Question about stubby, offset bumpers with stinger

LiveFree0rDie

I've been really happy with my poison spyder rock brawler lite.

Recently, I had a MoTech LS 6.0 installed and Robbie warned me that my winch (Warn Powerplant 12000) covered a lot of the front grille which might cause heat issues. I told him that I've wheeled in AZ during the summer and the gauge only went up a couple notches when revving high and climbing hills.

He was right though. Driving the jeep back from LV to PHX, up the steepest hills the transmission would drop down a couple gears (yes, I'm a lead foot, and the 6.0 was so much better than the stock motor). The temp would start to climb. It never got past the 75% point, but that was a pretty substantial move.

So, I'm having the PS bumper looked at to see if it could be modded to sink the winch without compromising the structural integrity. On the off chance that this can't be done, I looked up some of the more popular Stubby/Crawler bumpers with offset winch.

EVO
LOD
JCR Mauler
Metal Cloak
Genwright
OR-Fab
and even Rock Hard, but they only have a short stinger.

Personally, I'm liking the EVO with stinger and the JCR Mauler. But I have a question about the EVO... it doesn't have a lower skid like the others. Since a lot of you wheel hard, I thought I'd ask: Do you mod the EVO to add a skid, Buy a separate aftermarket skid, or just not bother?

Also, are there any of these you would NOT recommend based on personal experience or known issues? They are all within $200 of each other, so cost probably isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Thanks in advance!

LFoD

HDGasser

Just for reference here is how an M8000 sits inside a GenRight stubby.

Also with the genright it covers the swaybar electronics and keeps the "crash bar" under it. I think with the evo you gotta cut off the crash bar or it looks retarded and flip up the sway bar electronics if you have a rubi.

That winch you have is a BEAST and probably the tallest one made. You may want to consider something smaller with a separate OBA setup. One thing to consider is that some of those bumpers may not physically accept your winch too, double check before you buy!

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Evo ¼ pounder, power plant. Crash bar cut for more ground clearance rubi motor flipped (as per evo instructions). This is what I have and couldn't be happier! Good luck in your bumper quest.

LiveFree0rDie

HDGasser... yeah the winch is monolithic, but with Monster air valves, it can get my 37" tires from 10psi to 30psi really fast... its worth it. Does the Genright come with a stinger?

Olram, I like the EVO, but are swaybar electronics exposed? A lot of bumpers in this class have a lower skid to protect them. I googled the dimensions of the 9.5 powerplant vs the 12000 and they appear to be the same, so at least I know it will fit without mods. I'm just hesitant about not having the skid below...

thanks for the replies

LFoD

olram30

HDGasser... yeah the winch is monolithic, but with Monster air valves, it can get my 37" tires from 10psi to 30psi really fast... its worth it. Does the Genright come with a stinger?

Olram, I like the EVO, but are swaybar electronics exposed? A lot of bumpers in this class have a lower skid to protect them. I googled the dimensions of the 9.5 powerplant vs the 12000 and they appear to be the same, so at least I know it will fit without mods. I'm just hesitant about not having the skid below...

thanks for the replies

LFoD

with the swaybar flipped, i've had zero problems. and to be honest, i've never heard of a person having problems without a skid.

2011jk

Did you use the JK rad or the aftermarket Motec one?
Add a trans and or engine oil cooler?
Can you read the actual temps with a scanner, may not be that hot.

I have a Expedition One Core Series Stubby, clears my 40" stuffed.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 169

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Evo protects everything since it covers the section of the crash bar you cut off. Once you flip the motor it sits up very high unlike the stock setup and this offers probably the most or close to the most clearance out of the bumpers on the market.

olram30

Evo protects everything since it covers the section of the crash bar you cut off. Once you flip the motor it sits up very high unlike the stock setup and this offers probably the most or close to the most clearance out of the bumpers on the market.

This is correct.
Here is a head on view. I don't think you can even see the motor. I do have the evo no limits also. Excuse the wires, I was trying to run them for the fog lights. Plus doesn't block the grill very much

Attachments

• 1411074566372.jpg
    1411074566372.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 151

LiveFree0rDie

Guys, thanks, that more or less answers my questions... the EVO will still be in my short list if I need to swap bumpers.

