have the alpine system (2013) but can't hear jack with top and doors on, would a speaker replacement help? Or would I have to change the head unit (volume limiter?)

on or off? if off, there is a thread about making a jumper to keep the sound bar speakers fully active once you remove the doors. a different sound bar will not make any difference.

Sithwindu

on or off? if off, there is a thread about making a jumper to keep the sound bar speakers fully active once you remove the doors. a different sound bar will not make any difference.

Sorry ment off, just keeping the volume from going down once I disconnect the connection in the back would sound better!

jeeeep

Hooked
Jump pin 3 and pin 6 together. Pin 3 is purple/white and pin 6 is black.

I was just looking through my notes lol - this ^

how did the Big3 wiring work out? notice a difference? I've got all my wiring just got side tracked to complete it but need to get it done before I add other accessories

utiadam

LOSER
I was just looking through my notes lol - this ^

how did the Big3 wiring work out? notice a difference? I've got all my wiring just got side tracked to complete it but need to get it done before I add other accessories

It works great! Voltage drop is pretty much non existent all the way back to the amps. I'm running 1400 watts and voltage stays at 13.9-14.2. If I get a real heavy bass song it will jump from 13.6-15 volts. I imagine that will even out one I do dual die hard platinum batteries. I am running a 10 farad capacitor as well.

jeeeep

Hooked
It works great! Voltage drop is pretty much non existent all the way back to the amps. I'm running 1400 watts and voltage stays at 13.9-14.2. If I get a real heavy bass song it will jump from 13.6-15 volts. I imagine that will even out one I do dual die hard platinum batteries. I am running a 10 farad capacitor as well.

nice - I've done this in past autos but never really thought about it in a Jeep until upgraded the audio (nothing like yours lol) and got thinking about it with adding more accessories

Top Bottom