2011Jk... what is that end on your winch cable? I usually see hooks, but yours looks like a huge fishing weight.

LFoD

Armydog

Guys, thanks, that more or less answers my questions... the EVO will still be in my short list if I need to swap bumpers.

2011Jk... what is that end on your winch cable? I usually see hooks, but yours looks like a huge fishing weight.

LFoD

Looks like a factor55 link....

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411096025.206088.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411096049.917208.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

HDGasser

Those factor55 pro links are purdy & pricey, but if your gonna put one on the end of your winch line I'd recommend a viking thimble any day of the week over a F55.

All the F55 does is add another "link" in your winch line with a pin... But it looks good!

The Viking thimbles actually have to be spliced into the winch line itself.

More crap, more links to fail on safety equipment is no bueno.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fascinating. All of the guys I wheel with have hooks. I looked these up and they make total sense, but frick they're pricey.

Thanks for the info!

LFoD

Honestly, I run thimbles on my Jeeps now but will be switching back to hooks. Over the years, I have really learned to hate thimbles and can't count how many times I have seen them to be totally useless when the d-ring you want to use with it doesn't fit.

HDGasser

Honestly, I run thimbles on my Jeeps now but will be switching back to hooks. Over the years, I have really learned to hate thimbles and can't count how many times I have seen them to be totally useless when the d-ring you want to use with it doesn't fit.

Funny you say that, last time I had to yank someone they brought the strap and shackle and it was a cheap china chit 1" shackle. Thought to myself... Well that sucks.

I carry a few 3/4" Crosbys so I learned to use my own "rigging" instead.

greenenvey

I've been really happy with my poison spyder rock brawler lite.

Recently, I had a MoTech LS 6.0 installed and Robbie warned me that my winch (Warn Powerplant 12000) covered a lot of the front grille which might cause heat issues. I told him that I've wheeled in AZ during the summer and the gauge only went up a couple notches when revving high and climbing hills.

He was right though. Driving the jeep back from LV to PHX, up the steepest hills the transmission would drop down a couple gears (yes, I'm a lead foot, and the 6.0 was so much better than the stock motor). The temp would start to climb. It never got past the 75% point, but that was a pretty substantial move.

So, I'm having the PS bumper looked at to see if it could be modded to sink the winch without compromising the structural integrity. On the off chance that this can't be done, I looked up some of the more popular Stubby/Crawler bumpers with offset winch.

EVO
LOD
JCR Mauler
Metal Cloak
Genwright
OR-Fab
and even Rock Hard, but they only have a short stinger.

Personally, I'm liking the EVO with stinger and the JCR Mauler. But I have a question about the EVO... it doesn't have a lower skid like the others. Since a lot of you wheel hard, I thought I'd ask: Do you mod the EVO to add a skid, Buy a separate aftermarket skid, or just not bother?

Also, are there any of these you would NOT recommend based on personal experience or known issues? They are all within $200 of each other, so cost probably isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Thanks in advance!

LFoD

I'm having the same issue, my jk is back at motech because it was running warm. He found the condenser was a little plugged and a few other issues. But I'm also considering a low profile bumper for more air flow. Do you have a aeroforce gauge or something similar? When the stock gauge moves to about 2/3 it's actually running around 239 degrees on my aeroforce gauge. The only reason I mention that is because if I didn't have a actuall temp gauge besides the stock gauge I wouldn't realize how warm it was actually running. Although robbie said these engines can withstand alot I still don't like it running warm.

safecracker909

I had overheating issues with my Hemi. I choose to remove my Smittybilt bumper and lights and switched to a GenRight aluminum bumper with a stinger. I like how the Warn winch sits lower than the grill. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411232800.057200.jpg

safecracker909

How do you like that bumper? I'm wanting to get it for my rig 👍

I like the looks and lines of the bumper and that it doesn't pass the bodywork. I like how the winch mounts separately from the bumper and is tied into the frame. The weight is so much nicer than steel. I like that it is made in the USA.

All that being said, I would buy it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom